Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2018, 09:50 AM

Does this exist? Mini compressor

I find myself often wishing I had a compressor like I got used to working as a bike tech. But my workshop is, er, rather small. I don't need one for pumping tires, rather for cleaning. I'd love to find something that is manually pumped to create pressure (like a tubeless pump) and that creates a blast of air enough to clean out parts. More power than an aerosol can, but not as much as a full on compressor.
Does this exist?
If not, bring on the mocking!
Old 05-23-2018, 09:56 AM

I don't know if this'll work or not but there are portable air tanks that are used for inflating tires and such. they get charged via an off site compressor so they're reusable.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:56 AM

There are these guys, but all the ones I've tried tend to blast in a dissipated fashion, not a concentrated stream of air.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spray.jpg (9.4 KB, 415 views)
Old 05-23-2018, 10:08 AM

How about a ultra compact 2 gallon compressor like
This.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-2-Gall...sor/1000226861

Relatively cheap at 60.

May not be manual pump but can work for your needs

Last edited by chazmtb; 05-23-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:08 AM

How much air do you need? Maybe a foot pump (that you step down on to generate pressure) will give you sufficient air flow. With a trigger nozzle on the end of the hose to control air flow, you might build enough pressure in the pump to be useful.

You could get a 5 gallon air tank and fill it up periodically with a floor pump (which would take forever) or with a compressor at the gas station.

I use a small 12 volt air compressor for filling tires at autocross events. Good ones aren't that noisy. Most are very noisy! I did a quick google, and it looks like you could pick up an AC version for under $100. The problem is that anytime you need air, the pump will be running. If you have someplace to enclose it, to reduce noise, maybe that's okay.

Or just get a 6 gallon pancake compressor...they're $100 at the blue and red big box stores...

Or the 2 gallon version mentioned above.

You'll find other uses for it.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-23-2018, 10:14 AM

If it’s just for blowing out small parts etc, then maybe the compressed air cans for blowing out electronics might do the trick....
Old 05-23-2018, 10:18 AM

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...or/p70901.html

Is it cost, space, noise, or all of them an issue? There are some pretty small and quiet compressors out there. The above is rated at 46 decibles and isnt in the stratosphere price wise. You can just get a nozzle for a schraeder floor pump, as well but not sure how well it would work for what you are doing. If you are used to a compressor and want the same ease of use, I think you would be better off with a compressor... my 2 cents anyway.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:28 AM

If you are going to commit the space to a portable air can, might as well get a 6 gallon or so 100psi pancake compressor. Easy to find light duty versions for less than $100. I use mine all the time, it fits easily in a cupboard or on the shelf on those rare occasions when the shop is clean.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:53 AM

Why not get something like a shopvac? I do everything from sweeping to detail dirt removal with mine.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:05 AM

There used to be electric powered compressors for use in darkrooms to clean film negatives, enlargers, etc. I had one made by Beseler and tried to convert it to pump tires but it was underpowered. I gave it to my DJ nephew to clean LP's. You might be able to find a used one. Most darkroom gear has relocated to the dump.
There is the Metro Datavac which is for cleaning computer gear. Perhaps something similar might work for you.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:41 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
Why not get something like a shopvac? I do everything from sweeping to detail dirt removal with mine.
Seems like the perfect tool for the OP.

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-2021.../dp/B004UQVQ0I
Old 05-23-2018, 12:21 PM

+1 on ShopVac.If you just needed one shot, you could simply add one of these to your floorpump:

The problem is that you need a continuous flow of air. Even with a 3 gallon compressor, I run out of air when cleaning and dry stuff.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:32 PM

plenty of small compressors available smaller than the size of a microwave.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:35 PM

You have to get a compressor for airbrushing. You can get fairly cheap at harbor freight. Get a good pressure regulator aswell.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:41 PM

I would second the use of a shop vac with the hose reversed so it blows - some come with attachments for a narrow stream of air.

Another way to go is putting a hose on an empty propane tank and recharging it at the gas station.