Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
Not necessarily...

I would NOT do it as a hobby. I don’t know your situation, but I’d either expense it as a schedule c, or put it on as personal use property.

If you go Schedule C, I’d be reticent about showing a loss. Show a little profit, and don’t forget your health insurance now goes on the face of the return, up to profit.
Agreed. Hobbies don’t get to show losses.

But this (the Internet) is not the place to discuss personal situations.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 01-21-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Agreed. Hobbies don’t get to show losses.

But this (the Internet) is not the place to discuss personal situations.
Forget losses. Hobbies no longer get expenses. It’s insane.

If you want help, let me know.

Schedule c or not, I wouldn’t show a loss in most cases.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:10 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post
So you can vote for whether you get screwed from the right or the left? Either way you're screwed.
Choose wisely and vote..either FOR one or against the other but vote..otherwise, non voters have no right to complain..Voting ought to be mandated..otherwise you pay a fine at tax time...
More people didn't vote in 2016 that voted for either 'candidate'..shameful.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:40 AM

I wrote down a lot of notes from this thread as it will be the first year that I do taxes as a business owner. I thought taxes were one of the worst things in life back when it was easy and now I have to do like 10x the work.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREEfool View Post
I wrote down a lot of notes from this thread as it will be the first year that I do taxes as a business owner. I thought taxes were one of the worst things in life back when it was easy and now I have to do like 10x the work.
Pro-tip...

If you have a business, you need a CPA. We’re worth it. Especially this year with depreciation changes, and 199a deductions.

Doing it yourself is a waste of temporal resources...you’re likely taking on more risk, and you’re likely leaving more money on the table than you’re saving doing it yourself.

Last edited by Aaron O; 01-22-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREEfool View Post
As a small business owner, I can't stress enough that you need to hire an excellent tax accountant. As noted above, your time is better spent running the business........tax accountants are incredibly cost effective.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Choose wisely and vote..either FOR one or against the other but vote..otherwise, non voters have no right to complain..Voting ought to be mandated..otherwise you pay a fine at tax time...
well, not mandated, but agree, you should consider it your civic duty and participate.

Not to get OT, but one thing that burns me is that some of the "local" decisions and elections (which can have a big impact in daily life, like school board, rail trail, township stuff) are held during "primary" elections which doesn't allow me to vote under current PA law (you have to be a registered R or D per the folks there, which I refuse to do, for many reasons). grrrr..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
As a small business owner, I can't stress enough that you need to hire an excellent tax accountant. As noted above, your time is better spent running the business........tax accountants are incredibly cost effective.
Fully agree, my wife's a small business owner and our CPA does a great job

Last edited by Davist; 01-22-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
I’m biased...but I wouldn’t hire anyone but a CPA. Small businesses are usually best served by small cpa firms/practices. I wouldn’t hire a non-CPA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
well, not mandated, but agree, you should consider it your civic duty and participate.

Not to get OT, but one thing that burns me is that some of the "local" decisions and elections (which can have a big impact in daily life, like school board, rail trail, township stuff) are held during "primary" elections which doesn't allow me to vote under current PA law (you have to be a registered R or D per the folks there, which I refuse to do, for many reasons). grrrr..

Fully agree, my wife's a small business owner and our CPA does a great job
I’m also in PA, and, to me, you’re not following your own advice by not registering. I register with whatever party gives me more voting influence in that locality.

Last edited by Aaron O; 01-22-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
In some countries (e.g. Brazil) it is mandatory that you vote or they assess an, ,albeit small, fine.

Also, displeasure with either option doesn't mean you can't still vote and express opposition to both options...maybe if more people voted for Gary Johnson or Jill Stein in 2016, the powers that be might just take notice of the people.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I’m biased...but I wouldn’t hire anyone but a CPA. Small businesses are usually best served by small cpa firms/practices. I wouldn’t hire a non-CPA.

I’m also in PA, and, to me, you’re not following your own advice by not registering. I register with whatever party gives me more voting influence in that locality.
To be clear, I'm registered to vote, just not a declared R or D. Why in the world would I endorse a party I don't believe in? Political expediency, as you cite, isn't a good enough reason for me. I do vote in all elections I'm able to, and will continue. The fact that a local election is run concurrently with a primary somehow should preclude me voting my choice UNLESS I register R or D (oddly no other parties were mentioned..) is suppression in my view.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
To be clear, I'm registered to vote, just not a declared R or D. Why in the world would I endorse a party I don't believe in? Political expediency, as you cite, isn't a good enough reason for me. I do vote in all elections I'm able to, and will continue. The fact that a local election is run concurrently with a primary somehow should preclude me voting my choice UNLESS I register R or D (oddly no other parties were mentioned..) is suppression in my view.
I agree with you, and though I am not a lawyer, would be surprised if this survived a legal challenge. Governments, federal to local, cannot discriminate or suppress voting on the basis of political affiliation.

Last edited by Jaybee; 01-22-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Because this is the game. It’s the worst game around, except for all of the others. By not registering, you are choosing not to play your best. This is the game we have, and there are no points awarded for not playing it.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Agreed.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Why would you assume mandated voting for people who don't currently care enough to vote would not make things much worse?

It is already in vogue to make ridiculous comparisons with the 1930s and current populism, i.e. the rabble not voting for those handpicked by the elites.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post
The deplorables in other states should subsidize your mansions.

The limousine liberals' call for everyone to pay their fair share always seems to end right about the time taxes hit the upper crust.

At what point should federal handouts be cut off? $10K? $25K? $50K?

Yeah, except that CA is near the top of the list of per capita Fed tax payers, and near the bottom for Federal dollars coming in for each buck going out. Pretty sure that means the subsidies are going in the other direction.
Closed Thread