Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2017, 10:06 AM

The most obscure thing to date that I've seen in the wild (which I take as being driven on the road)

Was on a group ride recently and came up upon one, had to ask the driver since none of us was vaguely familiar.

Owned a '69 Saab 95 wagon once, that's pretty obscure these days lol

Last edited by Saint Vitus; 03-03-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Oddly, when I was a wee lad living in suburban Pittsburgh PA in the late 1960s I saw probably a dozen of those things. Wasn't it an American kit, designed to fit on a (German) Volkswagen Beetle chassis?
That's my recollection as well--and I seem to recall people getting crazy and building them up with pushrod Porsche engines for more fun per mile....
Old 03-03-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
The one in my garage is pretty darn rare if no obscure. At last check this is one of fewer than 5 in the USA of this model.

Westfield Mega S2000.

But the local junk yard as a Borgward Isabella if my car won't do.

dave
Love yours... it looks like it came out of the same development stream as the Lotus Super Seven?

But the Borgward Isabella--that is a rare bird. I was coincidentally looking up pictures of these while trying to identify some stylish car shown in a TCM movie (but it wasn't the right ID)...

Here's a nice shot of a cabrio shamelessly stolen from the interwebs...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg borgward.jpg (69.3 KB, 396 views)

Last edited by paredown; 03-03-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:20 PM
Strong Walker

Just got passed by one of these on the Autobahn. Volkswagen 1l car, electrified version

Last edited by martl; 03-03-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:22 PM

Oh dident even know that car existed. Looks very futuristic! As do the bridge. Munich?

Ps you take some nice pics on the fly..

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 03-03-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:42 PM
Glory bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
I've seen a couple of these cars in the wild! But you probably can't get parts in a few years....

Fisker Karma EV, nice looking but do you really want one?!
I saw one of those recently, only caught the "Karma" name, but not the brand, so had to look it up. Google search leads to stories about a Chinese billionaire buying the Fisker assets, moving production to the old Toyota/GM plant in California, announcing a deal with BMW for (non-electric) powertrain components, etc. Production was scheduled to resume last fall, but no more recent news. So was that automotive vaporware? Or is this really happening?

The other lust-worthy (and divorce guaranteeing, if acted upon) recent siting was a tuned RS7. In front of a construction site. The building owner came to the meeting in an S-class Benz, so I'm betting it was the contractor's.

Random web image, but you get the idea: why settle for a mere RS, when 900 hp is achievable.

Last edited by torquer; 03-03-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:54 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
Pretty sure that is a Volvo c303 but hard to tell from that pic. They look very much alike
At first I thought you might be right but in every pic I find of the Volvo there is a thin window just a few inches behind the driver's door, which doesn't exist on the vehicle in that pic. They really are very similar though.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:26 PM

Sister of one of my high school friends had a Siata Spring - looked kindof like an MGTD, built on a Fiat 850 platform with rear engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg siata spring 1.jpg (57.8 KB, 371 views)
Old 03-03-2017, 01:27 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Oh dident even know that car existed. Looks very futuristic! As do the bridge. Munich?

Ps you take some nice pics on the fly..
ok, i'll bite: pics not mine So, consequently, i have no idea where that bridge is.
was kinda dark already anyways, and that thing was too fast on the long term for my Turbo-Subbie (At least if i watch the fuel gauge) - it was doing an effortless 170-180km/h.

The VW is very tiny in reality, almost like a faired recumbent straight from battle mountain. First one ever is saw in the wild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
At first I thought you might be right but in every pic I find of the Volvo there is a thin window just a few inches behind the driver's door, which doesn't exist on the vehicle in that pic. They really are very similar though.
My guress was based on circumstantial evidence, as the OP was talking about Stockholm. Don't think too many Steyrs made it up there, although they obviously could, if they wanted to i hear it is vastly superior to the Volvo in terms of 4-wheel cred. It has a baby brother, too, very popular among austrian mountain farmers. Think its drivetrain also was source for the 4x4 Fiat Panda which, despite its looks, is a serious offroad vehicle.

Last edited by martl; 03-03-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
pics not mine was kinda dark already anyways, and that thing was too fast on the long term for my Turbo-Subbie (At least if i watch the fuel gauge) - it was doing an effortless 170-180km/h.

The VW is very tiny in reality. First one ever is saw in the wild.

My guress was based on circumstantial evidence, as the OP was talking about Stockholm. Don't think too many Steyrs made it up there, although they obviously could, if they wanted to
Yeah i also thought that was a volvo. Tho i wouldn't even have known the numbers, i just called them "valp".
Old 03-03-2017, 01:34 PM

In high school a friend of mine's family had a Pegaso, Spanish sports car from the 50s made by a truck and bus manufacturer, very rare in any case.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:35 PM

I was once nearly run off the road by a Ferrari BB512...
Old 03-03-2017, 02:15 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrudoff View Post
In high school a friend of mine's family had a Pegaso, Spanish sports car from the 50s made by a truck and bus manufacturer, very rare in any case.
Pegaso? wow!! you win
Old 03-03-2017, 02:27 PM

Saw a Karma recently - was hoping for the long legged model too, but she wasn't driving

Personally known rare is a Lamborghini Espada. It belongs to a buddy of mine, she acquired it when she lived in Roma in the 70s. She knew Signore Lamborghini personally.

I've also seen this on a street, not driven around. Kind of shocking when you see one for real. I'd defiiiiinitely drive this. Trade my Marcelo for it!

OH and a Jensen FF on Russian Hill in SF, had a for sale sign in the window. Parked facing uphill.

Last edited by ojingoh; 03-03-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:50 PM

This F40 was at our local dealership a while back. Probably my favorite sports car of all time. I guess that's not in the wild. But I did see an F50 pull up next to me as I was walking to the track at the Canadian Grand Prix circa 1995.

Last edited by Force; 03-03-2017 at 02:53 PM.