Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2019, 09:27 AM

"modernish" mass production high quality steel frames

Good day all. I'm a very new to road bikes. I'm looking for some information on what companies made/make "modern" road bike frame made with high quality steel. Unfortunately budget is my constraint, so the artisan quality boutique frames are out of reach. Any information is appreciated so I can widen my search. I need a 54 if you know of something that fits the description.

For example, I know Specialized made the Allez Comp and Allez Elite from 2004-2007 time frame. They both used Columbus Foco tubing.

Ryan
Old 07-13-2019, 09:47 AM

What is your budget? All City sells the Mr Pink as both frameset and complete bike, and prices are pretty dang reasonable.

Also, this might get moved to the general discussion section, as this area is often used for sharing pictures of bikes owned by members...

Last edited by hollowgram5; 07-13-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:50 AM

used steel frames are a bargain, hunt hard, 54 is easy to find here. theres even a few threads with folks hunting them specifically, so check those first. dont go mass made steel when you can get such a sweet deal on boutique second hand. or do. but im gonna tell you right now, you have the chance to get a much nicer bike going used boutique.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Hi Ryan,

I moved your thread to the general discussion area, you will get more views and discussion here.

It's an interesting and good question. i echo what matt said above that used steel or even titanium is an excellent value, and you get a lot more for your money often on a nicer bike that is going to last forever anyway.

as for brand new, if you need some tire clearance, the all-city mentioned is an excellent frame, and the other option that i think is A+ is the Ritchey Road logic. excellent richey logic steel frame.

good luck on your hunt!
Old 07-13-2019, 10:12 AM

I’m intrigued with the Fairlight Strael.
https://fairlightcycles.com/?v=7516fd43adaa
Old 07-13-2019, 10:15 AM
Bike Guy

Twin Six has their Rando frames, not sure if they have anything more pure pavement or “road race” oriented.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
... the other option that i think is A+ is the Ritchey Road logic. excellent richey logic steel frame...
I second the Ritchey Road Logic!
Old 07-13-2019, 10:29 AM

Saturated Market

There's so many choices today, it's amazing how many brands are still in the steel niche.

You can get these bikes anywhere but use Adrenaline Bikes web page as a resource to see what's out there. You can browse pics and descriptions from here:

https://www.adrenalinebikes.com/stor...ategoryID=1659
Old 07-13-2019, 11:13 AM

I’ve been impressed on paper with the Fairdale Goodship which is on sale right now for $599, frame and fork shipped. If I wasn’t spread out right now I’d pick one up, that’s a pretty solid deal.

Edit: Sorry, just checked and they’re sold out of 54’s.

Last edited by Malinois; 07-13-2019 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Added link, checked inventory
Old 07-13-2019, 11:57 AM

https://stelbel.it/en/stelbel-frames/
https://stelbel.it/en/model/stelbel-rodano/
https://stelbel.it/en/model/stelbel-antenore/
Old 07-13-2019, 12:34 PM

All City Mr Pink

Another vote here for All City Mr. Pink.

Definitely not the lightest. But probably the bike I take out the most.

Built up w DA 9000 etc. reasonably light. And I trash the heck out of mine. Road rides + hammer fests + fondos + light trail duty. Stable handling, durable, "light enough", and the ability to take up to 32c tires (which I will try out this fall/winter).

If mine ever dies - I'll just get another.

That said, those Ritchey Road Logic frames are awfully tempting...
Old 07-13-2019, 12:52 PM

Gunnar makes a range of nice bikes. I have a Crosshairs and a Sport (mid reach rim brake road bike). Here's a link to the rim brake Roadie, which is, as you might expect, a steel road bike with clearance for 25c tires. It comes in a disc brake version as well, with clearance for 32s.

The Gunnars are a step up in price versus All City - the Roadie frameset is $1,400 with a steel fork and the Roadie Disc is $1,875 for the frameset. They are, perhaps, the Shimano Ultegra of steel bikes. Their size range is 48cm to 64cm in 2cm increments, whereas All City looks like 3cm increments. I think that Gunnars in sizes under 54cm have relatively steep seat tube angles and long top tubes, if that's a concern (not sure how to judge the relative sizing for larger bikes).

I have heard complaints about the paint being fragile in the past. I don't know the current status of this issue. I think they may have changed painters in the past few years - I vaguely recall hearing this from one guy in Minneapolis who worked for a Gunnar dealer, but I can't swear to this.

Last edited by weiwentg; 07-14-2019 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:17 PM

All City Mr Pink FTW! Great bike with lots of options at an affordable price.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:37 PM

Why do folks so like the All City, with the (albeit important) exception of price? It's a pleasant enough looking mass produced bike with a decent price. Nada mas.

Plenty of far better options, from Gunnar to Stelbel (excellent choice there)...
Old 07-13-2019, 02:37 PM
Pack fill

Gunnar

I second the Gunnars. I have a Roadie and a Street Dog. Both are newer, 2014 & 2015, the paint has not been a problem for me. Both of mine have the Gunnar steel fork. Can't say anything bad about the bike or the company. Just ring them up and speak with Richard Schwinn, made in the USA with USA steel.