Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2018, 09:46 AM

There is a huge advantage to discs and it´s related to wheels.
You can have your carbon wheels and not worry about brake tracks.
You can have carbon wheels that are not so expensive.
Wheels have a huge effect on feel and speed.
Wheels are expensive.

There is a possibility the industry will develop more carbon wheels without brake tracks in the near future.

It´s not because discs are better brakes but because carbon rims are cheaper when brake tracks are not an issue.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:54 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
It's already very good, there's just a lot of old farts that can't change with the times

In all seriousness there's plenty of people jumping to disc who don't need it, and plenty of people staying on rim brakes who could benefit from disc. The former is a larger group than the latter so used rim brake bikes are getting cheap cheap cheap.
this is a good post and one I agree with 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
Yes, I just had built a rim brake off road bike. not all road, this bike is built to be off roads. and its built to climb (and therefore descend) 20% plus gravel. It was built for this purpose, and i choose not to spec discs.

and yes, the rim brakes worked awesome in sticks, mud, creeks, puddles, and everything else. seriously, these TRP Mid reach brakes stop better than all my other brakes and my wifes discs (which are cheap discs). they really really grab.

And in the field i could work on anything on this bike easily!
[IMG]Gravel Heretic CL2 by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]
It is interesting, I could see you really enjoying disc brakes and where you at, there are certainly benefits. Sure you don't need it but on crazy gravel descents there is just no comparison. Hell on any descent. I had my disc bike in PDX and was coming down crazy road and gravel descents and even with the ****ty BB7, I appreciated having disc over rim. I could brake much later and I was stoping much quicker. Again I don't think you need them but, and no one will convince me of this, they are just superior on gravel. They don't get clogged with mud, tons of clearance, faster braking, WAY better modulation, less finger fatigue (which you will want on super technical gravel), more power.
Negatives of discs are really just a couple. Heavy and more setup/maintnance (I know these will get better)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Wheels are expensive.

There is a possibility the industry will develop more carbon wheels without brake tracks in the near future.

It´s not because discs are better brakes but because carbon rims are cheaper when brake tracks are not an issue.
lets not forget being able to go from 650b to 700c wheels on bikes which I think is pretty damn cool
Old 05-24-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Wheels are expensive.

I agree. It will drastically change wheel construction.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:18 PM

OMG rim brakes - the horror, the horror!! And they probably have 1 1/8” headsets! Sarcasm-FYI-
Old 05-24-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumphigher View Post
I agree. It will drastically change wheel construction.
I haven't really seen any disc only rims that were drastically different than the rim brake version in any performance way. Brake tracks don't seem to make rims any heavier.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:49 PM

if i was flying with the bike, i would prefer cables disc and then rim brakes. it's more so that i am more comfortable to rectify the rim brakes if there was a problem. i am sure many people have no problems flying with hydro brakes, and i have too. i just have a phobia....

if I was local, then the latest hydraulic brakes thank you very much.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
I haven't really seen any disc only rims that were drastically different than the rim brake version in any performance way. Brake tracks don't seem to make rims any heavier.
I still believe they'll change over time as manufacturers get more used to making them and new ideas emerge. And though I'm no expert on rim construction, I'm pretty sure not having to factor in a brake track will lead to different rim designs.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Brake tracks on carbon make it more expensive. More complex to build.
The point is not "better".... but cheaper to make. It´s better to sellers, not necessarily for us, riders.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:08 PM

IMO, Disc Brakes on a road bike make no sense to me unless you're going off road with fat tires. Even then...get a mountain bike and be done with it.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Brake tracks on carbon make it more expensive. More complex to build.
The point is not "better".... but cheaper to make. It´s better to sellers, not necessarily for us, riders.
If you say so. Doesn't really look like less layup work or materials.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
IMO, Disc Brakes on a road bike make no sense to me unless you're going off road with fat tires. Even then...get a mountain bike and be done with it.
Spoken like someone with a lot of non-pavement riding experience.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
If you say so. Doesn't really look like less layup work or materials.
i have a hard time w/ the notion that brake tracks on carbon rims have never been a problem. Or that doing those tracks right would not rise their costs.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:46 PM

rim brakes are trash, I will recycle your trash for you.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
i have a hard time w/ the notion that brake tracks on carbon rims have never been a problem. Or that doing those tracks right would not rise their costs.
What sort of extra engineering do you think the brake track takes? On aluminum rims it's effectively zero.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:57 PM

rereading this post i guess even my brain kinda drifted off topic.
do i think if you built the same bike but put rim brakes on it instead of disc brakes it would be worth less?
the answer is YES, the exact same bike with rim brakes would be worth less than the one with discs today in this market we have 9 times out of 10.

even though some of us buy a new bike or 2 (or 37 clean 39)every year here we like to talk about "life bikes" and "future proofing". haha. when discs get to where i like the look of them, they dont weigh more, and i dont have much of a choice, ill consider. then the future will be the present and maybe ill get with the present.

but for now, and for me, there is no convincing me discs are better suited to me. i get it for lots of people, but for me rim brakes are still the superior choice, even on gravel, and yes, i ride a lot of gravel, and really hard gravel, and gravel in snow and rain, and all of that stuff. Im too old and tired to learn a new trick, and im 145lbs and have never ever not ever once experienced a situation where my brakes did not stop me to a level i found more than adequate. even on gravel snowy rainy uphill slogs barefoot in winter.

so thats why i dont have discs yet, plus i have some awesome wheels already, i dont need new ones.