Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2019, 09:11 AM

I have wide feet and used to ride regular SIDIs. Definitely too narrow, but steered away from the Mega when it was time to get new shoes because it seemed like too much volume.

I switched to Giro cycling shoes a few years ago and their toe box is wonderful and wide enough for me, even in the regular, non-High Volume version. I have models with velcro and ratchet straps, but I've heard from friends though that the lace-up versions (e.g. the Empire) run narrower, so try before you buy.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:15 AM

In addition to being wide, my feet have very high arches. I used SIdi Mega in a size 47 for years. However, starting in the fall, I started being bothered by what was eventually diagnosed as metatarsalgia. I tried some Fizik shoes based on misguided advice. Those only made things worse. By January I was in agony if I tried a Zwift session. The solution for me was to switch to Lake 237 wide in a size 48 (and to start wearing Brooks Ghost wide running shoes to work). I have both the road and trail versions, which seem to be identical. The Lakes made a huge difference to me and I am now able to ride 4+ hours without any problem.

As side note: I did as much online research as I could before getting the Lakes. There is a shoe review series by 'spinshoeguru' on YouTube which seemed ok. He claims that Sidi Mega are built on the same sole as the normal Sidis, but only have more material to accommodate or wrap around a wider forefoot.

Jan G.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:28 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
>For any given size the Specialized/S-Works shoes will still be wider than the SIDI Mega.

I have both and the Mega's are certainly wider.

Weird, I've had the exact opposite experience with two totally different pairs of each.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:35 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Weird, I've had the exact opposite experience with two totally different pairs of each.
Opposite of which of the two statements?

I found the sidi megas to feel quite a bit wider than the specialized wides (not S-works, though) That said, the 'feel' of a shoe is influenced a bit by the volume as well as the footbed. So, it is entirely possible that my wide high instep foot just perceived the sidis to be a better fit because there is more material, not because the footbed is actually wider.

Last edited by MattTuck; 06-17-2019 at 12:40 PM. Reason: apparently I can't think or type
Old 06-17-2019, 12:38 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Opposite of which of the two statements?
Sorry, I was the person who originally wrote "For any given size the Specialized/S-Works shoes will still be wider than the SIDI Mega"
and so my experience has been the opposite of steveandbarb1's
"I have both and the Mega's are certainly wider."
Old 06-17-2019, 04:04 PM

My widish feet are happy in Giros.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:52 PM

i've been thru a few and from my experience after having ridden each of these for at least a year:

Shimano wide is consistently wide
Sidi Mega is hit or miss. 43 mega in the giau was far wider than 43 mega in genius 6.6 and just noticably wider than 43 mega in dragon.
Specialized wide is just meh wide, more like what 'normal' should be

tbh, i don't get the love for lake wide shoes. even their wide sizes never felt wide to me. i keep reading about them (mostly here on paceline) so i foolishly try another shoe every couple years with the same result. perhaps they're just wider in the wrong places for my feet.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:10 PM

Lake 241 Wide

Here is a link to a very good review of two Lake shoes. I purchased the 241 wide and they are the most comfortable cycling shoes I have owned. The review explains how Lake shoes are actually wider than other brands that make a wide as well as explains the different shoe models and lasts available on their different models. A good read on Lake shoes.
https://biketestreviews.com/lake-sho...-mini-reviews/
Old 06-17-2019, 10:58 PM
shimergo

Thanks all for the feedback. Sounds like I need to try on some wide width Shimano, Specialized, and Sidi (Mega).

I tried on a couple different versions of Giro's "wide" offerings (HV) years back, but it seems like they also increase the width in the heel, which for me makes for a sloppier fit.

I actually still have a pair of well worn Sidi Dominator 5 (non Mega) that I use for errands and they fit fine at this point since the leather has broken in and stretched out.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrew View Post
Thanks all for the feedback. Sounds like I need to try on some wide width Shimano, Specialized, and Sidi (Mega).

I tried on a couple different versions of Giro's "wide" offerings (HV) years back, but it seems like they also increase the width in the heel, which for me makes for a sloppier fit.

I actually still have a pair of well worn Sidi Dominator 5 (non Mega) that I use for errands and they fit fine at this point since the leather has broken in and stretched out.
Don't try Shimano, the heel is slippery.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:58 AM

Try Luck Shoes

You could always go for a custom or semi custom fit from Luck shoes out of Spain.

I got a pair last year and I am really thrilled with them. I have wider than normal feet and most cycling shoes have been too narrow for me. I Tried Luck because they offer semi-custom shoes at reasonable prices (less than the cost of the highest end Sidi, Bont or Giro shoes)

Check them out! https://luck-bike.es/en/
Old 06-18-2019, 08:21 PM

My personal experience is that many “wide” shoes are high volume but don’t always have an especially wider sole. For me, most “wide” shoes still end up either compressing my foot width-wise or I can feel the edge of the sole under the edge of my foot. Lake’s are the exception. As a result, for me Lake in wide fit much better than either Bont wide or Sidi Mega. Lake’s in extra wide are actually too wide for me, but this is mostly too much flab in the upper rather than anything having to do with the sole.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKeller View Post
You could always go for a custom or semi custom fit from Luck shoes out of Spain.

I got a pair last year and I am really thrilled with them. I have wider than normal feet and most cycling shoes have been too narrow for me. I Tried Luck because they offer semi-custom shoes at reasonable prices (less than the cost of the highest end Sidi, Bont or Giro shoes)

Check them out! https://luck-bike.es/en/
+1 on Luck shoes. I bought some that were customized for me and I've been quite satisfied. Here's my old post from a few months back:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...10#post2467610
Old 06-20-2019, 10:10 AM
bourbon!

I might have to pull the trigger on some Luck's. I have been looking at Lake and Bont but Everytime I read a review, it puts me off. I'm worried they won't fit because I'm super picky.

Luck seems to be the best option so far.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2019, 10:15 AM

luck looks like has a really nice tool to check out the sizing... wonder what it says with me. Wish had the 400 bucks they ask tho :/