Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2020, 03:54 AM

Question: routing compressionless housing and T47 sleeve

Building new bike (Ti frame) with TRP Spyres (mechanical disc brakes). To get max performance, using Jagwire Pro compressionless housing.

This housing gives very little and with internal routing, it makes it very difficult to work with a T47 BB. Frame is slotted in BB so housing can be pushed upwards...but only ideal for hydro. Obviously need the sleeve or else the housing would eventually give and also cause spindle damage/failure.

Problem is that the housing pushes the sleeve down, so I packed it with pieces of butyl tubing that looks like it pushes it more center and the housing into the slot.

spindle fits in nicely but can’t tell is there is any rub with sleeve. So my question...is a little rubbing with the sleeve an issue?

Last edited by rst72; 09-30-2020 at 03:57 AM.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:25 PM

That's a question that only you can answer, whether or not the friction (watts) matters and whether you'll ride far enough to damage anything.

I can't really see how butyl(???) would support/center the sleeve, butyl is rubber!

What is the sleeve made of and what brand of bb? The sleeve is thin plastic(?) and is yielding to the cable housing?

You can bend thin metal tubing to act as a section of housing, supported at each end by a V-brake noodle ferrule (and with plastic liner inside). You could use an actual V-brake noodle here I would think, after perhaps adjusting the bend radius as needed.

Last edited by dddd; 09-30-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:37 PM

This might seem like a dumb question but why not go under the BB, not over?
Old 09-30-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst72 View Post
Building new bike (Ti frame) with TRP Spyres (mechanical disc brakes). To get max performance, using Jagwire Pro compressionless housing.

This housing gives very little and with internal routing, it makes it very difficult to work with a T47 BB. Frame is slotted in BB so housing can be pushed upwards...but only ideal for hydro. Obviously need the sleeve or else the housing would eventually give and also cause spindle damage/failure.

Problem is that the housing pushes the sleeve down, so I packed it with pieces of butyl tubing that looks like it pushes it more center and the housing into the slot.

spindle fits in nicely but can’t tell is there is any rub with sleeve. So my question...is a little rubbing with the sleeve an issue?

I been there. Had a Passoni with internal routing via the BB shell and Campy crankset EPS.
It was absolute hell to pass the compression less jag wire housing thru the Bb shell and even worse thru the internal routing of the handlebar.
These are my advice to you
1. Depending on what crankset you have there are BB adapter with a channel in the middle which makes easier to route hoses. Since I had Campy the most efficient solution was to use the Wishbone PF3025c. That adapter had some space in the middle which allowed some room. For example praxis were a no go...
If you have shimano, Sram or Easton the best from wheels mfgt seem to have the space required.

2. Can I be honest? I started with compression less housing but the return action from the Spyres, maybe due to the kinks in the internal routing, was pretty sloppy.
Then I replace all the housing with the standard brake housing and it was 100x better. So my advice would be to not use the compression less and go for standard.

Good luck!