Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Trying to estimate that would give me a serious headache.

I ate a little on the Merlin XLM and the Holland Steel - though I also made some good donations to a 501(c)3 off them both (and off a number of the others too).

And some were just returns.

The rest were relatively breakeven - some I probably was up a little, others down a little.

I do have more money tied up in spares at the moment than I'd like to, but I'm working on that. And heck, if I'd put this stash in the market for a year, it's not like I'd be up that much anyway...
As I read this, three thoughts come to mind as some time ago I went down this road on a slightly smaller basis with vintage bikes and tons and tons of Campy parts......

1) The key word in all of this is 'probably'

2) Rationalization is a wonderful thing

and

3) Denial is not a river in Egypt
Old 08-24-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
The big kicker - I think I'm finally accepting a 36T may be the best for me
Does a Clean36T actually provide easier gears than a Clean39T?

Instagram
Old 08-24-2017, 02:23 PM

I like this thread.

but, sorry for this, what if your preferences or fit change next year? Will you need to buy and sell another 30 bikes to reestablish your bike equilibrium?

It also looks like you need more data points (buying and selling) in the not-road bike side of things to really figure that out.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 08-24-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
I like this thread.

but, sorry for this, what if your preferences or fit change next year? Will you need to buy and sell another 30 bikes to reestablish your bike equilibrium?

It also looks like you need more data points (buying and selling) in the not-road bike side of things to really figure that out.

30? Nah. But 5-10 is possible. Depends on what other priorities I have going and whether I go whole-hawg on racing in 2018 (and what type).
Old 08-31-2017, 05:08 PM
Formerly rchman

While I'm not on the same level as you, I have had about a dozen bikes come and go in the past two years so I can appreciate what you're going through to some degree. On the other hand, you really need to get a fit and ride one bike with that fit to figure out what you want. The amount of bikes on your list with "too big" on them is insane. Finding the correct size bike isn't voodoo magic: get stack, reach and STA. Once you have that, you should be good to go.

Also, most of your list is older bikes. You should dabble in the high end. The top of the line frames are so good these days that there is very little that separates them.

Get a fit, then go buy a C60

P.S. My personal rule for a bike is that I don't know its character until I've had 500 miles on it and that must include at least one 80-100 mile big mountain day, one day in the Santa Monica Mountains (technical descents), a few days through Griffith Park (my morning route that rivals the Classics in road quality) and a few hard, fast group rides. It's not until the bike has seen all of that that I can usually come to a conclusion about a bike. Try that, I'm guessing that'll slow down your rate a little bit too ;-)

Last edited by RyanH; 08-31-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchman View Post
While I'm not on the same level as you, I have had about a dozen bikes come and go in the past two years so I can appreciate what you're going through to some degree. On the other hand, you really need to get a fit and ride one bike with that fit to figure out what you want. The amount of bikes on your list with "too big" on them is insane. Finding the correct size bike isn't voodoo magic: get stack, reach and STA. Once you have that, you should be good to go.

Also, most of your list is older bikes. You should dabble in the high end. The top of the line frames are so good these days that there is very little that separates them.

Get a fit, then go buy a C60

P.S. My personal rule for a bike is that I don't know its character until I've had 500 miles on it and that must include at least one 80-100 mile big mountain day, one day in the Santa Monica Mountains (technical descents), a few days through Griffith Park (my morning route that rivals the Classics in road quality) and a few hard, fast group rides. It's not until the bike has seen all of that that I can usually come to a conclusion about a bike. Try that, I'm guessing that'll slow down your rate a little bit too ;-)
Solid advice on all counts. I'm kind of thinking I'll just clear things out down to my Merlin and put some miles on that for a while before making any decisions on what comes next. My experience with this Pegoretti has kind of been the last straw. I'm tired of taking chances on things and having to deal with the aftermath. I need to just build the war-chest and go all-in on one quality thing instead of dirking around with all of these good-deals that aren't quite right...

