Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2018, 04:36 PM

Thanks for expanding my vocabulary. I knew what you were talking about but had never heard the term "brinelling".

Always nice to fix rather than throw away and replace.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsillito View Post
I find it mildly annoying when the handlebars on my fixed gear flop around and the bars knock the top tube. A bit more resistance there might not be a bad thing.
I assume that this happens when the bike is parked (since steering the front wheel that far when riding would result in an instant endo)? In that case, there's already a product - the Rhode Gear Flick Stand:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsillito View Post
Some engineering Ph.D. student needs to make a variable resistance headset, and do some double-blind testing, ha.
Well, there are already commercially available steering dampers, which basically add additional drag to the headset. Here's one:

http://www.hopey.org/

Two common applications for steering dampers are for riding on very rough surfaces (the damper limits how much the front wheel steering can be knocked off center), and to prevent high speed shimmy (this application is more common on motorcylcles).
Old 04-10-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I assume that this happens when the bike is parked (since steering the front wheel that far when riding would result in an instant endo)? In that case, there's already a product - the Rhode Gear Flick Stand:

Well, there are already commercially available steering dampers, which basically add additional drag to the headset. Here's one:

http://www.hopey.org/

Two common applications for steering dampers are for riding on very rough surfaces (the damper limits how much the front wheel steering can be knocked off center), and to prevent high speed shimmy (this application is more common on motorcylcles).
Wow, I've never heard of the dampers, very interesting. I do remember the "flick stands" from back in the day, but have never tried one. The handlebar flopping happens as I'm carrying the bike up and down the stairs with something else in my other hand. Not a big deal, really.

I'd love to see a "handlebar quick-turn endo front flip" with landing on the wheels happen. Surely some extreme mountain biker is working on it.