Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-01-2019, 07:24 AM

So I just bought a Rawland xSogn from Walmart

Yup. I mean ***? I have been parting out and selling all of my bikes considering I had two huge life changes (a baby and moving to the middle of nowhere). For the past five weeks I have been making a list of parts to build a one-bike does it all rig when I stumbled upon a google advertisement for a Rawland Bike.

I have always wanted to know what low trail bikes feel like and based on what I've read online it is something that would fit my style of riding perfectly. So after my "why the hell is walmart selling a small botique bike manufacture" moment I decided to order one. I mean, they are selling an entire bike cheaper than the price of the frames on the rawland website if I remember correctly.

So this thread will serve as my way of documenting this weird purchase. I will let you guys know what I think of the low trail and answer questions about low trail that I have been unable to find online for myself. Worst case scenario is the bike is a dud and I return it.

My fingers are crossed that you guys don't come back and say that there is a thread hiding on this forum telling everyone to stay away from this too good to be true bike sale.

Edit, here is a short video of her maiden voyage. It was a cold and muddy ride through south eastern South Dakota

https://youtu.be/IadWe738gu4ttps://youtu.be/IadWe738gu4

Last edited by TREEfool; 01-18-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:27 AM
ZhugeLiang

tree pal, look forward to update with your build and ride impressions. This is the link that alerted us to this offer initially.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=231015
Old 01-01-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
tree pal, look forward to update with your build and ride impressions. This is the link that alerted us to this offer initially.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=231015

Thank you for the link!
Old 01-04-2019, 07:03 PM

It arrived. I am truly blown away. When I opened the box it was NOT a knock-off like I was expecting, haha. Aside from spending an hour figuring out a problem with the shifting (a rear deraileur cog had a bent tooth, weird) I set it up in about 8 minutes.

I am not exagerating when I say it is everything that I imagined a low trail bike with fat road tires would be. It felt like I was riding a road boke but the tires are 47mm! The handling is unbelievable. I was also very happy to find that it handles great even without a front load.

I will update with photos and more info soon. I cant believe I bought this bike from walmart for $900!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2019, 08:44 PM

Here it is. The box was insanely huge. It barely fit in my wife's Subaru Outback. I will be taking it on a long gravel ride tomorrow assuming it isnt icy. The brakes leave something to be desired and I am surprised by how annoying it is to shift with a bar end shifter. I am going to try hacking my longpull Gevenalle brakes to accept the sram bar end. Wish me luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190104_162645_resized_1.jpg (97.7 KB, 812 views)
Old 01-04-2019, 08:54 PM
aka RAEKWON

your best upgrade to that bike would be a set of sram hydro brakes. Then you could have proper shifters (I am with you, bar ends suck) and you could have awesome brakes (cable disc brakes suck).

Nice pickup great deal.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:06 PM

Oh and I forgot to mention the epic headbadge. Plus check out the photo of the bent cog. The deraileur was perfectly fine but the cog was clicking so bad it would cause the chain to skip on the cassette.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190104_162653_resized.jpg (56.3 KB, 787 views)
File Type: jpg 20190104_171356_resized.jpg (63.4 KB, 795 views)
Old 01-04-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
your best upgrade to that bike would be a set of sram hydro brakes.
Man I agree with you. Hydraluic brakes (and suspension forks!) are the one thing that I don't know much about so I fear putting them on my bike because of the learning curve. I also had this wierd opinion that hydros would not be good for bikepacking but perhaps this is an irrational belief based on a braking system I am unfamiliar with.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:49 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREEfool View Post
Man I agree with you. Hydraluic brakes (and suspension forks!) are the one thing that I don't know much about so I fear putting them on my bike because of the learning curve. I also had this wierd opinion that hydros would not be good for bikepacking but perhaps this is an irrational belief based on a braking system I am unfamiliar with.
I understand that concern but most bikepacking that is done on mtb has hydros. They are actually not bad aftwr you install and bleed but the break power and modulation is unmatched.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:50 AM

I am really surprised these haven't sold out. I have seen Reddit posts of the Walmart Rawland being legitimate. Been watching it for a while...
Old 01-05-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugee View Post
I am really surprised these haven't sold out. I have seen Reddit posts of the Walmart Rawland being legitimate. Been watching it for a while...

I know! Especially considering the Rawland website was always sold out whenever I visited it over the past few years.

I want to buy a second and use it for replacement parts! Haha. it would probably be cheaper at this price.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I know! Especially considering the Rawland website was always sold out whenever I visited it over the past few years.

I want to buy a second and use it for replacement parts! Haha. it would probably be cheaper at this price.
I'm tempted to buy it. But all my bikes are sort of similar. What size is that frame?
Old 01-05-2019, 02:29 PM

what's the size and weight of the xSogn like? super tempted..
Old 01-05-2019, 03:13 PM
aka RAEKWON

I am going to guess prett high 20s. Heavyish steel, heavier wheels and discs. But I bet the bike doesnt ride its weight / for $900 that is not bad weight for this kind of bike
Old 01-05-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Hydro's are fine. At least the Shimano stuff and probably others. They go together pretty painlessly, install, bleed and forget. Slight learning curve, no worse than learning to deal with cables and housing. You'll learn to like the feel real quick.