Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 05-19-2019, 01:15 AM

Battaglin Power+ -- Rehomed

Rehomed after a couple hundred miles to some coastal CA environs..

------------------

Figure I'll give this one it's own thread since I know it's going to get at least 500mi under my legs before the inevitable happens

Picked it up NIB off Bici-Sonora who ordered it during the winter special and found himself in an overstocked situation (go buy his BG, it's dope). He ordered it in effectively the XXL size, which isn't officially offered in the geo sheet for the Power+. It's pretty standard road geometry though. 73/73 angles. 71 drop. 21 HT. 45 rake. 59 TT. 41 CS. That easily puts it in my sweetspot for fit. And since I found myself needing a bike to take on a long road trip (more on that later), and dug the style and ethos of Battaglin, I couldn't pass it up.

Since I'm planning to put my Kirk to Chorus 12 when it comes out, I figured putting Record 12 on this one made sense - and prices were good enough to give it a try. Glad I did too. It's incredible. Shifting is outstanding and I love the ergonomics of the new, umm, Ergos.

I still had some Fizik bits around from my clearout, and some robust Record/DT wheels to use that I knew the 12spd cassette would play nicely on, so this is pretty much a leftovers build other than the new group...though I did luck into another Airone 00 on Amazon Warehouse in like new condition for $120, so that's a new piece on there. They seem to always have one when I'm looking. I should probably stop testing that and just hold on to this one. Don't know why, but it works for my sit bones.

Anyway, simple and enjoyable build. Frame alignment and finish is top notch. It's interesting that they chose such a huge DT for it - the Alliance I had was also Spirit HSS, but it had the shaped DT and TT, where this one only has the shaped TT. As Hilltopper noted, it is a bit odd that the BB is tig'd when the rest is fillet'd - but that's a detail you only notice when looking for it. The engraving on the HT is definitely cool, and I'm a fan of the graphics and paint.

I only have one ride on it so far. Nothing groundbreaking to report - it just gives a good, solid, predictable feel out on the road - the way a quality race bike is meant to.. It reminds me a lot of how the Speedvagen I had felt. Do I like the fork and stiff front end? Not particularly. I've grown fond of steel up front and that just is what it is. The fork feels good for carbon, just not what I'm loving these days. Others might love it. The back end feels firm, not harsh. It definitely likes to be ridden at max power - spinning up hills doesn't feel as rewarding as muscling up them on this one. That's okay though - a different feel can be a good thing every now and then.

I'm off on a long road trip down to AZ - and staying in the south end of Phoenix for a week-ish before heading back. I'm hoping to get in a fair amount of riding down there, and maybe some along the way (if I can talk my wife into letting me ride along next to the car or something). The trip was really the impetus for the bike. I didn't want to take my Kirk, didn't want to rent, and probably could have made do with my BMC-MC, but riding a road bike on the road is just more enjoyable.

So, pics from the desert soon.

Last edited by Clean39T; 07-08-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:34 AM

A couple more pics:

Last edited by Clean39T; 05-19-2019 at 01:40 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:49 AM

Beautiful steed. Great to hear real-life ride notes, as I've been curious about this bike ever since Bill Strickland declared it the greatest thing since sliced bread. (Or maybe it was the Lolo)
Old 05-19-2019, 12:40 PM

Sweet bike enjoy the ride!

How do you like campy 12? If you had a chance to try it yet other than around the block that is.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Sweet bike enjoy the ride!

How do you like campy 12? If you had a chance to try it yet other than around the block that is.
It's exceptionally smooth. How will it feel in 500mi? 5000mi? Hard to say... Planning to stick with it and find out though

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2019, 04:49 PM
ZhugeLiang

Beautiful shots!

Modern-day version of the MXL.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:05 PM

Did you pay extra for the kindness?
Old 05-19-2019, 06:30 PM

Sweet ride and pics. Enjoy the 500 miles!
Old 05-20-2019, 11:51 AM

Beautiful. And with Campa 12v... congratulations.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:11 PM

thats rill sweet
Old 05-20-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
thats rill sweet
If we end up overnighting in Grants Pass or Ashland on the way to/from AZ, I'll let you know...would love to do the hillclimb up Mt. Ashland - or another recommended jaunt if I somehow have the time...
Old 05-20-2019, 12:17 PM

when you in town?

Im leaving for 2 weeks this Saturday to France for some cooking and riding.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
when you in town?

Im leaving for 2 weeks this Saturday to France for some cooking and riding.
Would just be passing through maybe tonight, but still deciding on which route to take - might go SLC direction, or inside-passage through Reno/LV..

Looking forward to pics of your French travels too!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by Clean39T; 05-20-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:20 PM
commuter racer

THat looks awesome.. I'm on the fence about buying record 12.. Better than 11?
Old 05-20-2019, 05:02 PM

Love the build Clean! It looks great with the record 12 and everything else looks very well balanced as usual. I need to find some time to try mine out soon.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk