Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2024, 10:46 AM

enjoy
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/zip...e-gendt-crash/
Old 03-15-2024, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
This was such an obvious failure that it should have been reported correctly to begin with. And this speculation that 1mm of tire width difference caused a blow off seems quite a bit far fetched.

Why is it that when a pro has a crash, everyone is all over that but if one of us poor schmucks suffers the same fate, everyone blames the victim?
Old 03-15-2024, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
This was such an obvious failure that it should have been reported correctly to begin with.
Makes me wonder why this wasnt reported this way from the start.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Makes me wonder why this wasnt reported this way from the start.
agendas
Old 03-15-2024, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
agendas
More likely just bad reporting. Someone snapped a photo without due diligence in following up. What's the old saying? "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Greg
Old 03-15-2024, 03:19 PM

Thank god I can safely ride my hookless tubeless wheels again.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:22 PM

Yes, this is much worse.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
This was such an obvious failure that it should have been reported correctly to begin with. And this speculation that 1mm of tire width difference caused a blow off seems quite a bit far fetched.

Why is it that when a pro has a crash, everyone is all over that but if one of us poor schmucks suffers the same fate, everyone blames the victim?
The reporting for this incident started when De Gendt asked on social media if anybody saw what he might have run over, because he himself didn't see anything on the road that he might have hit. As far as has been reported, no one else saw anything that he could have hit. The hypothesis that he hit a rock is just that - there is no eyewitness evidence of a rock, nor any definitive evidence at all that he hit something. It is entirely possible that the existence of the mystery rock is just a convenience for those who would be inconvenienced if the rock didn't exist. (Also note that rims break more easily after tire has flatted or blown off, so the fact that the rim broke is no evidence that the tire didn't blow-off first.)

So no, there is no obviousness of the cause of the failure. And may never be.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
The reporting for this incident started when De Gendt asked on social media if anybody saw what he might have run over, because he himself didn't see anything on the road that he might have hit. As far as has been reported, no one else saw anything that he could have hit. The hypothesis that he hit a rock is just that - there is no eyewitness evidence of a rock, nor any definitive evidence at all that he hit something. It is entirely possible that the existence of the mystery rock is just a convenience for those who would be inconvenienced if the rock didn't exist. (Also note that rims break more easily after tire has flatted or blown off, so the fact that the rim broke is no evidence that the tire didn't blow-off first.)

So no, there is no obviousness of the cause of the failure. And may never be.
We haven't seen the tire. Maybe there was a witness mark on it from the alleged rock? Vittoria said it was a rock.

Last edited by MikeD; 03-15-2024 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:52 PM

Has anyone checked for rocks on the grassy knoll?

Tim
Old 03-15-2024, 08:41 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Agreed…when I saw those images I was trying to understand how he hit the rim so hard, or it had some sort of defect. I’ve really hammered my rims on rocks many times and never had any damage like that. Did the rock hit the side and puncture the rim then collapse?
That looks like he hit something.

I hit something once and double flatted. I was going pretty fast, but I really wanted to know what I hit so I walked back to where I hit the thing and it was gone. Sounded like a piece of angle iron so I don't know how it would disappear. It was big enough I actually got off the ground a little when I hit it. Seems to me that a rock is far more likely to disappear.
Old 03-16-2024, 10:37 AM

I personally have hooked rims on tubeless on road and hookless on gravel—not so much by design but more just by coincidence. I probably would prefer hooked on road over hookless all else being equal but I also wouldn’t bat an eyelash at running hookless road. I imagine that it’s been out for a few years now and more often than not when you see a blowout in a forum thread or comment it’s user error: incompatible tires, pumping them up to 100psi etc.) and I imagine that sure, these companies can save money by simplifying the manufacturing process significantly and the 10g they save by not having a hook is just marketing apology for cutting costs by some major percentage while still charging $4k for a wheel set, but if one successful lawsuit ever went through, it would ruin their reputation and math anyway and I’m sure Enve and Zipp are well aware of what litigation in America means.
Old 03-23-2024, 12:39 PM

New article by Ronan McLaughlin on Escape Collective (and a podcast, which I haven’t listened to yet) in which he interviews two folks from Zipp.
One takeaway for me is that they've measured a pressure spike of 3-4 Psi in significant impacts, so pressure change alone is not causing these incidents.
Old 03-23-2024, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
New article by Ronan McLaughlin on Escape Collective (and a podcast, which I haven’t listened to yet) in which he interviews two folks from Zipp.
One takeaway for me is that they've measured a pressure spike of 3-4 Psi in significant impacts, so pressure change alone is not causing these incidents.
The podcast was sort of interesting in spots, and props to zipp for showing up and answering almost everything.

Just seemed like there was way more discussion about the broken wheel - and that discussion seemed to go in circles, there wasnt much more to be said beyond "something destroyed this wheel". The stuff about about hookless wheels and how they're designed/built/tested was informative and interesting.