Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2019, 09:51 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekonick View Post
Keith Richards will outlive us all.
That has to be really bugging Mick. Mr. Clean Living and exercise for decades now, after he watched all the big 70s rock stars die off, and he almost dies of a heart attack a little while ago. Wonder if Keith visited the hospital room with a cigarette burning and a flask of JackD ready.

Keith sort of owns a local restaraunt (long story), so, I see him every now and then. He's grey. Not just the hair, everything.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:01 PM
cmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb266 View Post
I stream KEXP out of Seattle. It's radio that plays things you will never hear elsewhere, while playing some wonderful familiar music and great live tracks.
that and wber and 3wk .. whatever i can stream without having to login.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
All you guys didn’t go to skullfest and it shows

Im sorry but asking this question is like asking did McDonald’s ruin hamburgers.

They’re not good. Just don’t go. If it’s annoying, don’t listen

Last edited by jtakeda; 08-21-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Clutch has more than one album old enough to drink, hardly a "new" band. That's older than the Beatles and Stones music was in the eighties.
I'll take that though I'd pick on some of the math since Clutch put an album out last year, not 19 years ago. The Stones come out quite a bit better.

But that wasn't the point (rant?) I was making. It's that classic guitar driven music is still being made and it's pretty good. Society's tastes have moved on as they do and that's okay. If someone were to lament the current state of music it would cool if they were somewhat up to date on the people making the kind of music they like.

In the end I agree with the subtext of the OP. People are not making the jump to modern practitioners in the genre they enjoy. Whether that's nostalgic inertia, economics, or failure of marketing I couldn't say.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:00 AM

My parents

Some of these posts remind me of my parents and parents-in-law. Their thing was big band music. When talking about what's now called classic rock, they'd say, "That's not music, that's noise!" and "Who will remember the Beatles in 20 years? They're just a fad."

What I often listen to in the car is Little Steven's Underground Garage on Sirius/XM. They play everything from Chuck Berry and Etta James to soul and Motown to current artists on smaller labels. They have a rockabilly show each week. A diverse sound. A couple of their "house bands" are the Beatles and early Stones. They play lots of B sides and bands that have flown under most people's radar. Not much of what you'd call classic rock.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:03 AM
il Curmudgeoni

For those of you who do like classic rock, I'll suggest KSHE...IMO the best rock station anywhere.

https://live.kshe95.com/listen/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
And they don't play any UFO at all. Yeah not a big band but they have some great songs.
Most people have never even heard of UFO....let alone heard one of their songs. It's a rare station that plays a UFO tune.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohagen View Post

What I often listen to in the car is Little Steven's Underground Garage on Sirius/XM. .
When I had Sirius, that's the only station I could tolerate fro more than a day or two. Since the free sub ended, I've found a satellite station that plays a very wide variety., The Gamut. Satellite 3 on 103.5 in DC. I'm sure it's not just local. No ads, either. Just station promos.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
And almost all their shows are archived. WFMU from Jersey also archives their stuff.
Funny when someone mentioned college radio I was struggling to think of the one I used to stream... WFMU. hahahha

I like my local college radio station too and sometimes they even play my band

When they play "classic rock" it's more like Syd Barret Pink floyd and the Stooges or something like that.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:33 AM

"classic" rock

Sorry if mentioned (not reading 5 pages of "back in the day"), but it's interesting to me that classic rock for FM radio when I was listening to terrestrial radio was about '65-'80. Now, it includes the grunge era about from '90 to '95. about 20 years' span. It is 2019, 26 years from the end of grunge. This certainly puts including early 90's into the "classis" genre make sense.

Also, Deep Tracks on Sirius is awesome. That is all.

Andy in Houston
Old 08-21-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
For those of you who do like classic rock, I'll suggest KSHE...IMO the best rock station anywhere.
A very influential station under Shelly Grafman and Century Broadcasting but the sales to Emmis and then Hubbard doomed it. Just another corporate station.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:51 AM
mentholated

klos plays doctor doctor on the reg.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
I hate classic rock. avoid it when i can. It now dominates free radio. radio without paid subscription. In SA if the station plays rock at all it's some form of classic rock, 10 year old music minimum. new music from a new artist is rarely heard. It has to have been a hit somewhere else first. the neil young thread got me thinking. end of rant........well maybe, metallica anyone?
I checked the last songs played on 106.7 The Eagle in San Antonio from early this morning till now. This mirrors the two Classic Rock stations in the Bay Area perfectly with the same old tunes.

