Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeman View Post
Pickle Juice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetroc View Post
As Shoeman said above - drink pickle juice!
Specifically dill pickle juice.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I get cramps in my legs fairly easily at age 65, especially at night, and mostly feet and lower legs, outside front of shin. I keep track of my hydration carefully, and that's a good start. I also have a banana daily, and eat pumpkin seeds, arugula, and other food sources of minerals. I looked through the threads here on cramps and magnesium and calcium combined turn up as a daily supplement recommendation. Has that helped anyone here, and if so, what product/brand do you use?
Thanks!
At age fifty i developed this problem too. Never ever had cramps before, not even with long intense rides. Mag helped some. BUT real problem for me turned out to be an iron deficiency that had been there for several years. Its worth a few bucks for a complete look, do the full iron panel (binding capacity, iron storage, and ferritin levels) not just the simple blood levels of iron.
I found a new doc that looks a little deeper at these nagging little issues. Addressing the iron issue ended night time cramps and a host of other symptoms that had been assigned to that "you're getting older" garbage heap of health issues. It is worth digging into. good luck (fyi: iron deficiency looks much like hypo-thyroidism on the list of symptoms)
Old 05-10-2019, 01:54 PM

NUUN Active works for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Which Nuun product?
Thanks
NUUN Active worked for me

[IMG]61A4A86E-D167-4AC4-8C7F-92B0AFF51783 by Stephen BOBYN, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]6B1E747C-3DF8-42B8-9BD9-B265AF31AB13 by Stephen BOBYN, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 05-10-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
- muscular cramping is not very well researched
How are you basing this statement, please?
Old 05-10-2019, 05:51 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
How are you basing this statement, please?
I believe it's an accurate statement. Or if it is well-researched, in plenty of cases the research has come up empty.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20350820

"Causes

Overuse of a muscle, dehydration, muscle strain or simply holding a position for a prolonged period can cause a muscle cramp. In many cases, however, the cause isn't known."
Old 05-11-2019, 07:22 AM

Pickles!

Yes must be Brine Pickles, no vinegar.... Works!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikingshearer View Post
Specifically dill pickle juice.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:13 AM

Unhappy

I've been getting the randomly occurring randomly located leg cramps for about 9 years now (turn 61 soon). I have had the complete blood, and neurological work up. Thought it might be my back and had an MRI. I tried all manner of supplements, stretching, and nothing works. I think the severity is less since being 99% vegan and I no longer fear going to sleep. The pain can be excruciating. Why are they only from the toes to the groin? (my wife is pretty smart about this stuff being a super star PT OCS DPT etc and there is no known cause or remedy. She is motivated to solve the problem because my cramps also disturb her sleep )
Old 05-11-2019, 08:30 AM

Leg cramps - meh. If anyone could come up with a cure for getting up at night due to the grapefruit size of my prostate, now THAT would be something ....HAR!
Old 05-11-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Leg cramps - meh. If anyone could come up with a cure for getting up at night due to the grapefruit size of my prostate, now THAT would be something ....HAR!
Flomax might work for you it helped me. You can get the Gland removed but then you'ii most likely lose other functions as well
Old 05-11-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeman View Post
Flomax might work for you it helped me. You can get the Gland removed but then you'ii most likely lose other functions as well
WHOA! Nay! Nay! Nuh-uh! No Can Do! Not Gon Happen! No Way Jose! NumNumNum.......Aaaaaand..........Thank-you!
Old 05-11-2019, 08:03 PM

With my apologies, it is Mother's Day so I seem to have grown my Mom's pointed and wagging finger....

Quote:
Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
:Thought it might be my back and had an MRI. I tried all manner of supplements, stretching, and nothing works. (my wife is pretty smart about this stuff being a super star PT OCS DPT etc and there is no known cause or remedy. She is motivated to solve the problem because my cramps also disturb her sleep )
My take away from the quote above and Tommassini's about figuring out an iron deficiency speak loudly to me.

My cramps which were so intense I couldn't stand, I mean screaming pain were, unlike CTSailer's experience, turns out to have been some damage that minimally rerouted a nerve which I had done to myself at some point. A bunch of time with PT cured me up.

Tommassini's point about the doctor looking deeply and finding iron deficiency is important.

We are all different, but with a good professional looking deeply we can often find solutions that beat just popping more pills.

Ok, My Mom's gone now so I will put away her finger pointing now.

Last edited by htwoopup; 05-11-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I believe it's an accurate statement. Or if it is well-researched, in plenty of cases the research has come up empty.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20350820

"Causes

Overuse of a muscle, dehydration, muscle strain or simply holding a position for a prolonged period can cause a muscle cramp. In many cases, however, the cause isn't known."
I do not see how an inability to diagnose the cause of an individual's cramp contributes something about the accuracy of that statement.

I did search 'muscle cramps' google scholar just now, however.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:43 PM

Smile

I’ve been struggling with debilitating cramps for about 15 years. I’m 54 YO. Originally weren’t really cycling related and typically I only got them in the winter after a hard day of Nordic skiing or backcountry skiing (ie skinning uphill). Almost always at night and sometimes lasting up to 10 minutes. Pain level.... hard to say.... I think I have a pretty high pain threshold and I’ve almost been in tears several times. Generally will start in one leg (adductor) and as soon as I try to get out of bed the cramps start in the other leg probably 90% of the time. I’ve tried Mg & K supplements and I can’t say neither have really helped. Mg is a good laxative though..... The only thing that seems to work for me is Nuun Active and regular stretching of the adductor muscles in my legs. I’ll use Nuun while I’m cycling or in winter when I’m skiing and really try to stretch after a particularly hard day. Might have to try the pickle juice or Tabasco as recommended earlier.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:32 AM

After reading up on supplements for this issue, I'm going to try Mag R&R (saltwrap.com, also available on Amazon). Yesterday I did a reasonably hard 40 miles, stayed hydrated, and took a Hammer electrolyte tab mid-ride, then stopped for a piece of cinnamon cake five miles before the end. A second electrolyte tab when I got home and more water. No cramps last night. I wish I knew what the key factors are.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:23 AM
Yours truly

I think walking as an exercise if possible may help.