Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
that's what i'm doing now, just netflix or stream espn, when i'm on the trainer.
but if i'm being honest, i'm watching something to distract myself from the boredom. at least my 1up trainer is quiet.
Same here. After being on it for about a month I've realized the best way for me currently, is to run it on my iphone to control the resistance changes or do structured workouts but otherwise I don't care for looking at the app on my macbook. I'm much happier watching netflix or a cross race and occasionally glancing down at the phone to look at my power level.

full disclosure; I'm not the most 'techy' person so I'm probably not using it to it's full potential. My plan is to subscribe until the weather gets better then ditch it until next year. If they were smart they'd offer a special price to entice me to do a yearly subscription but I haven't seen that yet afaik.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:18 PM

$15 per month is a small price to pay if it keeps me active in the winter. It's not perfect but I'm a satisfied customer. I use an iPad via Bluetooth from my Kickr.

They need to allow more user flexibility with the worlds and they need to expand them. Both of these I'm sure are in their future. Additionally, they need to do something with the explosive user growth. It's frustrating riding with 8000 of my closest friends in a pack where the avatars are constantly running through each other like ghosts. This needs to be filtered somehow.

It's a very good video game if that's how you imagine it and for $15 I'm pretty happy but I hope they keep working on it to improve and expand it.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
$15 per month is a small price to pay if it keeps me active in the winter. It's not perfect but I'm a satisfied customer. I use an iPad via Bluetooth from my Kickr.

They need to allow more user flexibility with the worlds and they need to expand them. Both of these I'm sure are in their future. Additionally, they need to do something with the explosive user growth. It's frustrating riding with 8000 of my closest friends in a pack where the avatars are constantly running through each other like ghosts. This needs to be filtered somehow.

It's a very good video game if that's how you imagine it and for $15 I'm pretty happy but I hope they keep working on it to improve and expand it.
I agree.
It should have better analytics. Garmin connect analytics were so much better.
They will need to step up their game but I guess it hasn’t hurt their growth yet....

Last edited by HugoBear; 01-21-2019 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Autocorrect lame
Old 01-21-2019, 05:54 PM

are you able to do a virtual 'ride' along a premapped route? does it somehow integrate with google earth? i'm thinking i'd love to ride thru some national parks that i wouldn't actually do in real life. or maybe thru a moscow ghetto.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:07 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Tried it for a month and then went back to TrainerRoad. I wanted to like it, I really tried to like it, but I just like the structure of TrainerRoad on my laptop with the TV streaming something of interest.

I wish you could enter Zwift races for $2.00 each time, then I would keep both platforms. Doesn't mean enough to me to spend money on both each month, so I chose to spend my $15 on TrainerRoad because I know it works for me.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:18 PM
ergottWheels

Curious about Trainer Road. What does it do in workout mode that others don't? What are you looking at on the screen? If you are importing your workouts from Trainingpeaks like I am, what would Trainer Road do different than Zwift?

Sincerely curious.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:41 PM

I did Zwift with a dumb trainer last winter and liked it. This year I upgraded to a smart trainer and tried Zwift on a free trial again. I didn't like it. The climbs with the smart control weren't all that believable since I couldn't really see when I was supposed to be climbing or coasting. The bigger issue is that I workout on my lunch break (I work at home). Twice I went down to start my session and would tell me that Zwift couldn't connect to the internet, when I obviously did not have internet issues. I can't deal with that when I'm on a time crunch.

I then tried a Sufferfest trial and liked that as well. I like the Sufferfest "attitude" and the quality of the workouts is great. When that trial ran out, I started a Trainerroad trial. Even though this is $15/mo like Zwift, I like it so much more. The structure is great, I know exactly what to expect when I go into the workout, and the on-screen encouragement usually helps. There are optional drills like sprints and one leg spinning, and those add a nice variety to long sessions.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:50 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Curious about Trainer Road. What does it do in workout mode that others don't? What are you looking at on the screen? If you are importing your workouts from Trainingpeaks like I am, what would Trainer Road do different than Zwift?

Sincerely curious.
nothing if you are importing your workouts... but if you are not I will say trainer road has more programs than zwift. Also trainer road is $5 less now (if it is still $10 which I definitely think zwift should be still).

I do like zwift better though... I like to ride with other people, keeps me motivated
Old 01-21-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
are you able to do a virtual 'ride' along a premapped route? does it somehow integrate with google earth? i'm thinking i'd love to ride thru some national parks that i wouldn't actually do in real life. or maybe thru a moscow ghetto.

You might want to look at these...(there are others too)... https://veloreality.com/product-category/videos/

Go through the videos here also.
https://tacx.com/product/tacx-software/

These are different programs than zwift but I know veloreality works with your trainer and I think Tacx would too but not positive on the tacx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2019, 07:02 PM

Eh. For indoor work i like Veloreality videos-I've learned to do interval work to them the same way I would outside. I don't need pseudo competition.

If you need prescribed workouts, Trainer Road or Erg Video.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Eh. For indoor work i like Veloreality videos-I've learned to do interval work to them the same way I would outside. I don't need pseudo competition.

If you need prescribed workouts, Trainer Road or Erg Video.
I tried Zwift but didn't like it.
I use and like Trainer Road.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
Over 20,000 zwiftmiles so far. Started when it wasn't uncommon to be the only person riding around the original little virtual island.

If you're the kind of person who likes to chase after KOMs on Strava, there's a good chance you'll find some aspects of Zwift to be motivating.

Yesterday I got home from a cold, windy 100 mile ride. Saw that Stage 6 of a 10 (?) part ride series that I have been doing was about to start on Zwift, so I changed into summer kit and rode for another 1.5 hours inside.
The fastest guy in our neck of the woods does this because hes addicted to the competition and exercise. he will go on a ride with a few of us here in real life and while we are riding hes talking about the zwift races he did that morning, and the ones coming up that night.... and im putting out nearly FTP to keep up with him during his 40 mile recovery ride, haha. im not even that slow for a non racer. hes a beast, and hes love to race his bike, even in his 40s now.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:46 PM

+1 for TrainerRoad

I tried Zwift but I found that if I was really working hard I wasn't paying attention to the screen anyway.

FWIW, the smart trainer was the best cycling purchase I've made. I'm in better shape than Ive ever been because of it.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:02 PM

Interesting. Do you use it independently from an app?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattre View Post

FWIW, the smart trainer was the best cycling purchase I've made. I'm in better shape than Ive ever been because of it.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Interesting. Do you use it independently from an app?
No, I've been using it to follow TrainerRoad`s workout plans. It just makes it so easy to get a workout in regardless of weather or time constraints and the apps keep things interesting enough that I don't get bored like I did on my old trainer.