Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2019, 05:26 PM

OT- Local FM Radio: Internet or OTA?

There is a local FM radio broadcast I can't live without. Currently got it hooked up over the air with an antenna on the roof receiving the analog signal and it's okay quality but sometimes it's less than desirable. I think on occasion I get that signal bounce. I've been looking at HD digital OTA receivers and internet receivers. I guess I have to choose between them because there doesn't appear to be a reasonably priced receiver that does both. I would like do the OTA just to avoid tapping my internet service but then there's also a lot of other stuff on the internet.

I prefer not to spend a lot of money and I'm not really an audiophile. I want to run the signal to an existing stereo system. Do either sources provide improved quality? Any recommendations?
Old 06-18-2019, 05:40 PM

It's out of favor now with iPhones->Bluetooth speakers, but I still love my old Logitech Squeezebox Touch internet DAC that I run through my old stereo.

Edit: there are a few used available on eBay for about $120

Last edited by Tony T; 06-18-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:23 PM

I've got a Logitech Squeezebox at my bike workbench -- works and sounds great for the application
Old 06-18-2019, 09:01 PM

What kind of outside antenna are you using?

If you're only listening to that one station, you want a YAGI antenna, which is directional. It will provide gain to the signal in the direction it points, and eliminate that stray signal bounce. The more elements on the yagi antenna, the higher the gain. VHF TV antennas can suffice; not UHF.

If you want to REALLY jazz things up, put a rotor on the antenna and you can point it in any direction, to improve signals coming from elsewhere.

I installed a rotor and yagi antenna on a roof mounted tripod. Cables came in to the attic and down the wall where the stereo was. I installed a wall plate to connect the wiring for the rotor and the antenna cable. I was able to pick up a strong signal in NYC, almost 90 miles away.

There are very few HD radio receivers out there, and even fewer for home stereo application. You also have to be sure your fave station broadcasts in HD.

Here's a good primer about receiving FM, and associated antennas.

And don't forget to ground the antenna!

For what it's worth, I'm an FM radio technician.

Last edited by Peter P.; 06-18-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:11 PM

Antenna I'm currently using is a Winegard (?) with two 4' rods in a horizontal cross. It's about 10 ft above the single-storey roof. It is pointed at a station about 20 miles away on the other side of the valley not very high up. Apparently the station does broadcast a digital HD signal.

Is improved analog reception worth pursuing?
Old 06-18-2019, 09:15 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

A few years ago my sister got a Logitech Squeezebox for my parents. Actually, for my father, so he can listen to classical music. It sounds great and must be super-simple to use, because he hasn't had any trouble with it. (He's so tech averse I'm 99.99999% sure that in his entire life I don't think he's ever done a single keystroke on a computer or smart phone.)
Old 06-18-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
There is a local FM radio broadcast I can't live without. Currently got it hooked up over the air with an antenna on the roof receiving the analog signal and it's okay quality but sometimes it's less than desirable. I think on occasion I get that signal bounce. I've been looking at HD digital OTA receivers and internet receivers. I guess I have to choose between them because there doesn't appear to be a reasonably priced receiver that does both. I would like do the OTA just to avoid tapping my internet service but then there's also a lot of other stuff on the internet.

I prefer not to spend a lot of money and I'm not really an audiophile. I want to run the signal to an existing stereo system. Do either sources provide improved quality? Any recommendations?
Can’t you stream it on your phone? Virtually all radio stations live stream. You can then use a Bluetooth adapter to connect your phone to your stereo system, or pair with a BT speaker, etc.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:58 PM

Yeah that's just it, I'm not a big cell / smartphone guy. This in spite of having worked next door to Apple for almost 20 years. I'm the guy that rides the bike without anything electronic on it.

I would prefer to just switch on the radio and not tie up my tablet or what have you.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:24 PM

What station is it that you like so much?
Old 06-18-2019, 10:50 PM

It's the San Francisco classical station. Like I said I'm not an audiophile but broadcast classical music needs to be pretty clean to be enjoyable.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:05 PM

KDFC? Seems like the easiest way would be to use one of the various internet streams. Should sound better than OTA.

https://www.kdfc.com/listen/how-to-listen/

Unless you're on dialup or other extremely limited ISP...
Old 06-19-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
Is improved analog reception worth pursuing?
Is THIS the antenna you have?

If so, that's an OMNI-directional antenna, meaning it receives signals from all directions equally well.

They work well if you want to receive signals from multiple stations in different locations.

But if you want to receive a particular station that's either far away or lower powered, or your location stinks, then you want a yagi antenna.

The antenna will look like THIS, with horizontal elements, and the frequency band listed in the specs will be 88-108MHz.

Remember; the more elements (horizontal rods), the better it will pull in signals from the direction of interest. Point it in the direction of your preferred station (shorter elements toward the station, longer elements in the opposite direction).

HERE'S a list of FM antennas possibly available. You want a yagi as mentioned above. Higher pricing mostly buys you greater durability; stronger materials better to withstand ice and wind. The only exception is, the higher the gain, the more elements and hence the higher cost.

HERE'S an excellent primer explaining FM antennas.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:28 AM

I think we've got it!

I purchased a 4 element directional antenna and installed it this morning. So far I think it's brilliant. The upper ranges of piano used to break up and now they sound pretty darn good to my ear. The quiet bits sound more quiet.
In all the time I've lived here I can't recall all the times I've installed t antennas on one wall then the other then the garage then the attic. I recently cut the cable for TV and so am now a big fan of OTA.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by Hindmost; 06-25-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:36 PM

I realize you found a solution you are happy with but I wanted to chime in anyway in case others are looking for a different solution. I had really poor reception to a Tivoli radio in my kitchen. A friend gave me his old Amazon echo and now I can just say "Alexa play KXCI" and it'll source the station from whatever source it needs to play the station. Sounds pretty decent, you can tweak the EQ etc. You can also use it for useful kitchen stuff like setting timers. I'm sure I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:40 PM

FWIW, I have zero issues listening to the two local stations I care to using my Sonos speaker and the Tune In service.