Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2019, 05:52 AM
Strong Walker

OT: TV mount to a wooden pillar

I moved to a new appartment which is "loft-style" in a sense that it doesn't have a suitable piece of flat wall to mount a tv on (currently, i use an 42" one). It does, however, have a free-standing chimney in the center and a wooden pillar supporting the roof near it. This is where i want the tv to be placed. I also want it to be able to swivel so i can watch both from the balcony, and the living room area, which is 90° to one side.

The TV, being a plasma set, is quite heavy (~28kg/90lbs) - that would require rather big wood screws. I can't drill the chimney, either - fire prevention regulations.

Anyone has a bright idea how i could mount that tv on its swivel mount (=added leverage, more load) to that wooden pillar (~15-20 inches square) without making swiss cheese of it - i want to stay on the landlords good side...

so far i came up with an idea to use two beefy wooden planks connected by threaded rods and fabricate some sort of a makeshift clamp around the pillar... but i'm eager to hear other ideas!

Last edited by martl; 08-20-2019 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:09 AM
I need you cool.

Here you go: free standing tv mount

Not exactly what you are looking for, but gives you a lot of flexibility...
Old 08-20-2019, 09:42 AM
coffee consumer

great suggestion of freestanding mount...could also try an inexpensive piece of furniture - there are tv stands on amazon and wayfair that are very cost effective. I'd do either of those before putting anything near a chimney. I don't know if its in your budget or not, but TVs right now are super cheap----I was in Costco the other day and they had a 55" for less than $400 and the LED ones are super lightweight compared to the older plasmas.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephr View Post
great suggestion of freestanding mount...could also try an inexpensive piece of furniture - there are tv stands on amazon and wayfair that are very cost effective. I'd do either of those before putting anything near a chimney. I don't know if its in your budget or not, but TVs right now are super cheap----I was in Costco the other day and they had a 55" for less than $400 and the LED ones are super lightweight compared to the older plasmas.
indeed.

I could lift my 75" TV solo if it wasn't so freaking awkward.

It weighs almost nothing.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:58 AM
That guy..

you can get a ceiling mounted tv mount.

or

you can get a floor to ceiling pole/tv mount. for added support.

but i like the floating option. id avoid getting a wall mounted extending/swiveling mount for a 90lbs plasma.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:25 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
... id avoid getting a wall mounted extending/swiveling mount for a 90lbs plasma.
+1

I have a 65" plasma (7 yrs old) mounted above fireplace in family room....sales guy strongly advised against an extending mount for a TV that heavy....unless you knew what it was being anchored to. Since we didn't remodel/build the chimney it was too much risk.

Luckily, it has good viewing angle so I can still see it from kitchen.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:24 AM
That guy..

http://www.mountingdream.com/en/product/show.php?id=363

i bought two mounts off mounting dream via amazon. really good products.
but my tv's are led and easily 1/3 weight of your plasma.
there are quite a few larger plasma displays at my work and they are mostly ceiling mounted. for safety reasons. they are all well installed and super reliable.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:31 AM
Strong Walker

thanks for the suggestions!

new (lighter) tv would be the sensible option i imagine, only i hesitate to dump a perfectly nice working set, also i still love the color display of a plasma.

A floorbased mount i would rather not do because of the inherent untidyness. I'd love to have a fixed piece of furniture hiding the cables etc..

some pics to illustrate the problem (please ignore the mess, trying to balance moving in/getting everything organized with a job, and a family 400km away:

this is why a ceiling mount is not feasible

this is how the white chimney and the pillar are located, also shows a first prototype of what i envision. I'm not bothered by the "industrial" look of the massive bolts and nuts, and the wood will be replaced by something sturdier and prettier than those spruce boards seen right now

thats the sort of tv holder i use, it is cleared for up to 35kg so i should be good

Last edited by martl; 08-21-2019 at 04:38 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:17 AM

You may want to recheck your TV weight or conversions. Is it 28 kg or 90 lbs? 90 lbs. is more than the 35 kg rating.