Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2019, 04:50 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

Open U.P. or U.P.P.E.R. only bike?

Who's made the Open U.P. or U.P.P.E.R. their only drop bar bike?

Anyone done something similar? Regret it later? Did it and never looked back?

Last edited by SpeedyChix; 06-17-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:57 PM

I don't have an OPEN, but I have made my g-road bike (Fuji Jari) my only drop bar bike. This works because 70% of my riding is MTB, 25% mixed terrain rides, 5% or less actual road riding. 0% group road riding. If I were still racing or otherwise participating in regular group road riding, I think I'd still want a racy road machine in the stable. For the road riding I do, this bike is perfectly fine.

This has been my situation for about a year, since my road bike was stolen.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:01 PM

EDIT: I am dumb and trusted someone who told me a wheel was x-12 when it was actually thru bolt.

Last edited by cribbit; 06-17-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:03 PM

I know two individuals who have broken Uppers. One was 145lb. I hear they have been improved, though.

Last edited by joosttx; 06-17-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
What other bikes would the Open need to replace?

How particular are you about having the perfect bike for every kind of ride?

Do you have any bike acquisition habits that would make having just one dropbar bike a laughable proposition? ....this is one of my problems.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 06-17-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I know two individuals who have broken Uppers. One was 145lb. I here they have been improved, though.
That's messed up. How?
At the same weight, I'd be broken before my bikes would be.
However, wheels seem to be easier to kill.

Instagram
Old 06-17-2019, 05:27 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I know two individuals who have broken Uppers. One was 145lb. I hear they have been improved, though.
That's not good news. Any idea where the break occurred on frame? Were they some of the first frames out or more recent ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
What other bikes would the Open need to replace?

How particular are you about having the perfect bike for every kind of ride?

Do you have any bike acquisition habits that would make having just one dropbar bike a laughable proposition? ....this is one of my problems.
I'd be selling the Spectrum and that would be a tough one to let go as it's a super ride. I've become far more flexible about what bike for what ride. Most of my "pavement" riding is solo or in small groups and involves more gravel than pavement. Want to get some longer rides in on an Open as the Spectrum is very comfortable for all day rides. Weather has bee wet here this season so not much mtb riding as usual. I still prefer to ride off road.

Just been thinking about simplifying things a bit but this is likely not the bike to do that with (aka KEEP the Spectrum) and move a rarely used mtb.

I'm working on suppressing the acquisition habit ; ) Working toward being settled with the bikes.

Last edited by SpeedyChix; 06-17-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
That's not good news. Any idea where the break occurred on frame? Were they some of the first frames out or more recent ones?

I'd be selling the Spectrum and that would be a tough one to let go as it's a super ride. I've become far more flexible about what bike for what ride. Most of my "pavement" riding is solo or in small groups and involves more gravel than pavement. Want to get some longer rides in on an Open as the Spectrum is very comfortable for all day rides. Weather has bee wet here this season so not much mtb riding as usual. I still prefer to ride off road. Just been thinking about simplifying things a bit but this might not be the bike to do that with (aka KEEP the Spectrum) and move a rarely used mtb.

I'm working on suppressing the acquisition habit ; ) Working toward being settled with the bikes.
These were the first Uppers. I have seen 3 broken. Seat tube, down tube and chainstay as I recall.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:43 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
Reading thru their website, they use X12 thru axles. Ewwww. For a bike that seems to have thought out so many things that seems... iffy.
hmmm, I have an OPEN. Never had a problem with those TAs. Never heard anyone have problems with those TAs. They have been excellent. super light, work as predicted. Its a long metal rod that threads into something else.

Quote:
Who's made the Open U.P. or U.P.P.E.R. their only drop bar bike?

You would not regret it at all. The OPEN is fantastic. Great on gravel, great on pavement. Its the perfect 1 bike only bike. I love mine and if I had to, I would get rid of everything else and just use the OPEN. Would be totally fine with it.

I would personally go for the UP over the UPPER... But to me the extra money is not worth for a few less grams and more fragility. Also I don't like black bikes at all and the ready to paint is going to then cost you another $$$ painting it.

I also really like the WI.DE, however since its 1x only, not as good on the road. It is probably fine to some but I don't want 1x and specially not on the road (I could do it on gravel if bike was a dedicated graveler.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:

I'd be selling the Spectrum and that would be a tough one to let go as it's a super ride. I've become far more flexible about what bike for what ride. Most of my "pavement" riding is solo or in small groups and involves more gravel than pavement. Want to get some longer rides in on an Open as the Spectrum is very comfortable for all day rides. Weather has bee wet here this season so not much mtb riding as usual. I still prefer to ride off road. Just been thinking about simplifying things a bit but this might not be the bike to do that with (aka KEEP the Spectrum) and move a rarely used mtb.

Sell the Spectrum for an UPPER? You're drunk.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Agreed
Old 06-17-2019, 06:01 PM

EDIT: I am still dumb.

Last edited by cribbit; 06-17-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Absolutely agree. I think gravel bikes are usable, but not optimum for road riding, at least for me. Long low geometry is more comfortable and efficient on the road. The more upright geometry of the gravel bike works best offroad.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:13 PM
hoolered

I'm not an OPEN owner but I did own an allroad with disc, drop bars, and a Gunnar Rroadie together at one point.
Just recently I sold the Gunnar to downsize a little bit, reducing overlap. I have two wheelsets (650b x 47mm, 700c x 38mm) and haven't looked back.
My wake up call was being taken on a "mostly road ride" and complaining about being on a road bike (28mm, rim brakes), questioning the route, etc. when we got to rutted fire roads. It made me feel gross like some sort of complainy roadie guy. I have no regrets selling the Gunnar.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:27 PM
ZhugeLiang