That said, I'm totally okay with someone impulse buying my Peg, Moots, or Keith Anderson. Just because I'm tired of churning doesn't mean you need to be
Old 11-03-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
  • New ’12 Trek Madone 6.9 SSL (60) – bought NOS, rode 1,500mi, didn’t like the lack of front end stiffness/tracking at time, but wish I’d kept this one
  • New ’14 Kestrel Legend SL (59) – bought online, sent back, didn’t think I liked the look and was going to keep the Madone
  • Used ’14 Cannondale SS EVO HM (58) – frame only, too small due to cut fork
  • New ’14 Cannondale SS EVO HM (58) – complete, bought online, returned, didn’t like the look
  • New ’15 Cannondale CAAD10 Black Inc (60) – bought on super-sale, didn’t like ride, found the Tarmac
  • New ’15 Niner Air 9 RDO (L) – returned, too small
  • Used ’15 Specialized Tarmac Pro (61) – liked it, kinda felt too big, wanted steel
  • Used ’07 Yamaguchi Team USA (59) – loved it, raced it, rode it, felt too big, wanted to rebuild w Campy, stripped it, rebuilt twice trying to get it to fit, admitted it doesn’t, passed on
  • Used ’12 Lynskey R460 (58) – complete, came as a bit of a basket-case, but a good price, tried it, had other projects in mind
  • Used ’04 Merckx MX Leader 25th Anniv (59) – complete, tried it, didn’t like clearance or bar/stem options
  • Used ‘90s Fat Chance (19) – frame only, looked too small, had other projects
  • Used ‘90s Serotta Colorado III (63) – semi-complete, built it, liked the ride, a bit big, didn’t like bar/stem options
  • Used Felt F1 (61) – frame only, wasn’t in described condition, went back to seller
  • Used ‘10s Zanconato Sportif (58.5) – frame only, liked ride, but not bar/stem options, and should have tried with a straight post given 72.5* STA, felt like I was way out the back and only realized that was due to a 25+mm setback after I sold it
  • Used ‘90s Holland Steel (64) – complete, way too big, not sure why I bought it
  • Used ’07 Holland Ti (59) – stripped to rebuild and got confused on measurements, should never have sold, biggest one I regret.. :L
  • Used ’05 Merlin XLM (22) – complete off PinkBike, parts were bunk, PayPal complaint process left a bad taste, sold the frame, donated the parts
  • Used '00s Serotta Legend/?? (57) – complete, bought for the wheels and fork, passed the frame on to a new owner
  • Used ’05 Merlin Extralight (62) – complete, rode great, too big
  • Used ‘00s Serotta Legend Ti (62) – complete, rode amazing, too big
  • Used ’08 Holland Ti (63) – complete, rode amazing, too big
  • New(ish) ’14 Kestrel Legend SL (59) – complete, great price from Amazon Whse, liked it a lot, liked the fit and geometry, wasn’t sure about frame clearance/style or carbon in general, wanted Ti/Steel in same proportions
  • Used ’11 Moots Rigormootis (20) – complete, package deal, got chance to get 29’er instead, sold frameset
  • Used ’11 Moots Vamoots CR (60) [current] – complete, stripped older DA, rebuilt w DA9100, rides great, fits great
  • Used ’03 Litespeed Ultimate (58) – complete, bought locally, guy needed to sell it and I passed on the deal to the forum folks knowing it was too small for me (most likely – could have made it work)
  • Used ’15 Moots Vamoots (52) – frameset, wife thought it was “too nice”, passed it on to forum member who wanted it initially
  • Used ’93 Keith Anderson (58) [current] – complete, responded to PSA on eBay listing, probably shouldn’t have, donating most of the parts, unsure I’ll keep it even though it has good clearance, but may hold onto it as a rain bike until the custom rando gets built
  • Used ’14 Moots MootoX RSL (20) [current] – frameset, discussed over a month or two with seller, decided to try it, unsure I need it vs. a ‘cross bike, going to build and ride while its up for sale
  • Used ’06 Merlin Works 6/4Ti (59) [current] – complete, bought locally, likely keeping as training bike until next race season
  • Used ’15 Pegoretti Marcelo (58) [inbound] – frame only, responded to PSA on eBay listing, hoping for a good fit and good ride characteristics, may push the Moots CR or the Merlin out the door depending on garage space
  • New Custom [maybe] - Thinking about a custom neo-rando road bike…like for the Race Across Oregon…bad roads, but still roads, all day/night riding…deposit in the Fall, delivery in the Winter.
I am dying to know what this list looks like now
Old 11-03-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaking20 View Post
I am dying to know what this list looks like now

