Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
Well, I am lactose intolerant but vegan pate sounds horrible. Wait, will being lactose intolerant affect which bike I should get? Please discuss.

Yeah, the characteristics you mentioned are the ones I’m after. I’ve been racing on a Fisher Cronus road for years and it’s been better for me than one might expect. But it’s getting pebbled to death and clear coat is starting to come off.

We used to have a very generous Trek sponsorship and I briefly owned an Emonda SLR 9 but found the rear end hurt my lower back (first bike where that’s ever happened) and I wasn’t a fan of di2.

My sense is that the Cervelo and Canyons are likely more forgiving in the rear. The geo for the R3 will definitely work but not the new lower R5. The Canyon Ultimate may work but not the lower Aeroad. A Tarmac could work but it’s out of my price range - unless...anyone want a 2010 Fisher Cronus road in “perfect condition”? (Forget what I said above. Couldn’t be more pristine. Practically new “other”)!
Ya, I figured you needed a little more stack height. I see the Tarmac as the goldilocks of race bikes when it comes stack.

I hadn't checked the current prices of the complete Tarmacs although I know the S-Works frame is now 4K plus. Wow. That said most shops would be willing to drop at least $500 of the price of a complete bike. This Expert at $5500 strikes me as a better deal than a comparable Cervelo or Canyon.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=239636-129283

The Cronus was a great bike.

Last edited by m4rk540; 05-16-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:40 PM
kg

The Canyon SLX is their top end frame and with Ultegra 8000 and Mavic carbon wheels (that I don’t need), it’s $3,800. Sell the wheels and it’s less. The Cervelo R3 is $3,700 with pit wheels. The Tarmac Pro uses a frame that sits second in their line, equivalent to the R3 or Canyon’s SL (can’t be had in the US with rim brakes but in Europe yes as a complete with Ultegra and pit wheels for EUR 2,100). In my browser, the Tarmac Pro comes up at $6,000. I’m sure it’s great, but I want to see if the cheaper options work for me first.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:02 PM

$3800 is compelling. But unless you do your own wrenching, on these modern frames service support is essential so direct to consumer becomes a liability. Also, the Canyon cockpit is worthless due to limited sizes. The larger Specialized dealers will work with you. If I were buying the expert, Id ask for $500 off and let them keep the wheels. That's $2100 off the top.

Also, if you havent seen one of these up close the Oil Chameleon/Acid Pink Clean paint is fantastic and as nice as any $1500 custom paint job. Specialized is really killing it. Finally, the Tarmac has nicer cranks; a few hundred bucks nicer.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...=209796-116862

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/pr...=219824-130931
Old 05-16-2018, 04:22 PM
kg

Sounds promising. Let me know when you negotiate that deal!

Old 05-16-2018, 04:22 PM

SLX over SL? No.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
I’ve been considering a test ride, but then I look at the cost (of the bike, not the rest ride itself )
I was considering the Canyon's b/c of the feature to value ratio but seriously have to reconsider after what Fignon had to say above. Why not a slightly used Spesh? There are some killer deals on fleabay on 2017 Tarmac's. If they are good enough for Sagan, Contador etc. I think that's enough proof for me.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:20 AM
kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by erolorhun View Post
SLX over SL? No.
Dunno. Reviews of the SL are hard to come by.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:24 AM

I have the SL Canyon, just got it. Fit (M) is almost the same as 56cm Cannondale Supersix EVO (stack reach etc) per https://geometrygeeks.bike/ (cool site btw) Canyon uses a 1 1/4 front end that feels stiffer than Cannondale, the back end feels more "compliant" but probably due to carbon vs alu seat post on mine. I have the disc version, so probably wouldn't be the full race OP is thinking of. Significantly cheaper than Cannondale/Trek/Felt/Cervelo with similar build, wheels are DT Swiss and quite a pleasant surprise. All the others seem to come with "pit wheels" as stated above (so that's 500-1k right there) Mine is the one Velonews reviewed here: http://www.velonews.com/bike-review/...isc-8-0_459907
Old 05-17-2018, 07:53 AM

I have the Aeroroad cf slx so this might not be the greatest comparison. The ride is decent but nothing remarkable. I would recommend stocking up on the under bb cable guides as they have a history of breakin if you are running mechanical. Also the stock seatpost, the only option due to shaping of the seat tube, sucks. It is flexy and the mounting/ adjustment mechanism gets frozen in place despite re-greasing it frequently. I got my frame used but I wouldn’t buy another. Oh also the internal routing is kind of a pain to work on but it looks like most frames are going in that direction these days anyway. Of course YMMV I only have about 1000-1200 miles on the bike.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:43 AM

I think Canyon really screwed up by not allowing bar/stem size swapping and wheelset options.

The old way of putting 44cm bars on anything over 58cm is ridiculous (especially on an aero bike!); as is expecting everyone who rides a 58 to want a 110 stem.

Also, the wheels that come on the $4K Tarmac are not “pit wheels”.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:09 PM

I just recently built up a NOS 2013 R3 and it is pretty good. The impression that I get is "ok, this would be a great bike for a racer". It's light and stiff, handles well and is otherwise pretty unnoticeable--it just does what a bike should do. I think the new R3 and R5 have addressed the major complaints about the old versions most importantly the size of tire you can fit in the back. If I could slap on some 28's to my R3 I would be pretty happy. The build quality is great and I hope to never find out, but Cervelo's warranty is also great. You owe it to yourself to try a tarmac ( I bet it's more laterally stiff and vertically compliant!! ), then you get a vote from me to go for an R3 if you're not into the tarmac.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:52 PM

Just visited the Canyon US headquarters and showroom in Carlsbad (about 5 miles from where I live) that just opened up. I would not hesitate to buy and ride any of Canyon’s offerings. Compared to Spec/Trek/Giant, you do get much more for your buck.

When I left, I was trying to decide which to get first, the ultimate, grail(gravel), hardtail, XC, or trail bike. I’d be totally happy with any of their bikes. Big plus—you don’t see them everywhere, yet...
Old 05-17-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radsmd View Post
Just visited the Canyon US headquarters and showroom in Carlsbad (about 5 miles from where I live) that just opened up. I would not hesitate to buy and ride any of Canyon’s offerings. Compared to Spec/Trek/Giant, you do get much more for your buck.

When I left, I was trying to decide which to get first, the ultimate, grail(gravel), hardtail, XC, or trail bike. I’d be totally happy with any of their bikes. Big plus—you don’t see them everywhere, yet...
Been wanting to check that out, do they have a lot on display and do they let you do test rides ?

Old 05-17-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
Been wanting to check that out, do they have a lot on display and do they let you do test rides ?

Yes and yes.

Free “demos”, mainly of the road and gravel bikes. Convenient since they are right off of the PCH. No off road demos, yet. I am told they are planning on future “demo days” though.

They are also within shouting distance from Campagnolo NA, but only had a couple bikes outfitted with Campy in the showroom.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:07 PM

I've been flirting with the Canyon Ultimate for a racier bike than my 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4. I was looking at the geometrygeeks site (thanks @Davist ) and now I'm a little worried.

backstory: my wife calls me a corgi. I have short legs. I'm just under 6' tall, but I have a 32" pants inseam. Canyon says I should ride a medium. The 56 cm Roubaix, while tall, has a longer effective top tube. Has anyone gone from an endurance style bike to an Ultimate and found it to be cramped?

Hell, now I'm just thinking I might be able to get a 2cm longer stem, slam it, and see if my Roubaix still does it for me. Insights welcome.

Cheers!
Ben