Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-02-2023, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I work on a lot more than bicycles, and a sturdy work bench is a must for me.

I build the bench directly into the garage, hooking and triangulating to the studs. I want to be able to hang my body weight off a 3' wrench pulling on something clamped in the bench vise without the bench itself moving.

The biggest revelation in my new work space(s) in the last decade have been lighting. LED shop lights are so good and it would be hard to go back to a few bulbs hanging here and there. Amazing how things get easier when you can see what you're working on!
LEDs - I agree- I have 4 4k lumen lights above my 14’ bench, bolted to the wall!
Old 02-02-2023, 08:52 AM

I built massive drawer base & workbench tops in my basement, nearly 20 linear feet in an L pattern. Tons of drawers, cabinet shelves, etc. Naturally I never put anything away so it all sits on top, where I can find it.

The mistake I made was covering the benchtop with a massive sticker collection (which still gets new additions). This turns out to be perfect tool camo and small parts can disappear entirely. Now I have to use old cookie sheets with a shop rag to hold my project so I don’t spend time searching the bench with a flashlight looking for tiny parts. Put your stickers on something that won’t hold a tool, such as your kid.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:29 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonification View Post
Just thought I'd share..over the Christmas break I finally bit the bullet and started putting wood pieces together (all scrap!). Overall pleased!
That's a good start Jason pal. As good as any, especially as your first attempt. As you go along, you will figure out more. It doesn't have to be perfect the first time. In fact, what works for me might not work for you because we have different working style, constraints, habits, preference, OCD range... it's important that you figure it out on your own and find your own path, ask questions, do your research by all means, but understand it takes time and experience. It will take some time, a few trial and error, don't be afraid to make changes as you go along Just remember this, a working area is just that, a place to work... not for show, not to look at, not for display... same as bike, don't be that sucker that spends an inordinate amount of time and money building the perfect bike and then turn around to list it on the classifieds after three months with less than 500 miles...

I love wrenching. I am not very good at it but I love doing it after more than 30+ years, it gives me equal amount of pleasure as riding. We are having a weather event here in Austin over the last couple of days, so I was using the downtime to clean up, re-organize my work space in the garage. It's an ongoing process. Angry pal is right, the best thing you can do is improve the lighting condition. Get something from Costco.
https://www.costco.com/feit-electric...100777294.html
Good luck!

Last edited by weisan; 02-02-2023 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
don't be that sucker that spends an inordinate amount of time and money building the perfect bike and then turn around to list it on the classifieds after three months with less than 500 miles...
Shots fired! Shots fired!

All units; head to the PDX at best speed.

Old 02-02-2023, 09:37 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Shots fired! Shots fired!

All units; head to the PDX at best speed.

Nah, I already raided his garage and got what I want. Too late!

Old 02-04-2023, 08:08 PM

hahaha y'all crack me up! I will slowly tweak the space as I get used to it. Baby on the way means the workbench will also double as diaper change station? Might need to get some good ventilation for that..
Old 02-04-2023, 10:32 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonification View Post
Baby on the way means the workbench will also double as diaper change station? Might need to get some good ventilation for that..
And gobs and gobs of baby wipes. Costco is your friend.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:47 AM

Garage basement organization

We have had great luck with wire shelves and sterilize containers in the basement. Not necessarily bike specific. Recently bought a craftsman tool chest - perfect for bike tools and spares!