Best laid plans have gone awry..

I think I'm over 40 now. Yikes!
Old 11-03-2017, 11:28 AM

I, for one, am pleased to have benefited from your activities.

I am up to 4 bikes at the moment, and am trying to decide if I can get down to 2.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:58 AM

Update as of November 2017...
  • New ’12 Trek Madone 6.9 SSL (60) – bought NOS, rode 1,500mi, didn’t like the lack of front end stiffness/tracking at time, but wish I’d kept this one
  • New ’14 Kestrel Legend SL (59) – bought online, sent back, didn’t think I liked the look and was going to keep the Madone
  • Used ’14 Cannondale SS EVO HM (58) – frame only, too small due to cut fork
  • New ’14 Cannondale SS EVO HM (58) – complete, bought online, returned, didn’t like the look
  • New ’15 Cannondale CAAD10 Black Inc (60) – bought on super-sale, didn’t like ride, found the Tarmac
  • New ’15 Niner Air 9 RDO (L) – returned, too small
  • Used ’15 Specialized Tarmac Pro (61) – liked it, kinda felt too big, wanted steel
  • Used ’07 Yamaguchi Team USA (59) – loved it, raced it, rode it, felt too big, wanted to rebuild w Campy, stripped it, rebuilt twice trying to get it to fit, admitted it doesn’t, passed on
  • Used ’12 Lynskey R460 (58) – complete, came as a bit of a basket-case, but a good price, tried it, had other projects in mind
  • Used ’04 Merckx MX Leader 25th Anniv (59) – complete, tried it, didn’t like clearance or bar/stem options
  • Used ‘90s Fat Chance (19) – frame only, looked too small, had other projects
  • Used ‘90s Serotta Colorado III (63) – semi-complete, built it, liked the ride, a bit big, didn’t like bar/stem options
  • Used Felt F1 (61) – frame only, wasn’t in described condition, went back to seller
  • Used ‘10s Zanconato Sportif (58.5) – frame only, liked ride, but not bar/stem options, and should have tried with a straight post given 72.5* STA, felt like I was way out the back and only realized that was due to a 25+mm setback after I sold it
  • Used ‘90s Holland Steel (64) – complete, way too big, not sure why I bought it
  • Used ’07 Holland Ti (59) – stripped to rebuild and got confused on measurements, should never have sold, biggest one I regret.. :L
  • Used ’05 Merlin XLM (22) – complete off PinkBike, parts were bunk, PayPal complaint process left a bad taste, sold the frame, donated the parts
  • Used '00s Serotta Legend/?? (57) – complete, bought for the wheels and fork, passed the frame on to a new owner
  • Used ’05 Merlin Extralight (62) – complete, rode great, too big
  • Used ‘00s Serotta Legend Ti (62) – complete, rode amazing, too big
  • Used ’08 Holland Ti (63) – complete, rode amazing, too big
  • New(ish) ’14 Kestrel Legend SL (59) – complete, great price from Amazon Whse, liked it a lot, liked the fit and geometry, wasn’t sure about frame clearance/style or carbon in general, wanted Ti/Steel in same proportions
  • Used ’11 Moots Rigormootis (20) – complete, package deal, got chance to get 29’er instead, sold frameset
  • Used ’11 Moots Vamoots CR (60) [sold] – complete, stripped older DA, rebuilt w DA9100, rides great, fits great, sold when the Peg landed and I thought I was keeping that one
  • Used ’03 Litespeed Ultimate (58) – complete, bought locally, guy needed to sell it and I passed on the deal to the forum folks knowing it was too small for me (most likely – could have made it work)
  • Used ’15 Moots Vamoots (52) – frameset, wife thought it was “too nice”, passed it on to forum member who wanted it initially
  • Used ’93 Keith Anderson (58) [sold] – complete, responded to PSA on eBay listing, probably shouldn’t have, donated most of the parts, too short ST for a level TT frame for me