Bringin'OnTheHeartbreak Def Leppard
IHateMyselfForLovingYou Joan Jett
FreeBird - LynyrdSkynyrd
GimmeAllYourLovin' ZZ Top
RockYouLikeAHurricane Scorpions
WalkThisWay Aerosmith
WithOrWithoutYou U2
EdgeOfSeventeen StevieNicks
Oh,Sherrie StevePerry
IWantYouToWantMe CheapTrick
HereIGoAgain Whitesnake
TuffEnough FabulousThunderbirds
TurnThePage BobSeger & The Silver Bullet Band
18AndLife SkidRow
EyeOfTheTiger Survivor
IDon'tCareAnymore PhilCollins
WelcomeToTheJungle GunsN'Roses
TheJoker SteveMiller
TakeTheMoneyAndRun SteveMillerBand
NoOneLikeYou Scorpions
JukeBoxHero Foreigner
DreamOn Aerosmith
Runnin'DownADream TomPetty
LiveAndLetDie GunsN'Roses
EveryLittleThingSheDoesIsMagic The Police
AllMyLove LedZeppelin
Jessie'sGirl RickSpringfield
YouCan'tAlwaysGetWhatYouWant Rolling Stones
PourSomeSugarOnMe DefLeppard
AddictedToLove RobertPalmer
BadMedicine BonJovi
BohemianRhapsody Queen
Can'tFightThisFeeling REOSpeedwagon
CrazyTrain OzzyOsbourne
AnotherBrickInTheWall Pink Floyd
AgainstTheWind BobSeger & The Silver Bullet Band
That'sAll Genesis
Thunderstruck AC/DC
Dres FleetwoodMac
AnyWayYouWantIt Journey
TakeItEasy Eagles
Knockin'OnHeaven'sDoor GunsN'Roses
TheOneILove R.E.M.
WhatItTakes Aerosmith
KeepYourHandsToYourself Georgia Satellites
BadToTheBone George Thorogood & TheDestroyers
LoveBites DefLeppard
WeWillRockYou/WeAreTheChpions Queen
MaryJane'sLastDance TomPetty&TheHeartbreakers
TinyDancer EltonJohn
YouGiveLoveABadName BonJovi
Ma,I'mComingHome OzzyOsbourne
Shakin' EddieMoney
TheLogicalSong Supertramp
KeepOnLovingYou REOSpeedwagon
YouShookMeAllNightLong AC/DC
Rock'nMe SteveMillerBand
OnceBitten,TwiceShy GreatWhite
SharpDressedMan ZZTop
MoreThanAFeeling Boston
Angel Aerosmith
BangYourHead(MetalHealth) QuietRiot
HoldTheLine Toto
Don'tStopBelievin' Journey
Misunderstanding Genesis
BlackMagicWoman/GypsyWoman Santana
Mr.Roboto Styx
EveryBreathYouTake The Police
BlindedByTheLight Manfred Mann'sEarth Band
Dr.Feelgood MotleyCrue
Old 08-21-2019, 10:56 AM
bourbon!

Quote:
Here - try this for a shock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQNtGoM3FVU Seriously - I dare you to watch the entire video and then give me your impression. From the Ukraine.
That was really good, right up until the time she started growl-screaming (or whatever it's called). Then I had to punch out.

I know this stuff has some level of popularity, but whatever the appeal is is lost on me.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:58 AM
bourbon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Complaining about the actions of young people is peak paceline.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
I hate classic rock. avoid it when i can. It now dominates free radio. radio without paid subscription. In SA if the station plays rock at all it's some form of classic rock, 10 year old music minimum. new music from a new artist is rarely heard. It has to have been a hit somewhere else first. the neil young thread got me thinking. end of rant........well maybe, metallica anyone?
I like classic rock quite a bit -especially certain bands/artists like Cream, Hendrix, The Doors, Zeppelin, Blind Faith, The Beatles, Allman Bros, etc. However, I can't stand Aerosmith! Plus, as others have pointed out, "classic" is a constantly moving target. Keep in mind that Nirvana, Soundgarden, STP, Pearl Jam, Screaming Trees, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice in Chains, etc are now all over 25 years old. Regardless, classic rock is just one genre to listen to - we're not limited exclusively to listening to it. Pick out what you enjoy from it and combine it with your other musical interests.

However, San Antonio is somewhat limited from a radio station perspective, isn't it? I tend to listen to KISS 99.5 for rock or 98.5 for classic hip-hop when I'm there.

Quote:
There are some interesting underground new groups out there... Here - try this for a shock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQNtGoM3FVU Seriously - I dare you to watch the entire video and then give me your impression. From the Ukraine.

Yes - it is her voice. No she is not using anything to do it. The label did add an overdub, but other than that, it is recorded live in studio.

Different eh?
Wow! Crazy! Each of the musicians seems to be crazy talented. It reminds me of early Queensryche - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk84dVq644k .

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I think a lot of this is just ClearChannel/I Heart Radio controlling too much.
^This is the root of the problem.

Honestly, we're living in a golden age of music. We have decades of great music to choose from along with new stuff that's continually coming out. Technology has allowed small artists to produce and market themselves to a degree that has never been possible. They're no longer reliant on a label to generate success. Nowhere is that more apparent than in hip hop.

However, only those artists that ARE signed to a label are going to be played on your mainstream, free radio by organizations like Clear Channel. That's why it's all that we hear on a regular basis coming out of our radio unless we're listening to satellite or streaming alternative sources for music.

Texbike

Last edited by texbike; 08-22-2019 at 12:18 PM.