Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustychisel View Post
same brakes = same pads = different angle of seating for pads on rims.

Instal a new set of pads and see what happens.
You stole my answer
Old 08-21-2019, 01:44 PM

Now that I remember my F1 fork I wonder if this problem has something to do with the headset because my fork was STIFF. Could one of the dropouts be compromised/loose?
Old 08-21-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Now that I remember my F1 fork I wonder if this problem has something to do with the headset because my fork was STIFF. Could one of the dropouts be compromised/loose?
I don't think so and i sure hope not. My last ride with my previous wheels ended with pulled spoke and busted rear rim which cause me to hit the brakes pretty hard on a down hill lifting the rear wheel in the air. I didn't go down and i doubt the stopping force alone would be enough to damage the fork. I did find the fork to be quite stiff prior to the new wheels so the flex is surprising to me. I will give it a closer examination this evening but so far, aside from the flexing, it feels pretty solid when installing and removing the wheel.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:24 PM

If you go with the salmon Kool-Stops, they can be a bit grabby themselves until they have a few stops in.

If you are running vintage stuff (Chorus monoplanars), then toeing in requires a bit more trouble and a bit of aluminum sheet stock. This was prompted by some mild shudder, and it was an effective 'fix'.

Those Tb-14 rims are looking less than pristine...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toe-in monoplanars.jpg (78.0 KB, 33 views)
Old 08-21-2019, 03:28 PM

Since the shudder started after an impact that ruined a wheel it may have damaged something in the front end.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:28 PM

The salmon pads are less grippy than Kool-Stop's own black pads, so I hesitate to blame these pads.

Perhaps there is some substance on the rim. Have you tried spraying a bit of water on the front wheel before pumping the brake while riding slowly downhill?
I ask because I often work on bikes that have sat for a while, and a good running-in of the braking surfaces with some water present generally "normalizes" the surfaces such that I can then evaluate whether the pads are still any good or have age-hardened.
Without using some water, the braking surfaces can take quite a while to "normalize" I have found.
Don't speed up with the rim still wet or the dreaded black water my fly up on your clothes!