Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2019, 03:44 PM

Turn your hand over, from your normal carrying position, when gripping and carrying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2019, 05:13 PM

sounds right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcovelo View Post
So, I read a scientific paper describing the so-called Tyler Twist exercise to address tennis elbow. The exercise involves eccentric contraction--that is, elongating the muscle while under load (vs shorting the muscle while under load, which is what we normally do when exercising).

Paper available here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2971639/

The general idea seems to be that without exercise the tendon tissue does not seem to repair. however, ordinary concentric contraction stresses the tendon/muscle too much.

Theraband makes a product--the power bar or flex bar?--in three or four degree of torque specifically for this purpose.

You load the power bar using the non-injured arm, and allow the torque built up in the bar to lengthen the muscles of the injured arm while you slowly resist the untwisting.

Also note: this is in ADDITION to standard PT.

I had very good results with this treatment. You can do it yourself. Read the paper. Watch some videos (but be sure the pay attention, I saw more then on that were not demonstrating eccentric contraction, even though that is what they claimed they were doing). Be consistent with your treatment. Try to be patient. Some of this stuff takes considerable time to heal, especially in masters athletes.

hope you heal quickly.
-marco
while i personally used cross friction ice massage and reduced activity in the past, I have seen similar "twist" thing: in the gym, on a free-weight bench press, a guy had a bar with a short rope attached to the bar and the other end a weight, we would wind up the rope on the bar (both hands) and then use his affected arm, letting the wrist go from full extension (wrist cocked up, backward) into full flexion (curling forward/down, toward the palm side of wrist). After doing his sets/reps, the rope had unwound to where the weight touched the ground. It worked for him and I know several other guys tried it--I forgot all about that until I saw this post. So if you don't want to buy a flexbar thing, and have any sort of rack or span you can place a dowel across with rope and weight; then that is another way to do eccentrics. Eccentric lowering was the key to my Achilles injury recovery--I can say in that case the critical thing was doing the eccentric range of motion VERY slowly. I wasted over a year doing the reps to fast--had to lower over 7-10 seconds for it to work, and it did within a few weeks.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:50 PM

It will take forever to go away. I'm pretty sure mine stemmed from riding with my arms too straight. Not necessarily locked but maybe sometimes. It was painful to pull a bottle from the cage. I forced a new habit on myself to ride with bent elbows. And then, all of a sudden, 3 years or so passes, and, "Hey! My elbow doesn't hurt anymore,".
Old 06-18-2019, 10:29 PM

This: https://armaid.com/collections/front...roducts/armaid

Try it. Seriously.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:25 AM

I did the Tyler Twist with a green Theraband Flexbar. After 8 weeks, the symptoms are nearly gone.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:13 AM

My condolences. I got tennis elbow from sleeping funny and it took about six months to go away. Hurt like a mofo. I used one of those ACE forearm wraps like in the first picture. The bag was full of air, not "gloop" as stated.

It was inexpensive and it helped.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
while i personally used cross friction ice massage and reduced activity in the past, I have seen similar "twist" thing: in the gym, on a free-weight bench press, a guy had a bar with a short rope attached to the bar and the other end a weight, we would wind up the rope on the bar (both hands) and then use his affected arm, letting the wrist go from full extension (wrist cocked up, backward) into full flexion (curling forward/down, toward the palm side of wrist). After doing his sets/reps, the rope had unwound to where the weight touched the ground. It worked for him and I know several other guys tried it--I forgot all about that until I saw this post. So if you don't want to buy a flexbar thing, and have any sort of rack or span you can place a dowel across with rope and weight; then that is another way to do eccentrics. Eccentric lowering was the key to my Achilles injury recovery--I can say in that case the critical thing was doing the eccentric range of motion VERY slowly. I wasted over a year doing the reps to fast--had to lower over 7-10 seconds for it to work, and it did within a few weeks.
You post brought back memories of the rope/bar/weight plate that was at my high school weight room. Used to use that thing every now and then during the summer when I'd hit the weights. After using that thing (along with arm day) our dumb asses would go play basketball. Even trying to shoot a free throw on arm day was an effort in futility as we put on an airball clinic with the first few shots.

Anyways, I would agree that this would definitely help with tennis elbow. I'm actually dealing with some currently too because of beer league softball (diving slide and bruised my elbow...along with taking batting practice in the cages for way too many swings). Going on the 2nd week of soreness and just ordered one of those "Tyler Twist" bars off of Amazon just before lunchtime. That way I can randomly do those exercises while sitting in my office during work.