Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 12:31 AM

Silca Wax System

So, Jason has out done himself! it looks like a cool techie hot pot so this will put dent in the sale of crockpots. And with a built in stand, your coat hangers are safe. And I know in the days of $15K bikes, $100 bucks is not a huge ask, but a similar hot pot can be bought for $20 bucks for waxing. Am I missing something?
Old Today, 04:35 AM

Silca logo adds $80 value.
Old Today, 05:15 AM

I bought a silca wax system for my son. The main benefit compared to the crock pot that I've been using for years is the regulation of temperature.

Silca wax requires precise temp control. A crock pot isn't capable of that, either not getting the wax warm enough or more likely burning it from too much heat.

Similar to waxing skis if the wax smokes it's cooked. Using the silca pot i immediately noticed that there is less smell, meaning I was over heating my wax with a crock pot.

Seemed like a small price to pay for not ruiing $60cad worth of wax.
Old Today, 05:43 AM

I "researched" options on this. There seem to be several broad categories of wax melting devices. You have crock pots or similar, wax pots for hair removal, medical device (forget what those did exactly), and for candle making. I guess the Silka unit would be a new category- made expressly for bike chains. Before Silca introduced their own unit, Josh raved about this instapot- for cooking as well as bike chains. It was still like $90 at my local Walmart. Way too many bells and whistles.

I settled on this pot for candle making. It had the right combo of capacity- not too big or too small - temp control, and price.