Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2018, 12:08 PM

Nuggets at Wolves, Wednesday.

When was the last time we had a last day of the season play-in game?

In related news, it's possible that the 3-6 seeds in the West all finish at 48-34.

We have come a long way from the beginning of the season when the W's were pre-ordained champs. I still have them as my personal favorite*, but the Rockets won't be an easy out (maybe they are even a favorite?), and the 3-7 seeds are so good webe in for some entertaining playoffs.

In the East, I think I have come back around to the Cavs, but I expect a 7 game series w Toronto to decide this. LeBron - the king stay the king until proven otherwise.

Boston won't be an easy out either, despite Kyrie and Hayward. Such an amazing defense - how do you score consistently?

And extra excited to see how The Process plays out in the playoffs. Embiid can win a series all by himself - if he comes back soon enough.

*I think they are clearly holding a gear or two in reserve, and we will see healthy Iggy, healthy Livingston and Destroyer of Worlds KD when the playoffs start - then Steph comes back for round 2 and we are done.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:12 PM

Thrilling end to the regular season (at least for the west)

My thoughts.

EAST—
Cavs and raptor in the finals definitely a 7 game series.
Raptors win

WEST——
Warriors/rockets/Trail Blazers

not sure which of these 3 will be in the WCF but I believe it’s between these 3

Whoever wins the west I believe will win the Finals
Old 04-10-2018, 12:26 PM

This end of the season is ****ing nuts. Especially in the west. My Utah squad started out in a world of hurt at the beginning of the season and now there's a chance they can end up 3rd when it's all said and done.

It's been a hell of a ride but am def stoked.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Nuggets at Wolves, Wednesday.
Win or go home.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:36 PM

Houston's easily the favorite right now. Home court, won the season series against the Warriors, healthier, and seem to have the kind of offense that can keep pace with the Golden State juggernaut.

I think Boston is cooked. Their defense remains fine, but they can't get buckets. Their offense has falled off a cliff, and that's before the playoffs where you need a guy who can go get buckets by himself. They don't have that now with Kyrie out. Its...sigh....LeBron's conference to lose again I think, if the Raptors carry this late season apathy into the playoffs and do Raptors things once again.

The Sixers will be feisty and fun and will make at least one sworn enemy in the postseason this year. And I'm just happy to see Markelle Fultz playing basketball -- and well! -- after what it was he went through this year.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Houston's easily the favorite right now. Home court, won the season series against the Warriors, healthier, and seem to have the kind of offense that can keep pace with the Golden State juggernaut.

I think Boston is cooked. Their defense remains fine, but they can't get buckets. Their offense has falled off a cliff, and that's before the playoffs where you need a guy who can go get buckets by himself. They don't have that now with Kyrie out. Its...sigh....LeBron's conference to lose again I think, if the Raptors carry this late season apathy into the playoffs and do Raptors things once again.

The Sixers will be feisty and fun and will make at least one sworn enemy in the postseason this year. And I'm just happy to see Markelle Fultz playing basketball -- and well! -- after what it was he went through this year.
I don't know about Houston. They still have to prove themselves in the post season. Harden has faded and Chrissy is spotty at best. Granted they've been a juggernaut in the regular season but the post is a whole different ball game.

This year is going to be fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pnl1ulaG5k
Old 04-10-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC. View Post
I don't know about Houston. They still have to prove themselves in the post season. Harden has faded and Chrissy is spotty at best. Granted they've been a juggernaut in the regular season but the post is a whole different ball game.

This year is going to be fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pnl1ulaG5k
All fair points, but who else has looked more dominant for longer stretches this year than them? I get the playoffs are a different animal, but all the usual suspects are walking into this postseason either wounded, totally remade or, yanno, being the Raptors. Which you can't trust with a tricycle when the chips are down.

I suspect it'll be another LeBron/Dubs showdown, and I think the league would meltdown from the ratings disaster of a Raptors/Rockets finals.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:12 PM

Rockets have to be considered the favorites. I see their 2 main concerns being: Harden and CP3 have played a lot of minutes all season including the last couple of weeks when they should have been resting, and Harden has to adapt his game once the refs start swallowing their whistles in the playoffs.

I absolutely can't stand either of those two whiny brats, but have to give credit where it's due. Harden in particular has really upped his game, especially on the defensive end.

I'm a Portland homer, but I think they'll have a really hard time getting out of the first round. 3 players who were key to their recent 13 game winning streak are hurt, Lillard is playing on a bad ankle, CJ has decided he's not going to pass anymore, and the entire team has gone ice cold from 3. I'm just hoping they find the lightening in the bottle they had a few weeks ago.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:14 PM

I think it’s really crazy that some oddsmakers are saying the warriors have an 8% chance to make the finals and 4% chance to win.

Maybe I’m showing my golden state bias but I’d think they’re closer to 30%/20%
Old 04-10-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
I think it’s really crazy that some oddsmakers are saying the warriors have an 8% chance to make the finals and 4% chance to win.

What's the scuttlebutt on injuries for your team?
Old 04-10-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
What's the scuttlebutt on injuries for your team?
Curry out for first round. Possibly out for the first couple games of round 2.

I’m not too worried about “sore knees” of iguodala. I think they’re just resting him—Damian jones will be out a bit but not a huge factor.

Klay is getting back in rhythm—

Mc caw is out for ??? But Quinn cook is playing so well that we won’t be hurting too bad

A healthy Jordan Bell (assuming he plays well) will help tide over for 1st round match up
Old 04-10-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Curry out for first round. Possibly out for the first couple games of round 2.

I’m not too worried about “sore knees” of iguodala. I think they’re just resting him—Damian jones will be out a bit but not a huge factor.

Klay is getting back in rhythm—

Mc caw is out for ??? But Quinn cook is playing so well that we won’t be hurting too bad

A healthy Jordan Bell (assuming he plays well) will help tide over for 1st round match up
Word. Looking forward to the matchup tonight!
Old 04-10-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:

8%/4% (like the 538 model) is ridiculous. I'm an avowed math geek and stats guy, and I understand that the model objectively says what it says, but the W's haven't shifted into 5th gear or even 4th gear this year.

I strongly dislike GS, but I don't think anyone outside Houston can beat them 4 of 7, and I have my questions about Harden/CP3 when the chips are down.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
This end of the season is ****ing nuts. Especially in the west. My Utah squad started out in a world of hurt at the beginning of the season and now there's a chance they can end up 3rd when it's all said and done.

It's been a hell of a ride but am def stoked.

The Jazz have been amazing since the AS break. I think they have a real chance to make the 2nd round incredibly tough for either Houston or GS.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Word. Looking forward to the matchup tonight!
Tonight’s game will be interesting.

Honestly. Utah is a great match up against Golden state— many folks are saying the warriors should lose to guarantee Utah the 3 seed.

While I don’t believe in losing intentionally I can definitely agree with not burning your starters out or making sure no one gets injured.

I also believe beating Utah will take a little air out of their hot hot balloon because they are playing some very good basketball right now.

In summary, I think golden state should try to win —but not at the expense of getting anyone hurt and let the rest of the teams decide Utah’s fate in re to the 3 seed