Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2022, 08:37 PM
D.Bordewisch

Just make sure you know what your custom needs are. If you have any uncertainty, it's probably best to get a bike fit from a well-respected bike fitter. Otherwise, you'll get an expensive mistake. I'm fortunate that I can fit most stock sizes. Take a look at Seven's geometry, they have the widest range of options in their signature/stock sizes.[/QUOTE]

This is the thing to do. So many assume that knowing how to weld tubes together means you know about bike fit. One would not expect the opposite to be true. That a great bike fitter knows how to weld? Get a fit from a Retul certified fitter. Every year I see "custom" geometry frames that are just Seatpost and stem away from stock. You may want to revisit the statement that Moots does not do custom. Get fitted first!
Old 09-15-2022, 08:59 PM

I agree with the Philly Bike Expo comments but I have to say im a little incredulous that we got 4 pages deep and no one mentioned STEVE POTTS.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Punch the ticket with Brad. Beyond his skill as a welder, which I feel is beyond great, the process, dropout design and materials are spot on. The precision with which he does flat mount alignment and final frame alignment is outstanding.
Yes I did back in '97, he was 20. I taught him what I knew, gave him some guidance and then whoosh. For about 6 months to a year I welded frames, then the road frames and then he was just plain better. Don't know how many frames he has welded but it is a lot.

Also I went to part time for 7 years and he took over as production manager. He did all the custom frame drawings in AutoCAD, designed the Cinchpost and we worked together on tooling, he did much of it. He now works with Ed, who has been a mechanic for 30+ years and his wife Hanna.

I've been in a lot of frame shops over the years and I have not seen a better 1-2 man shop, tooling and process are dialed to deliver consistently excellent results, I feel the biggest challenge for any builder. He has never stopped working towards improving.

A pet peeve of mine with any bike is the use of Syntace style dropouts where a builder needs this "crutch" to make the rear wheel fit evenly between all the stays. At Moots it was a priority that a properly dished wheel fit correctly in the rear triangle. A big challenge with thru axles. This takes proper fixturing throughout the process as well as bending, shaping, mitering, tacking, weld sequence, facing and alignment steps to assure each frame is as good or better than the last.

Sorry for the rant...
Old 09-19-2022, 03:32 PM

I wanted to give an update. I did put a deposit down with Brad with Bingham bikes. The lead time is really reasonable and my whole build should be ready around March. That will be just in time for spring where I'm at. I am also getting professionally fitted and measured so the bike will be built to my exact specifications.

I would also like to mention that Mike at DeSalvo bikes was extremely awesome and professional when I talked to him. I would have strongly considered him but being a 1 man shop his lead times are 1-1.5 years currently(still better than firefly). That being said I'd recommend at least having a conversation with him if anyone else is interested in a custom built bike in the future. His prices are lower than a lot of other custom builders as well.

Thanks again for all the input and recommendations from everyone.

Cheers!
Old 09-19-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason5906 View Post
I wanted to give an update. I did put a deposit down with Brad with Bingham bikes. The lead time is really reasonable and my whole build should be ready around March. That will be just in time for spring where I'm at. I am also getting professionally fitted and measured so the bike will be built to my exact specifications.

I would also like to mention that Mike at DeSalvo bikes was extremely awesome and professional when I talked to him. I would have strongly considered him but being a 1 man shop his lead times are 1-1.5 years currently(still better than firefly). That being said I'd recommend at least having a conversation with him if anyone else is interested in a custom built bike in the future. His prices are lower than a lot of other custom builders as well.

Thanks again for all the input and recommendations from everyone.

Cheers!
You'll be glad you made this choice!
Old 09-19-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Yes I did back in '97, he was 20. I taught him what I knew, gave him some guidance and then whoosh. For about 6 months to a year I welded frames, then the road frames and then he was just plain better. Don't know how many frames he has welded but it is a lot.

Also I went to part time for 7 years and he took over as production manager. He did all the custom frame drawings in AutoCAD, designed the Cinchpost and we worked together on tooling, he did much of it. He now works with Ed, who has been a mechanic for 30+ years and his wife Hanna.

I've been in a lot of frame shops over the years and I have not seen a better 1-2 man shop, tooling and process are dialed to deliver consistently excellent results, I feel the biggest challenge for any builder. He has never stopped working towards improving.

A pet peeve of mine with any bike is the use of Syntace style dropouts where a builder needs this "crutch" to make the rear wheel fit evenly between all the stays. At Moots it was a priority that a properly dished wheel fit correctly in the rear triangle. A big challenge with thru axles. This takes proper fixturing throughout the process as well as bending, shaping, mitering, tacking, weld sequence, facing and alignment steps to assure each frame is as good or better than the last.

Sorry for the rant...
Not a rant--I learned something!

My late father--crack machinist that he was--often said that it was all in the setup and procedure. Pretty funny, because that is the ball game as far as I'm concerned

Tags
custom, gravel bike, titanium