Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2024, 07:46 PM

Actually patching tubeless tire vs plug

Say, you've go a new Pirelli P Zero and flat it on first ride. Dynaplug doesn't seal, so you tube it and get home. You now want to run tire tubeless again. Do you,

A. Use a regular old Park tube patch with vulcanizing glue on the inside of tire.

B. Buy the fancy Lezyne patches that has a plug and patch in one. Push the plug through the hole. Pull tight pulling the patch up against the inside of tire.

Just curious what the hive mind does.

Thx

Jon
Old 03-16-2024, 11:05 PM

A. Use a large, traditional patch with vulcanizing glue on the inside of tire AND superglue shut the hole on the outside of the tyre.
Old 03-17-2024, 03:37 AM

I once had some Hutchinson tubeless patches that appeared to be a bit tougher than traditional vulcanizing patches. I patched the inside of a tire with one using the included vulcanizing cement and it worked fine.

I don’t do a lot with tubeless but I think of plugs as temporary until you can patch a tire for a more permanent fix.
Old 03-17-2024, 05:20 AM

Tip Top patches work for me. Shoe Goo in any imperfection found on the tread side.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:08 AM

I have not used anything (yet) but seem to like the idea behind the Lezyne given it's wide use already in motor sports.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:10 AM

Used a Park tube patch with some super glue on the outside, but the hole was big enough that the patch was exposed after the next ride. Ended up using a radial tire patch which was more substantial and shoe goo on the outside.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:31 AM

I used a Rema patch that lasted for a long time. The trick for me was throughly cleaning inside so no residue of sealant was left. You then have to sand it pretty well and clean again.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:44 AM

I would not use a patch made for a tube on a tire. It'll just push through the cut.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I would not use a patch made for a tube on a tire. It'll just push through the cut.
I don't mean to argue, but I've done so several times with Rema patches and they all held. Of course, size does matter in this case.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
I don't mean to argue, but I've done so several times with Rema patches and they all held. Of course, size does matter in this case.
Why bother and take the risk of a fail? There are patches made for the purpose.
Old 03-17-2024, 10:05 AM

Tube in tire to get home, patched the tire and shoe goo or superglue from the outside and I've been good to go (tubeless) again. Agree with the others above....
Old 03-17-2024, 10:20 AM

Question

I've had to double dynaplug a goat head slash of ~6mm which held until tire wore out in another 2k miles. I'm curious as to what this puncture looked like, since I dread the thought of roadside tubing tubeless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stackie View Post
Say, you've go a new Pirelli P Zero and flat it on first ride. Dynaplug doesn't seal, so you tube it and get home. You now want to run tire tubeless again. Do you,

A. Use a regular old Park tube patch with vulcanizing glue on the inside of tire.

B. Buy the fancy Lezyne patches that has a plug and patch in one. Push the plug through the hole. Pull tight pulling the patch up against the inside of tire.

Just curious what the hive mind does.

Thx

Jon
Old 03-17-2024, 11:02 AM

I've successfully used a Rema patch a couple of times but as mentioned above, you gots to clean/sand the tire well.

The Lezyne plug stem/patch product seems like a more thorough way to go since you've already done the same prep necessary for a Rema tube patch -but it also appears to be a remake or rebrand of a Rema product. Just in a smaller quantity.
Old 03-17-2024, 01:37 PM

I've used a rema on the inside. Sewn a couple of slashes if they're big enough, then patch over.
Old 03-17-2024, 01:57 PM

I've also sewed and superglued a slashed tubeless tubular that kinda sorta lasted the rest of the season.