Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2023, 11:27 AM

What is your fav road shoe and why?

just curious what brand and model people like and why? should have stated 3 hole cleat compatible. I live in an area that you can buy or try on exactly one brand and model of road shoe. Shimano rc3's. Local REI carries them. one bike shop has one Lake road shoe in stock and no other bike shop carries any road shoes. seems crazy with about 8 bike shops in a biking town nobody carries road bike shoes. I did try the RC300's from REI but returned them. The 46's were too tight (short and narrow) and the 47's too long. my last pair of road shoes were Sidi's from the early 90's. Looks like I will need to order something so just want to get peoples thoughts on what they like and why.
Old 09-15-2023, 01:07 PM

S-Works 6

S-Works 6.

Fits my foot like it is painted on, perfect heel retention, and as stiff as it gets. Comfortable on the longest rides I’ve ever done, as well.

This reminds me to check eBay again for another pair.
Old 09-15-2023, 01:11 PM

Lake. Cx 402? Got a pair I black and a pair in white and they are comfy for my feet. I’ve owned sidi, fizik, Rapha (giro?). Lakes take the cake as far as fitting my foot well out of the box.
Old 09-15-2023, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadzilla_Jr View Post
S-Works 6.

Fits my foot like it is painted on, perfect heel retention, and as stiff as it gets. Comfortable on the longest rides I’ve ever done, as well.

This reminds me to check eBay again for another pair.
I wore three generations of S-Works and I hated the 6. As you said heel cups are extremely stiff but they are also tall and dug into my ankle bones making them unusable. I now am on my second pair of Gaerne shoes (G.STL) and they are perfect. Also high quality and made in Italy.
Old 09-15-2023, 01:19 PM

Lake in the proper width and cast.

Lake has a few casts and just because the 4xx series appears to be the “best” it may not be the best choice. the 3 series comes in at slightly less $ with a different fit, and the 2xx series is equivalent to most high end shoes and has a slightly different fit again that I find perfect for my foot. Foot discomfort has been a thing of the past for many years now.

I started with lake 4 series and fell in love with them, then tried two series because of the price and found them to be perfect in a half size smaller and different width.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 09-15-2023 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-15-2023, 01:39 PM

I've tried on a bunch of riding shoes. Most of them seem to be of the "European fit" variety, which means super long and narrow. I just can't fit my feet into those.

For me, Specialized shoes have been incredible. Super consistent sizing, so I know that a 45 is going to be comfortable on me throughout the range. They have a nice tight heel but a generous toe box, which to me works just great. And their aftermarket insoles (Body Geometry?) solved a lot of issues I was having.

Plus, I've found that you can often get a discount off the listed price on high-end shoes if you buy them in-store.

I don't even have to think about it any more. Specialized shoes have earned my hard-earned dollar.
Old 09-15-2023, 02:27 PM

Vittoria

I am a big fan of Vittoria shoes for several reasons. They make both narrow and wide shoes and full custom so a good fit is very attainable.

The shoes are very high quality and they are reasonably priced.

The US dist who can be reached by phone from the web site below is very helpful and very competent about cycling shoe issues if you need anything special. Site is: https://vittoriashopus.com/

I have narrow feet and Sidi no longer makes narrow so this is a much better alternative for me and all others.

Worth a call to the dist to talk to them. I have a pair of road shoes and SPDs and both are great and were very reasonably priced vs others. I got the $300 road shoes which are a great value.

My LBS sells them and time to get custom shoes is only a few months so very responsive.

Call them to talk shoes

Alan
Old 09-15-2023, 02:30 PM

What is your fav road shoe and why?

I just bought a pair of Lakes CX242.
I sent in a tracing of my feet to Lake and they recommended the model and size for best fit. They fit great!

Amazing service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2023, 02:49 PM

It's tough for retailers to carry different brands, and carry so much inventory that they would sit on for a long time. Most folks wind up finding a better price point online.

So the retailer has to keep inventory in hopes someone will buy, but most will see what fits best and buy online due to savings. Just my take.

Road shoes are a personal thing and I realize the frustration of not trying them on, which makes this a great thread to get feedback from friends.

On a personal note, while sponsored by Northwave for a time, I couldn't wait to get back to Sidi now that I can.
Old 09-15-2023, 03:01 PM

The Giro Empire SLX has worked well for me. They don't get great reviews for longevity (cracked soles is a thing I've heard of) but for me they have been the most comfortable. I've also gotten on well with Sidi wires and shot 2s. I've wanted to try Lakes for a long time as my dad has and I've tried them on and they feel great. However, I'm not riding road much anymore so my need for more road shoes is non-existent.
Old 09-15-2023, 03:54 PM

Giro fits my foot just right. Giro Imperial would be nice as I have had my current shoe for 4 years. Anything that is normal wide to wide+ won't work.
Old 09-15-2023, 04:39 PM

Since I started riding with cycling shoes in the late 80s, I can't say I have ever really had a pair of shoes that I loved. I had a pair of triathalon shoes from Nike that were relatively comfortable, but my heel didn't stay in them as well as I would have liked. I literally used up a pair of Pearl Izumi 2-bolt off road shoes, and they worked well enough. Something falls off of them every time I strap them on, but they are still going.

I recently got a pair of Shimano S-Phyre RC9 from another Paceliner here and I absolutely love them. A perfect fit, stiff, looks awesome, dual BOA closures and no hot spots—which is a tough one for me. Shoes always seem to be pressuring my foot somewhere and these are like sneakers on my foot. I will definitely buy these again—maybe the XC9s when the Izumis completely fall apart.
Old 09-15-2023, 05:09 PM

Sworks 7, nothing has fit me better and they’ve held up well. I’ve got the Sworks Torch now too but not sure I like the fit as much, but I’ll give it some time.
Old 09-15-2023, 05:45 PM

been riding a pair of Giro Empire for ~6.5 years (44K miles). after using various velcro/BOA types, was prepared to hate the laces, but they basically were a non-issue.

stiff soles, narrow enough for my spaghetti-shaped feet, and have a cool reflective coating (but I never ride at night, so not really a bonus for me).

they're pretty beat up at this point, but are still usable. have a brand-new pair that I scored on sale sitting in the closet, so when it's time for new kicks, I'm all set.
Old 09-15-2023, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
been riding a pair of Giro Empire for ~6.5 years (44K miles). after using various velcro/BOA types, was prepared to hate the laces, but they basically were a non-issue.

stiff soles, narrow enough for my spaghetti-shaped feet, and have a cool reflective coating (but I never ride at night, so not really a bonus for me).

they're pretty beat up at this point, but are still usable. have a brand-new pair that I scored on sale sitting in the closet, so when it's time for new kicks, I'm all set.
I have had two pair of Empires myself, the slx version and hands down the best shoes I have used in 30 years of riding. Like you I have narrow feet and every shoe I have used I would have to tighten the boa dials or velcro straps all the way to get a snug fit. With laces this isn't a problem. Sure it's a little extra time to tie them but once you get them dialed in as far as how tight to tie them they are the best. Great looking shoes too, imo.