Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2018, 07:09 PM

OT: DVR with good broadcast tuner

I live in a fringe area and since broadcast went digital have always had trouble pulling in stations - especially when the weather is iffy. It's really annoying to record something and find that it's half (or sometimes more) blank screen. Just bought a new TV and have noticed that I have much better reception through the TV than through the DVR, which is a first generation digital Philips. Wondering what's out there that's reasonably priced and has a good tuner. I don't need a huge hard drive, assuming that it will have a DVD recorder as well.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:28 PM

Would a different antenna help more?
Old 05-25-2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
Would a different antenna help more?
Bought the best available when broadcast went digital. It's 10 or 12 feet long and 6 or 8 feet wide. Have an amplifier on it as well. I'm in a valley with hills between me and the broadcast towers. What I need is a 100' tower to mount my antenna on. But the new TV makes it clear that tuners have been improved.

Lots of Tivo DVRs on ebay. Do they have a tuner, or just for cable?
Old 05-25-2018, 07:50 AM

If your antenna is that large it is likely a VHF or UHF/VHF combo. I believe most digital stations now broadcast on UHF though in your area that may not be the case. Either way, go to this site to see the signal strength for your address.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

Then go to this site and look at their offerings. Call a tech and they will help you find the best set up.
https://www.solidsignal.com/

JMO, but I think the main problem is your antenna. The techs at Solid Signal have sorted out some problems for me and optimized my reception for not many $$$.

Last edited by Birddog; 05-25-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:23 PM

Not sure if digital signals conform to the old VHF/UHF channel numbers but local stations that I get are 4, 6, 8, 18, 24, and 43. So a 50/50 split. When I typed in my address at TVFool only 3 of them came up on the list.

I have a Winegard antenna that's pretty comparable to this one:

https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=HD8200U

Don't doubt there's more that could be done on the antenna front but the point was that I get better reception with the new TV than the old DVR.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:11 PM

I'm no expert but there is something called the "digital cliff". Some receivers are better at capturing more of the signal and don't pixilate or buffer so readily. Your new set is likely better at this before falling off the "cliff". Call a tech at Solid Signal and explain what is happening. They might have a DVR that suits you. Tell them your TV Fool results too, they are really helpful. In my case they talked me out of an antenna and amp that I thought I needed and put me in a much lower priced antenna only that works perfectly. More antenna and more amplifier don't always translate to better signal.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:23 PM

I can't offer advice about a DVR/tuner, but I can suggest, if you haven't already done this, is to get an antenna rotor and the highest gain directional antenna you can buy. Pointing the antenna at the transmitter will give you the best results.

Actually, sometimes the reflected signal is better than the direct signal. With an antenna rotor, you have the freedom to experiment.

Last edited by Peter P.; 05-26-2018 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
Bought the best available when broadcast went digital. It's 10 or 12 feet long and 6 or 8 feet wide. Have an amplifier on it as well. I'm in a valley with hills between me and the broadcast towers. What I need is a 100' tower to mount my antenna on. But the new TV makes it clear that tuners have been improved.

Lots of Tivo DVRs on ebay. Do they have a tuner, or just for cable?
There's a Roamio OTA thats meant for...well, Over The Air. I have a Roamio for cable, works very well, but paying for the subscription is $$$.