Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2018, 06:53 PM

Huge fan of my 1Up but if I was starting from scratch today, I'd do the Quik-Rack and hope he has what I want in stock.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
Huge fan of my 1Up but if I was starting from scratch today, I'd do the Quik-Rack and hope he has what I want in stock.
It looks like the Quik-Rack is secured from theft by a small pad lock? A thief with a cheap small pair of bolt cutters will easily steal this rack. Same with the add-on.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:04 PM

QuikRack might great, but they're always out of stock!
Old 04-26-2018, 09:19 PM

Yakima Dr Tray

It fits my road bikes
My fat bike
29 plus FS
The trays slide front to back and side to side. So one bike’s bar don’t rub on the next bike.

The locking system is fast and compact.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:21 AM

If you have a need for fat bikes, the older t2's don't work. I think 1ups are really cool, but man they aint cheap and no way to get a shop discount - direct only. I don't care for the 1up tension knob holder thing. But yeah, they are slightly lighter and fold up nice. I have an old t2, woks fine except no fat bikes, 1 up has a fat bike mod, for $ 80 or something, order when you oder rack, free shipping over 500.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:29 AM

Highland hanging

Also branded something else (?). I spent a lot of time researching this when I bought. Function then cost were my primary concerns. This is by far the cheapest NEW option. I just got some strips of Velcro and use to tie down to keep from swaying. Very satisfied.

1 modification I recommend, if using the 3-4th bike extension: get a welder to put a kink in the base bar so as to raise it a foot or so. This is what I did. The rear end sits pretty low, and that far out, will be a problem, without mod.

Andy in Houston

https://www.amazon.com/Highland-1375...e+rack+hitch+4

Last edited by cinco; 04-27-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:19 AM

1UP racks all the way... hitch...

super easy to pull on and off

On can start with one tray and add more later when the funds allow. This makes it significantly cheaper than other brands

Plus they are constructed quite well

Old 04-27-2018, 08:34 AM

Really, really happy with my Kuat nv 2.0. It was close between the 1up and the kuat for me. I wanted to like the Saris product more (and its cheaper) but it just feels less substantial. I stalked a guy in a parking lot and asked to check out his saros 'rack'.

Around the same time I found a new secondhand kuat so that sealed the deal. I think both are very good products, kuat perhaps just a little better at fat bikes (natively can handle them). The integrated lock cables are another nice feature though be sure and follow the instructions to grease and clean them well....I didn't and one of mine corroded with the salt this past winter. The Kuat is also, IMHO, the best looking rack in the bunch by far.

1up has the bonus of being USA-made which I like and its a little lighter and less bulky. They certainly hold firmly especially the super duty one and don't give up anything even with heavier kids bikes onboard.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:13 AM

Thanks so much for all the great advice!!
Old 04-27-2018, 09:21 AM

+1 for the Thule T2. It also has an addon to make a 4 bike. It's sturdy, light weight, and (my favorite feature) it has a threaded bolt hitch pin. This allows you to tighten down the hitch pin to prevent the dreaded sway of the rack while driving. Also includes locks for the hitch and bikes!

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-...---2-_-1689772
Old 04-27-2018, 09:28 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

As if we need more opinions in this thread my only hesitation with hitch mount racks that use an arm to hold the front wheel is that you can't really carry a bike with fenders - i mean, you can, but it's not as secure as clamping the front wheel directly and fenders aren't really designed for that kind of load.

The 1up (or at least that style), i think, is the only one that is hitch mounted, tray rack and doesn't matter if you have fenders. OP didn't mention a bike with fenders but inevitably, there is always that friend that has a bike with fenders.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
As if we need more opinions in this thread my only hesitation with hitch mount racks that use an arm to hold the front wheel is that you can't really carry a bike with fenders - i mean, you can, but it's not as secure as clamping the front wheel directly and fenders aren't really designed for that kind of load.

The 1up (or at least that style), i think, is the only one that is hitch mounted, tray rack and doesn't matter if you have fenders. OP didn't mention a bike with fenders but inevitably, there is always that friend that has a bike with fenders.
Good point. Does the 1up fit fenders though? Those rear fenders go pretty far down.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:41 AM

I would seriously recommend getting a tray style rack. I love the Thule T2 Pro XT over the Classic, and really any over any other tray style rack on the market. Yup, I said it. Very easy to build out of the box, nicely placed handle to raise or lower the rack out of the way and it will handle just about any bike you care to put on there until you get up to the fat bike tires. A 2 bike add-on is available assuming that you have a 2" receiver.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:48 AM

I have a Kuat Shepra. Works great! Simple and very secure. I really like the wedging mechanism to keep the rack from moving within the receiver hitch.

After years of Yakima on the roof I prefer this much more.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2018, 09:55 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Rear tray racks are great. If space is not at a premium, the Kuat NV 2.0 was much cheaper than the OneUp when I got mine (sale from Competitive Cyclist) and I have no trouble putting the 4 bike version on my Subaru Outback alone. It is heavy and is large to store, but I have room in my garage. Once on the car it is easy to load, though dropping it to get the rear hatch open with 4 bikes loaded really does take a second person, though if I have 4 bikes on the car there is usually someone with me. There are a lot of good options, certainly the OneUp--and the newer similar version under a new brand name--do fold up smaller, and they seem much easier to mount solo.