  • Used ’14 Moots MootoX RSL (20) [sold] – frameset, discussed over a month or two with seller, decided to try it, never built it
  • Used ’06 Merlin Works 6/4Ti (59) [sold] – complete, bought locally, rode great, fit really well, but had clearance issues for aero wheels
  • Used ’15 Pegoretti Marcelo (58) [turned out to be a 60 and too tall up front - now sold to a loving home]
  • Used '15 Salsa Colossal Ti (58) - figured it'd be my wet-weather commuter, wasn't my jam for a few reasons, passed on to a Paceline'r
  • Used Serotta Rapid Tour and Used Pegoretti Duende [sold], bought from Pawn Shops to pass on to Paceliner's, spread the love successfully
  • Used Look KG281 CA - bought off eBay, arrived with irreconcilable issues, returned it to seller
  • Used Time CX Pro Frameset - bought off eBay, seller measured it wrong and it had some other undisclosed issues, returned it to him
  • Used 2017 Bowman Palace:R [current - may sell, may keep] (58) - bought off eBay complete with DA9000, very low miles, fits great, but as good as this aluminum is, it still isn't Ti and would be relegated to being my racer - has been great for confirming sizing/position particulars though and has been fun for training this past few weeks - stiffness feels good in some arenas, not in others - may just sit on my smart trainer most of the winter
  • Used Serotta NHX [current] - (59) - bought from Buck50 here, seems to fit nicely with a 58TT and the -17 stem - planning to ride this as a commuter and wet-weather trainer through the winter
  • Used '16 Orbea Orca OMR M-Team [current - may sell] (57) - bought off CL/PinkBike from CO after checking one out on a business trip in CA and reading good things, handles great, superlight, but I don't dig the Di2 and yet again confirmed even the best carbon still isn't Ti - also confirmed fit parameters
  • Used Davidson Ti [inbound from Temeyone] (58) - should fit the same as the Bowman/Orbea, but hoping for that glorious titanium ride and one more data point before...
  • New Steve Potts Custom [considering] - got the order form printed out, 12 weeks lead time, and I think I have enough to go on now to get a custom done even though the fitter I contacted flaked on me - I want this to be my "do everything other than crits and commute" bike - Gran Fondos, Brevets, etc. and just general enjoyment rides - he checks every custom-builder box for me right down to the logo aesthetic... But it's a big commitment.

And for those saying I should spend less time tinkering and more time riding - according to Strava I'm at 4,550mi for the year - which is pretty dang good for me - should wind out around 5,500mi by the end of the year if I don't spend too much time trail-running as it gets wet/cold/dark in the PNW.

Last edited by Clean39T; 11-03-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:11 PM

That's a lovely list of ti!

I make the excuse that I can buy low, fix up and sell high. Ti is good for that since it's low volume, high margin.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:19 PM

30-40 or so bikes in 1 year with a huge delta in frame sizes. Sure, that's perfectly normal.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:20 PM

Didn't you pick up a steel Pacenti made by Goodrich as well?
Old 11-03-2017, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowgram5 View Post
Didn't you pick up a steel Pacenti made by Goodrich as well?
haha, busted!
Old 11-03-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
haha, busted!
Yes! Knew I was forgetting one - but I got begged by someone here to sell it to them and was persuaded before I ever got it out of the box...so that goes in the "spread the love" category.