Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2024, 11:02 AM

Campagnolo Potenza rear derailleur

I'm wonedring if the Potenza rear derailleur is the same model for disc brake shifters and rim brake shifters?

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2024, 11:42 AM

The Potenza group was originally released with rim brakes in 2017, and in 2018 the rear derailleur was modified to be "Hydraulically Optimized" (HO) when their disc brake groups were released in 2018. The HO derailleurs were intended to work with either rim or disc brakes drivetrains. The only real changes to the HO derailleurs was a modification of the pulleys, to work with the difference in chainlines between rim and disc brake drivetrains.

So in answer to the question, from 2018 and later the Potenza rear derailleurs is the same model for rim and disc brake drivetrains (these derailleurs have "HO" printed on the lower knuckle). The 2017 can be updated to "HO" standard with new pulleys (although it may work okay with disc brakes even with the original pulleys).
Old 03-15-2024, 12:11 PM

Thanks a lot!

Another question: I guess the shifters are different (rim brakes vs disc brakes) for brake cable pull. Is that right?
Old 03-15-2024, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMtl View Post
Thanks a lot!

Another question: I guess the shifters are different (rim brakes vs disc brakes) for brake cable pull. Is that right?
Campagnolo rim brakes use cables actuation, but Campagnolo disc brakes use hydraulic actuation, so rim brake shifters pull a brake cable, and disc brake shifter use a master cylinder to push hydraulic fluid. In other words, each shifter type is only compatible with one brake type. However, the shifting mechanisms in both types of lever are identical, so they both work with the same derailleurs. Which means back to your original question, there is only one model of derailleur, regardless of brake type.
Old 03-15-2024, 02:18 PM

Thanks a lot. It's really clear.

I don't know why, I tought Potenza rim brakes were mechanic.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMtl View Post
I don't know why, I tought Potenza rim brakes were mechanic.
Wait, they are.

The rim brake variant is what you expect: pulling a wire. There's a disc brake variant that uses mineral oil.

In 2018, when Campy introduced the H11 disc group and Potenza disc, they also introduced this confusing "Hydraulic Optimized" HO naming that Mark mentioned. But this was really about moving the chainline outbound from 43.5mm to 44.5mm. Basically anything made 2018+ was "hydraulic optimized": disc and rim.

The HO derailleurs have the same cable pull as the non-HO ones and thus they're interchangeable.