Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2019, 10:37 AM

I think it's good that USAC is monitoring. Big Brother is watching, don't be stupid. I think it works at all levels too. That's what levels are for. I know guys who are cat 4's and will be cat 4's forever. They are simply not good enough to advance but that doesn't bother them one bit. They love the sport, they show up to races and they give it their all. Why should they have to put up with cheaters in their fields? Lets not forget, doping is cheating. Period. There are all kinds of other amateur sports, events and games too. Like poker for example. It would be like showing up to a poker game and your opponent has aces up his sleeves.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:43 AM
Randomhead

I'm a little surprised people are using EPO. Maybe more surprised we don't have masters racers keeling over dead from using too much, like the early days in the pro ranks
Old 01-22-2019, 10:52 AM

I was lining up at a master's crit in Houston a few years ago. They announced there would be testing after the race, top 3 and a random 3 racers, IIRC. About half the field suddenly retired before the gun.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
I was lining up at a master's crit in Houston a few years ago. They announced there would be testing after the race, top 3 and a random 3 racers, IIRC. About half the field suddenly retired before the gun.

You mean the literally just got up and left right off the start line?

From what I understand that doesn't really matter. In theory a USAC guy could ask me to pee in a cup at any time.

If anything that would be a huge heads up.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
You mean the literally just got up and left right off the start line?

From what I understand that doesn't really matter. In theory a USAC guy could ask me to pee in a cup at any time.

If anything that would be a huge heads up.
Yup.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:02 AM

Sonny Crockett and colleague spotted busting the Vuelta Miami dopers house. Stationary trainer clearly in view.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:

Dude that's insane......
Old 01-25-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Dude that's insane......
What's insane is a culture with such messed up values that 40-50-somethings feel they need PEDs to stoke their egos. Same thing here in the northeast. As soon as the NY USA Cycling affiliate announced drug testing, several strong local racers suddenly decided that they really weren't interested in competition anymore. One who I regularly rode with got noticeably slower after drug testing was announced...

Greg
Old 01-25-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
What's insane is a culture with such messed up values that 40-50-somethings feel they need PEDs to stoke their egos. Same thing here in the northeast. As soon as the NY USA Cycling affiliate announced drug testing, several strong local racers suddenly decided that they really weren't interested in competition anymore. One who I regularly rode with got noticeably slower after drug testing was announced...

Greg
I figure at age 54 I've earned the right to be slow!
Old 01-25-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Yup.
LOL wow that is crazy. That's like when the cops put a sign on the highway that there is a drug check point 5 miles down the road but are really waiting at the next exit.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:53 PM

Here is what is crazy, the guy took EPO and came DFL
Another rider banned following analysis of samples taken at Vuelta a Miami was a 48-year-old Raul Diaz from Miami.
He returned a positive sample for EPO.

Results from the race show him listed last in the results. His urine sample was found to contain “dexamethasone and
recombinant erythropoietin (EPO)”.

http://www.granfondoguide.com/Conten...e-epo-cocktail
Old 01-25-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
Here is what is crazy, the guy took EPO and came DFL
And that's why I don't dope - so when I inevitably come DFL, I've got an excuse!
Old 01-25-2019, 01:30 PM

... a culture with such messed up values ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post

Greg
That's the story from the documentary Icarus in a nutshell. The guy there thinks it's insane to dope as a MAMIL, but decides that if he's ever going to taste sweet victory he'd better get serious and start.

He then goes on to discover that doping in elite sport is run by state-level-actors and big-corporations, and that the insanity starts with the old doping the young for glory and profit.

It's not simply an 'ours versus theirs' cultural problem.

It's easy to point out.

But what do we do to fix it?
Old 01-25-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
That's the story from the documentary Icarus in a nutshell. The guy there thinks it's insane to dope as a MAMIL, but decides that if he's ever going to taste sweet victory he'd better get serious and start.

He then goes on to discover that doping in elite sport is run by state-level-actors and big-corporations, and that the insanity starts with the old doping the young for glory and profit.

It's not simply an 'ours versus theirs' cultural problem.

It's easy to point out.

But what do we do to fix it?
I watched Icarus for the first time while riding the trainer this winter. You're certainly correct, doping exists across all facets of humanity. Some dope to stoke their egos, some dope as part of a state-sponsored program to win Olympic medals. The root cause in both cases is the innate human desire to dominate. As to fixing it, I have no clue on the macro level. At the micro level, I prefer honesty and integrity. It's part of my life at home, at work, and at play. I can't fix the entire world, but within my circle of family, co-workers, and friends, I try to the best of my abilities to lead by example and NOT cheat. Maybe that's how you "fix the world?"

Greg
Old 01-25-2019, 01:46 PM

Hmmmmm. Attendance at bike races in general have been way down the last few years. Correlation?