Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2019, 03:42 PM
cmg

listening to Alexrainbird music on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke5P...8&spfreload=10 new artists, kind of homogenous sounds. the AF firewall will allow it.

Last edited by cmg; 08-20-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:59 PM
50 bpm

I listen to the 60s on 6 and 70s on 7 on Sirius. Occasionally the 80s on 8 but generally not.

Modern rock stinks and get off my lawn.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:33 PM

I use spotify and stream alternative. It works well for me as today's alternative will be future classics. Old rock is old and I've heard it all before. I like old cars but not old music so much.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:30 PM
slower than you

You do realize that a ton of classic rock is over fifty years old. 50 years! Now, when you were 22, what was fifty year old music? Did you hear it anywhere?

I was dragged to a Steve Miller/ Peter Frampton concert last summer. (I liked her, otherwise). Both were 70. But, the crowd! Holy mackerel. There were wheelchairs and walkers, I kid you not. Most people looked like hell. So, don't despair, soon this classic rock thing will die off, much like the doo wop music I used to hear on WCBS radio in NYC in my youth, simply because it's audience will pass.

Love doo wop, though. Miss it.

If you want good radio with new stuff, find a college or listener supported station.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde the point View Post
That was pretty weird. I liked the Bad Brains. A lot. Still listen to the classic stuff but all of the album as in Amazon musik which is pretty ok for my amateur ness.
Hehe. Yes - different. I love Bad Brains BTW - along with much of the first generation of punk (including DC's own Government Issue!)

Anyway, my point is there is a ton of young blood out there that hasn't been tainted by the music industry. Harder to source, but interesting - and worthwhile. I still get lost in Pink Floyd, YES, Muddy Waters, Genesis, Zep, The Who, Nirvana, The Cure, Black Flag, GI, Husker DU, but sometimes a new genre finds its way over - like Nightwish, Within Temptation, Epica, Slipknot, Disturbed, Pantera, Opeth, and now Jinjer...
Old 08-20-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
i bet youll be blown away by van canto.
Van Cato is fun - But do you do the HU? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8dCGIm6yc or Ningen Isu? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbI79e5iZKs

Last edited by Dekonick; 08-20-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:01 PM

I stream KEXP out of Seattle. It's radio that plays things you will never hear elsewhere, while playing some wonderful familiar music and great live tracks.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
You do realize that a ton of classic rock is over fifty years old. 50 years! Now, when you were 22, what was fifty year old music? Did you hear it anywhere?

I was dragged to a Steve Miller/ Peter Frampton concert last summer. (I liked her, otherwise). Both were 70. But, the crowd! Holy mackerel. There were wheelchairs and walkers, I kid you not. Most people looked like hell. So, don't despair, soon this classic rock thing will die off, much like the doo wop music I used to hear on WCBS radio in NYC in my youth, simply because it's audience will pass.

Love doo wop, though. Miss it.

If you want good radio with new stuff, find a college or listener supported station.
Keith Richards will outlive us all.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:16 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekonick View Post
Keith Richards will outlive us all.
"I know this. I know that we may all be dead and gone, Keith will still be there with 5 cockroaches." - Robin Williams
Old 08-20-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area where we have two Classic Rock stations. 107.7 The Bone and 98.5 KFOX. They play the same stuff over and over and over.

Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion, Dude looks like a lady, Back in the saddle, Take me to the other side, Love in an elevator. Maybe, jussst maybe they might play Angel or Train Kept a Rollin but that's rare.

Ozzy, Pink Floyd, Boston, Metallica. You can probably guess the same songs. I'd love to hear Disposable Heroes or Leper Messiah at a time that is not 10pm Mandatory Metallica but no. Enter Sandman, Nothing else matters or Sad but true.

They are owned by two different companies but often one Aerosmith song will play, then change the station and the other station is playing.. .Aerosmith! Out of alll the songs and artists they still play the same artist.

And they don't play any UFO at all. Yeah not a big band but they have some great songs.

The 80's station hosted by Martha Quinn is not bad but then every DJ talks over every single song until the vocals come in.

I have a YouTube Premium subscription now that I play over bluetooth now.
Ha! I though I was the only one sick of "Dude Looks Like A Lady"...oh wait it's on again now....!
Old 08-20-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekonick View Post
See the HU in Chicago next month at Riot Fest. Very interested to see how that's going to work out. Not sure they've even finished the ep/album yet.

A high schooler in the 80s classic rock was old and boring then and mostly tedious today. Admittedly Riot Fest is as close to a classic punk rock festival as exists today, but at least a third of the bands are new. It's honestly the new bands I go for.

IMO Classic Rock aficionados would be more tolerable if there was interest in the sound rather than holding up ancient bands as a gold standard. </rant>

Exhibit A: Clutch is making classic rock and it's good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4ABpbxIPFI
Old 08-20-2019, 07:49 PM
Member?

Don't know what the lyrics are, but the music rocks!

https://youtu.be/lln2NPx3aKw
Old 08-20-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhatibi View Post
See the HU in Chicago next month at Riot Fest. Very interested to see how that's going to work out. Not sure they've even finished the ep/album yet.

A high schooler in the 80s classic rock was old and boring then and mostly tedious today. Admittedly Riot Fest is as close to a classic punk rock festival as exists today, but at least a third of the bands are new. It's honestly the new bands I go for.

IMO Classic Rock aficionados would be more tolerable if there was interest in the sound rather than holding up ancient bands as a gold standard. </rant>

Exhibit A: Clutch is making classic rock and it's good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4ABpbxIPFI
Clutch has more than one album old enough to drink, hardly a "new" band. That's older than the Beatles and Stones music was in the eighties.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:19 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb266 View Post
I stream KEXP out of Seattle. It's radio that plays things you will never hear elsewhere, while playing some wonderful familiar music and great live tracks.
And almost all their shows are archived. WFMU from Jersey also archives their stuff.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Jazz is so weird.
and wonderfully diverse.....some I don't "get" and some I love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I like classic rock and only listen to free radio. ...Classic rock is far better than today's rap and pop music. Those suck.
you're old.