Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Yes, but much of sentiment here seems to think aesthetics and technology ended right around that time.

Kinda like how your musical tastes get set in stone when you're 13.
Good thing I turned 13 in 1992, the single greatest year in the history of modern music...

/s

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Yes, but much of sentiment here seems to think aesthetics and technology ended right around that time.
Of course not; it regressed to difficult to set and not so good to shift 11sp campagnolo groupsets. Not to mention external BB and contaminated bearings. Time waits for no one.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:19 PM
commuter racer

My Atlanta will always stay 2002 silver Chorus, My zank CX ( my favorite bike) will eventually get upgraded from the Centaur 2009 ultrashift to a CHorus 11 group which I scored here. I'm only really upgrading for the cassette options as I need lower gears as I age for some reason. When my 2002 Chorus is adjusted It shifts better than my 2015 Record I think. Now I am curious to try 12 speed but it's just way too expensive.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
My Atlanta will always stay 2002 silver Chorus, My zank CX ( my favorite bike) will eventually get upgraded from the Centaur 2009 ultrashift to a CHorus 11 group which I scored here. I'm only really upgrading for the cassette options as I need lower gears as I age for some reason. When my 2002 Chorus is adjusted It shifts better than my 2015 Record I think. Now I am curious to try 12 speed but it's just way too expensive.
I'm curious if you've tried the IRD wide range cassettes for Campy 10. They shift surprisingly well. My wife runs a 12-32 on her road bike and an 11-34 on her everything bike, both with '09 Centaur Ultrashift drivetrains.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:44 PM

"If the goal is to not feel like a hoarder/over-consumer, then don't rationalize the acquisition of something else by getting rid of something. Just get rid of what you don't use and keep/get what you enjoy using."

This resonates
Thanks!
Old 09-12-2018, 03:21 PM

IMHO, the "9 speed era" parts at the top of the Campagnolo range (and Shimano for that matter) were the best parts ever produced when gear selection, function, durability, aesthetics and serviceability are all considered. The 10 speed era parts are very close and replacement parts are more readily available. Save for some vintage bikes, all of mine are Campy 9 or 10 speed. I have never found a reason to move beyond as most of my riding around here occurs in flat to rolling terrain. When I take a trip to hillier terrain, I still feel the luxury of having more gears almost by a factor of two compared to the days when I did some of my best and fastest riding. I can use a 10 speed 39x29 with a simple cassette change and chain length check...that's a 35 inch gear. Unless somebody erects a brick wall across the road, I reckon that will allow me to get over most anything and I still remember how to stand and pedal if needed.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:25 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
I'm curious if you've tried the IRD wide range cassettes for Campy 10. They shift surprisingly well. My wife runs a 12-32 on her road bike and an 11-34 on her everything bike, both with '09 Centaur Ultrashift drivetrains.
No I haven't I'd need a new RD I think as I just have a short cage. In some ways have two 11 speed bikes will be better as I can swap wheels back and forth etc, plus I may eventually get a new zank etc.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
I still remember how to stand and pedal if needed.
A lost art for sure
Old 09-12-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
IMHO, the "9 speed era" parts at the top of the Campagnolo range (and Shimano for that matter) were the best parts ever produced when gear selection, function, durability, aesthetics and serviceability are all considered. The 10 speed era parts are very close and replacement parts are more readily available. Save for some vintage bikes, all of mine are Campy 9 or 10 speed. I have never found a reason to move beyond as most of my riding around here occurs in flat to rolling terrain. When I take a trip to hillier terrain, I still feel the luxury of having more gears almost by a factor of two compared to the days when I did some of my best and fastest riding. I can use a 10 speed 39x29 with a simple cassette change and chain length check...that's a 35 inch gear. Unless somebody erects a brick wall across the road, I reckon that will allow me to get over most anything and I still remember how to stand and pedal if needed.
For mix of beauty and function, it's hard to beat campy alloy 9. Big time plus one (and I don't think the shifting improvement offsets the lesser lifespan). Campy 10 is also pretty darn bad arse, and I sure don't mind its action when I'm using it.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Good thing I turned 13 in 1992, the single greatest year in the history of modern music...

/s

It is now confirmed: You have officially gone 'around the bend'.....
Old 09-12-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Of course not; it regressed to difficult to set and not so good to shift 11sp campagnolo groupsets. Not to mention external BB and contaminated bearings. Time waits for no one.
I couldn't disagree more with this assessment. But ride what you want to ride.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post

/s

This is objectively untrue. Hootie and the Blowfish's landmark album Cracked Rear View -- the greatest album ever recorded -- was released in 1994.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:43 PM
mentholated

"journey to the center of cat butt" came out in 1989.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
It is now confirmed: You have officially gone 'around the bend'.....
1992 - Radiohead Creep hit, and nothing has been the same since..

Though much like Campy, they've continued to innovate, maybe hitting a high point with OK Computer (the Record 10 of albums) and holding just below that right up through Moon Shaped Pool (SR 12 Mech), hitting some polarizing changes in between... Thom Yorke's solo albums are EPS - good, but not as perfect as the original lineup.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
It’s about the ride, not about the brand or image.
Why are you putting foolishness in that youngsters head?