Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2023, 02:31 PM

I have a Cannondale CX-9 that I like very much for all the reasons that OP states: metal, fun, cheap. But it´s canti (yes, could be plus for some folks) and a 54 when I really could do with a 56.

So I´ve been on the lookout for a modern, thruaxled, FlatMounted, 56 cm CAADX for a pretty long time now and basically they are kinda thin on the ground. I´ve started to suspect that Cannondale throttles CAADX production/availability to steer people in the direction of Topstone and it`s derivatives. I don´t know. But the lack of CAADX for the people is almost bordering on baffling. CAADX as a model line is there on Cannondales website, but not much more than that.

Something for AJ and Hecklefish on The Why Files to look into?
Old 01-24-2023, 02:58 PM

CAADX had a recall that impacted 10,000+ bikes. That probably took a bunch of them off the used market permanently and may have derailed the model's ability to continue upwards development.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:47 PM

There is a 2019 CAADX if you could make a 58 work listed on facebook in Atlanta. Frameset-asking is $600. It's the purple model.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erolorhun View Post
I have a Cannondale CX-9 that I like very much for all the reasons that OP states: metal, fun, cheap. But it´s canti (yes, could be plus for some folks) and a 54 when I really could do with a 56.

So I´ve been on the lookout for a modern, thruaxled, FlatMounted, 56 cm CAADX for a pretty long time now and basically they are kinda thin on the ground. I´ve started to suspect that Cannondale throttles CAADX production/availability to steer people in the direction of Topstone and it`s derivatives. I don´t know. But the lack of CAADX for the people is almost bordering on baffling. CAADX as a model line is there on Cannondales website, but not much more than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsibis View Post
There is a 2019 CAADX if you could make a 58 work listed on facebook in Atlanta. Frameset-asking is $600. It's the purple model.
Thanks! But I need a 56cm. Maybe erolorhun wants it? The old 56 equates to the new 58.
Old 01-26-2023, 02:17 PM

There's a 54cm 2020 CAADX on eBay, if you can make that work.
Old 01-26-2023, 03:23 PM

I have a 2011 (I think) model with cantis and I've casually kept my eyes peeled for a disc version for years and I rarely see them for sale. I think maybe they just didn't sell a lot of them for whatever reason, but they are excellent bikes. I've even considered going as far as to swap forks and add disc mounts to my frame.

As for what makes them special...it's basically a road bike with fat tires. It's old school CX geometry instead of the slack geo of most current gravel rigs. There may be alternatives but I haven't seen much that would be very similar.
Old 01-26-2023, 07:07 PM

I have a 2014 CAADX (upgraded from a 2014 SuperX) that's a total frankenbike and I use it for everything.

Today I did a hill sprint workout on the road after riding it through a mile of thick snow and 100m of a 6inch deep river in a wildlife refuge.

Tomorrow I might throw racks on it and ride it into work then ride it on the trainer when I get home just to remind myself I can.

But that's not even CLOSE to the end...

- It's sand-blasted to bare aluminum.
- I sanded the fork down to carbon.
- It has aero bars on it.
- I shift with a friction shifter epoxied to TRP SS levers.
- The BB is a thread-together with external bearings because **** BB30 and the cranks are e13 xcx race because I'm a recovering WeightWeenie
- The cables are full external and electrical-taped to the frame
- And when the aero bars aren't there I use a RouteWerks handlebar bag and the thing is a TRUCK.

But I just can't get over that it's QR disc. So I stay up at night sweating, thinking about how sturdy it would be if it were Thru-Axle...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg processed-b6d97a2d-0f69-4400-b1a2-c613d6784944_Z5da5FO3.jpg (149.6 KB, 187 views)

Last edited by CyclingOnTheMind; 01-26-2023 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Photo
Old 01-26-2023, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingOnTheMind View Post
I have a 2014 CAADX (upgraded from a 2014 SuperX) that's a total frankenbike and I use it for everything.

Today I did a hill sprint workout on the road after riding it through a mile of thick snow and 100m of a 6inch deep river in a wildlife refuge.

Tomorrow I might throw racks on it and ride it into work then ride it on the trainer when I get home just to remind myself I can.

- The BB is a thread-together with external bearings because **** BB30 and the cranks are e13 xcx race because I'm a recovering WeightWeenie
- And when the aero bars aren't there I use a RouteWerks handlebar bag and the thing is a TRUCK.

But I just can't get over that it's QR disc. So I stay up at night sweating, thinking about how sturdy it would be if it were Thru-Axle...

That is amazing!!! QR disc is a lie. If you have hydro calipers they self-center on the rotor anyway. Even if not it’s fine, I’ve had plenty of both QR and TA and I can’t tell any difference at all.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:52 PM
Head to Ned

Another option is the CAADX SE. These come with wider range gearing which makes them even more versatile.

Here's my '19
https://www.flickr.com/photos/222196...57719566347943
Old 01-26-2023, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
Another option is the CAADX SE. These come with wider range gearing which makes them even more versatile.

Here's my '19
https://www.flickr.com/photos/222196...57719566347943
That’s the one I’m looking for. SE doesn’t matter, CAADXs are just hard to find period.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Duuuuude...I thought mine had been worked over. I salute you!
Old 01-27-2023, 11:17 AM

2016 CAADX in 56cm https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3521001/

EDIT: Oops, superX. Still seems cool tho
Old 01-27-2023, 11:36 AM
aluminati

Quote:

sounds like something that deserves it's own build thread
Old 01-27-2023, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsew View Post
2016 CAADX in 56cm https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3521001/

EDIT: Oops, superX. Still seems cool tho
I actually had this one before too. Awesome bike, but not what I'm looking for.
Old 01-27-2023, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russd32 View Post
Duuuuude...I thought mine had been worked over. I salute you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronffs View Post
sounds like something that deserves it's own build thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
That is amazing!!! QR disc is a lie. If you have hydro calipers they self-center on the rotor anyway. Even if not it’s fine, I’ve had plenty of both QR and TA and I can’t tell any difference at all.
Here's a sneak-peek image of this bad mamma-jamma. I think you've inspired me to do a build thread...

To prove that this bike is indestructible (at the risk of ruining this build's reputation by taking it too far) check out this other photo. The star nut was slowly slipping then broke fully, so I got a carbon steerer expander plug, wrapped it in sandpaper and carbon grippy paste, and cranked that baby down. She'll never rattle again. Aluminum is king.

P.S. I have since learned, after sanding it down, that the fork was recalled for snapping at the carbon-aluminum interface. But I choose to believe all the miles on my fork decrease the chances of it snapping, rather than increase it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG20230102155353.jpg (109.2 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20221222215423.jpg (49.3 KB, 101 views)