Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2012, 04:11 PM
kg

Best newer carbon race bike recommendation

I have that terrible itch for a new bike -- or at least a new frameset. My rational self (or my wife) may successfully beat back the demon inside, but in the meantime, I want to hear your thoughts about the best newer carbon race bikes you have actually ridden for some length of time yourself.

I have a few requirements. It needs to have a relatively long HT. It doesn't need to be massive, but something on the order of what Cervelo offers, for instance. It should be a good all-arounder so that I can race flat road races, hilly road races, and crits. I would also prefer that it can take a hit and survive. My current bike (Fisher Cronus) uses extremely large diameter and thin-walled tubes, making it a "one-crash" bike. Ask me how I know!

A little about me. I'm 6'1" 155 lbs, 43 years old, a better climber than a flatlander and better at threshold than at sprinting. I race mostly in TX where there are a lot of short and steep climbs but I like traveling to places that have real climbs up actual mountains. I find that rear end responsiveness and stiffness is helpful for snapping up the little climbs (in many ways, they end up being like little intermediate sprints).

Here are some frames I'm curious about, but my curiosity isn't limited to these by any extent:

- Cervelo R5
- Cannondale Supersix Evo (not sure which flavor)
- Anything made by Time, maybe a VXRS
- Specialized Tarmac SL4
- Crumpton Corsa Team

Here's what I've been on in the past. Current ride is a Fisher Cronus (monocoque). It's stiff and responsive but lacks passion and maybe it's just me or my fit on the bike, but I have trouble descending confidently on it. Time Edge Racer (lugged carbon) was really great although a little noodely, but it had the passion. Time RX Instinct (monocoque front triangle, lugged rear). I dunno, this one just didn't have it. It was fine but not better enough that the Fisher to keep it.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.