Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2019, 01:50 PM

Belt Squats with herniated L5/S1?

Strength training helps my cycling a ton - especially barbell squats - but a blown L5/S1 last year has put end to those.

I was thinking I might be able to do belt squats instead. I THINK I'd be OK because the load is borne mainly by the pelvis.

I know some here have had back issues so has anybody tried this or does anyone know for certain that this would be a good or bad idea?

My HMO's answer is to essentially to mainline ibuprofen and be sedentary forever. I'm not going to do that.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:14 PM

Been dealing with different issues, but roughly the same symptoms. I'd suggest working with a professional to build a program around your limitations. For example we do more hip thrusts and less squats because hip thrusts are easier to control among other things.

I'd recommend http://mobileptclinic.com/ in SF/Eastbay based on my experiences with them, but any professional you feel comfortable working and can afford is better than guessing at it imo.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:27 PM

same boat. i also have a surgically repaired L5/S1 after a massive disc herniation. with back-squats, even with a belt, a meaningful portion of the load still goes thru your torso and spine.

i love me some back-squats and still do them, but do them *very* carefully with limited weight and depth. attempting them wit significant weight or depth of movement is just asking for trouble.

edit. I misread. you said belt squats. they definitely put less load on the lower back...I'd still be concerned about higher weights and deeper bends.

Last edited by wallymann; 08-14-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:45 PM

I would not do them. It only takes one bad rep to ruin your day or season.

I also love squats and do them but if I had your issue I would not.

Personally one exercise I get great results with are Bulgarian split squats with dumbbells. You can load this as much as you want but your back and hips will be unloaded.

Then we can be twins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_d21.jpg (47.3 KB, 129 views)
Old 08-14-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Luxurious View Post
Strength training helps my cycling a ton - especially barbell squats - but a blown L5/S1 last year has put end to those.

I was thinking I might be able to do belt squats instead. I THINK I'd be OK because the load is borne mainly by the pelvis.

I know some here have had back issues so has anybody tried this or does anyone know for certain that this would be a good or bad idea?

My HMO's answer is to essentially to mainline ibuprofen and be sedentary forever. I'm not going to do that.
Although you appear to be a doctor (Luxurious), I doubt any of the rest of us are. You are talking about some serious business. I'd consult an actual MD.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:51 PM

I had a microdiscectomy on my herniated L5-S1 and it fixed it. Find a good surgeon and get on with your life.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:01 AM

I think my neurosurgeon said we have a mind that tells us we can do lots of things, but the body has aged - discs dry out, arteries clog, etc. As a rower I had back issues for years and with ibufrofen and vioxx (before it was banned!) I recovered, until I didn't. L4-L5 had ruptured. Surgery #1. A few years later L5-S1 ruptured. That is when I gave up rowing for cycling. Anytime I have started strength training, even yoga, I get numbness and pain - nothing dramatic but I recall my history that it always got better until it didn't. I suspect that was because the herniation had ruptured. Be careful.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
it always got better until it didn't.
Yeah. I know that feeling...

Re: Bulgarians, I tried those but holding the dumbbells is enough to load my spine and make it angry. It's better than a standard back squat for sure but the weight is still transferred to the spine via the shoulders.

Maybe I'll just get a weighted belt and run stairs and do plyos.

And my legs already look like that. See?
I swear there are runway models with better quads than mine...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1565101816942_2.jpg (60.4 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by Dr Luxurious; 08-15-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:44 AM

Interesting.. I've been noticing using a rowing machine to warm up can be tough on the lumbar region this year.

I like the belt squat idea but the hungarian split squat with dumbells looks even better, especially for home use! No need for a squat rack and you don't need as much weight on your rack since it's one leg at a time.

Single leg squats/pistol squat/whatever with no weight is also an option unless you're already so strong and so coordinated that's too easy. I'm not sure I've met too many people who can even do them at all though! I can do them but not well and not with any weight!
Old 08-15-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Luxurious View Post
Yeah. I know that feeling...

Re: Bulgarians, I tried those but holding the dumbbells is enough to load my spine and make it angry. It's better than a standard back squat for sure but the weight is still transferred to the spine via the shoulders.

Maybe I'll just get a weighted belt and run stairs and do plyos.

And my legs already look like that. See?
I swear there are runway models with better quads than mine...

Those spit squats without weights are also darn effective. I also do a single leg squat where the non working leg goes back to the floor at that last moment before you fall and look silly .

Also walking lunges etc. Even no weight squats for reps.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:13 AM

My screwed up shoulder really hates barbell squats, it isn't popular with my back either.

My conditions do approve of reverse lunges, Bulgarians and best of all Goblet squats.

The goblets keep the weight where my torso can handle it easily and everything else falls into place.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:14 AM

Options

Cycling is a great cardio exercise but it leaves a lot to be desired for total body functional strength and conditioning. Whereas the traditional back squat may be one of the best total body exercise out there, it has limitations too, especially with a history of low back pain. Have you tried the goblet squat or front squat? You can also try farmer's walk and prowler push routines.