Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-20-2023, 04:14 PM
PaMtbRider PaMtbRider is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: York, Pa.
Posts: 2,412
Specialized cutting prices, 25% off Stumpjumper

It looks like Specialized is sitting on some inventory and cutting prices.

I didn't see any road bikes that interest me (Aethos) but a couple of their Stumpjumper mountain bikes are back down to pre pandemic prices with a 25% price drop. I've been riding my ancient mountain bike lately and sort of shopping for a new one. I had taken the Stumpjumper off the list but this has me reconsidering.

They also have components on sale. I saw some Roval wheels marked down 25% as well.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-20-2023, 04:22 PM
AngryScientist's Avatar
AngryScientist AngryScientist is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: northeast NJ
Posts: 33,332
I noticed in my email over the last few days several vendors advertising Shimano overstock sales too, so I think there is a pile of inventory sitting in warehouses right now that vendors want to move.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-20-2023, 05:54 PM
HenryA HenryA is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,028
Last year was a very good year to sell your bike shop.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-20-2023, 06:08 PM
fa63's Avatar
fa63 fa63 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,999
All those LBSs that sold to Trek or Specialized for big bucks must be having a chuckle right now. Which is great for them because they probably didn't make a whole lot of money the while they were independently owned and operated

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
Last year was a very good year to sell your bike shop.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-20-2023, 06:39 PM
HenryA HenryA is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,028
I bet there’s some Epic accounting going on. (pun intended)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-20-2023, 06:48 PM
lavi's Avatar
lavi lavi is offline
Deconditioned!
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: pdx
Posts: 3,572
Yea. I snagged a post.
__________________
Peg Mxxxxxo e Duende|Argo RM3|Hampsten|Crux
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-21-2023, 08:49 AM
oldpotatoe's Avatar
oldpotatoe oldpotatoe is offline
Proud Grandpa
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Republic of Boulder, USA
Posts: 47,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
It looks like Specialized is sitting on some inventory and cutting prices.

I didn't see any road bikes that interest me (Aethos) but a couple of their Stumpjumper mountain bikes are back down to pre pandemic prices with a 25% price drop. I've been riding my ancient mountain bike lately and sort of shopping for a new one. I had taken the Stumpjumper off the list but this has me reconsidering.

They also have components on sale. I saw some Roval wheels marked down 25% as well.
Gotta wonder how Spec 'handles' LBS' that aren't part of the Spec 'universe', not a factory store and these deep discounts. Does the 'factory' give the LBS some sort of $ break? For inventory already on their floors?
__________________
Chisholm's Custom Wheels
Qui Si Parla Campagnolo
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-21-2023, 09:28 AM
BrazAd BrazAd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 169
My Spesh dealer told me a couple of weeks ago to wait before I buy anything, that Spesh had cut pricing 3 times in 3 months and that was unprecedented. He said he expected more sales coming, especially by March.

Gary


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-21-2023, 09:54 AM
EB EB is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: This is a no biking trail, California
Posts: 2,613
Spesh is in trouble. Lotta rumors swirling.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-21-2023, 10:05 AM
prototoast prototoast is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 6,091
Now I'm not going to say I'm the perfect representative consumer, but I will note that the bikes they have on sale have very little overlap with the bikes that I might personally be interested in. Maybe I could see myself getting a stumpjumper, but I would be much more interested in Crux, Epic, Chisel, Aethos, Fuse, Tarmac, Allez, and I don't see any of those on sale.
__________________
Instagram - DannAdore Bicycles
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-21-2023, 10:08 AM
rallizes rallizes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
Spesh is in trouble. Lotta rumors swirling.
What kind of rumors?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-21-2023, 11:25 AM
flying flying is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
Spesh is in trouble. Lotta rumors swirling.
Not just them remember Giant recently also deferred payments to suppliers.
I'm thinking 2023 will see many sales but less buyers running to buy for the same reasons
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-21-2023, 11:32 AM
nmrt nmrt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,950
you said it.

when the tarmacs and aethos's, and the epic's, and the crux's and the emonda slr's (wait....that's Trek, but you get the idea) come at 40% off, wake me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Now I'm not going to say I'm the perfect representative consumer, but I will note that the bikes they have on sale have very little overlap with the bikes that I might personally be interested in. Maybe I could see myself getting a stumpjumper, but I would be much more interested in Crux, Epic, Chisel, Aethos, Fuse, Tarmac, Allez, and I don't see any of those on sale.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-21-2023, 01:18 PM
Alexi's Avatar
Alexi Alexi is offline
Go Sox!
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cape Ann
Posts: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Gotta wonder how Spec 'handles' LBS' that aren't part of the Spec 'universe', not a factory store and these deep discounts. Does the 'factory' give the LBS some sort of $ break? For inventory already on their floors?
Nope, and they sometimes don’t even bother telling you that they put items on sale.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-21-2023, 06:22 PM
peanutgallery peanutgallery is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 717
Posts: 3,999
This checks out as standard operating procedure for the big S. Companies occasionally play this game but specialized is probably the worst

As stated above, they're in a spot of bother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexi View Post
Nope, and they sometimes don’t even bother telling you that they put items on sale.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.