Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2018, 04:15 PM

S.F. to begin regulating shared ride scooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
The idea of the scooters is they are left anywhere. The whole city is their bike rack so to speak. So it's grab and go anywhere
SF starting to regulate "shared ride electric scooters".

https://hoodline.com/2018/05/city-or...its-are-issued
Old 05-25-2018, 04:19 PM

I had an inexpensive city bike for sale for several months on CL. The response was really unpredictable. No serious buyers for months (with on and off posting) except for extreme low-balls, then 3 legitimate buyers in one week and a quick sale. I probably should have donated it rather than deal with all of the flaky people on CL, but ultimately sold it.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:30 PM

I've had similar experiences. Not much interest on my Lemond Poprad commuter for months before it finally sold. I haven't been able to get rid of my 57cm aluminum frameset with a high quality carbon fork and carbon seatpost for $300 either.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:21 AM

My guess is there are cheaper beater bikes on your CL; that’s your market. I would put a cheaper post on it, knock the price down to 75 or 100 USD.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:49 AM

Give It To Someone

In that few hundred dollar range non cyclist are looking at box store bikes and for cyclist, unless there's a personal attachment to the model or there's something special about the model they will pass too.

Add to that it has to fit a potential buyer and the pool shrinks some a bit more.

Unless the funds are sorely needed I would give it to somebody. I had a MTB that I wasn't riding, gave it to my sister. We got her fitted and changed the tires and she rides it around her neighborhood.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:16 AM

Bikes last a long time, but manufacturers want to sell new stuff, so the used market is a glut. How often does a frame or even non-drivetrain part ever “wear out?” Bikes are more durable than cars, and more cost effective to repair.

I bought a 2016 cross bike, used for a year on Craigslist, for $550. custom build but I guess Msrp would have been pushing 2k. Your bike is cool but there’s a lot of competition. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:05 AM
UN-Registered User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
This is a rant as much as anything....
....Why wont anyone buy this? - its awesome!

Funny you bring this up and it just reminds me of the bike store closing posts....

This is just a sign of the times. People have gotten used to paying super low prices or finding ways to pay (so) little for things, that in a way, it is affecting all of us consumers and retailers.

Unless we're giving things away at garage sale prices, things just don't sell. And even then, people sometimes find it easier to buy something new and have the option or returning it and have a warranty no matter how low the price.... I personally have seen times when people visit a store, they know the price is low and a good opportunity, yet they still go look on Amazon because "it may be cheaper" and "can return it no matter what".

Last edited by Avispa; 05-26-2018 at 06:42 PM. Reason: better grammar, I guess
Old 05-26-2018, 10:44 AM

You Hit The Nail On The Head Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avispa View Post
Funny you bring this up and it just reminds me of the bike store closing posts....

This is just a sign of the times. People have gotten used to paying super low prices or finding ways to pay little for things that in a way, it is affecting all of us, consumers and retailers.

Unless we're giving things away at garage sale prices, things just don't sell. And even then, people sometimes find it easier to buy something new and have the option or returning it and have a warranty no matter how low the price.... I personally have seen times when people visit a store, they know the price is low and a good opportunity, yet they still go look on Amazon because "it may be cheaper" and "can return it no matter what".
This is a great point here that I over looked too. And it's so true, for most things outside of food (restaurants? well, even then I do sometimes!) I don't buy anything of value until I research it well. The net has made it possible far anybody and everybody to sell which makes it a race to the bottom price wise.

Which of course is great for consumers, sucks if you're looking to move stuff.