Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2019, 11:40 AM
aka RAEKWON

I never tried tubulars but today I have some arriving today so we will see what the fuss is all about. Not going to lie, I am not expecting them to ride better than anything I already own but there is a reason I never comment on tubies, but I have no experience with them.

I do hope to have a pleasant surprise though.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:02 PM

Tire pressure is everything!

You can run them too high and be turned off. Ride them too soft and bounce all over the road. Play with the PSI and find the sweet spot. I haven't been able to replicate the "Feel" of a tubular tire in any other form of rim (Tubeless/Clincher)...
Old 08-23-2019, 12:26 PM

You cant replicate it in a clincher IMO. Just the nature of the construction makes a big difference.

Got a puncture the other day in a tubular, I knew was coming, how is that possible? the darn tubular was smooth at the rubber already, you gamble and at some point I knew that thing was going to fail. Good for me it failed like 2 miles from home. Called wife and she picked me off. Thought going back home flat tho thing I've done before. Got back home and trashed the tubular, non sense to fix a tubular which had no life threads in it.

That way to predict if you are playing with fire with punctures is something a regular clincher is not going to give you ever. For the record i do not use the expensive stuff other guys use... I get vittoria rallys and 3x50 bucks stuff.

I have used continental 2000 whatever clinchers and tubulars... guys love those clinchers, the tubulars ride the same, no matter how much air you put in those things they ride like clinchers, like a radial car tire. I do not like them. Same with the chilly whatever compound in some continental tubulars.

I do not understand why to make a tubular that rides like a clincher, well easier to do that, than make a clincher that could ride like a tubular (never seeen one but close calls tho).

Gatorskin tubbies is good stuff but too expensive for the guy that sponsor himself.

For the record, one common mistake tubular newbies do is to put exactly the max pressure indicated in the side walls... that you can put 300 psi doesnt mean you have to do it Guys are too literal for what the manufacturer says and some stuff is just "common sense", then you hear stories that the ride is too hard, that after one ride the thing exploded, blah blah... You dont have a pump with a gauge? put air little by little and give the tubular a smack with the tip of you finger (nail side), it will ding... makes a peculiar sound.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:34 PM

I mentioned that tubular "Feel" in my comment, because Clincher guys swear they can replicate that feel in a clincher with a latex tube..

I also agree that finding the correct PSI can make or break your tubular experience. Buy nice or buy twice!