Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-12-2019, 04:52 PM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
After reading up on supplements for this issue, I'm going to try Mag R&R (saltwrap.com, also available on Amazon). Yesterday I did a reasonably hard 40 miles, stayed hydrated, and took a Hammer electrolyte tab mid-ride, then stopped for a piece of cinnamon cake five miles before the end. A second electrolyte tab when I got home and more water. No cramps last night. I wish I knew what the key factors are.
I'd say the cinnamon cake.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:47 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
How are you basing this statement, please?
*i* don't at all, which is why i wrote it was the summary of an article on the matter. Quick googling found numerous other articles saying essentially the same thing. *the conditions* under which spasms are more likely to occur are known, as during/after physical exercise, in pregnancy, people with certain diseases (Liver, kidney..). The root cause of what goes wrong that causes the nervous system to send the faulty signal to the muscle is not known.

The commonly recommended cures, getting hydrated, supplementing Calcium and Magnesium, are based on what these conditions above have in common. Whether its correlation or cause is not proven by any means.

Magnesia seems to help some people, although not all. I'm a bit paranoid about all those artificial nutrition products, a person living on a first-world diet should have everything the body needs (and it will actually tell you if it doesn't). Those products are big business, and the Marketeers are very quick with promises.

The gist of the deeper studies on the subject talk more about getting your fitness-level up, do passive stretching, work on muscular dysbalances. (Matches my own experience: as a young lad, i drank very little while riding. I did have cramps, but they vanished as i trained more frequently.

Update: There is a study which says the susceptibility for cramping could be lowered by artifially inducing cramps. No idea if this is used yet.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0094910

Studies:
Magnesium for skeletal muscle cramps
https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr....pub2/abstract (Cochrane)

"It is unlikely that magnesium supplementation provides clinically meaningful cramp prophylaxis to older adults experiencing skeletal muscle cramps. In contrast, for those experiencing pregnancy‐associated rest cramps the literature is conflicting and further research in this patient population is needed. We found no randomized controlled trials evaluating magnesium for exercise‐associated muscle cramps or disease state‐associated muscle cramps (for example amyotrophic lateral sclerosis/motor neuron disease)."

Muscle Cramping in Athletes—Risk Factors, Clinical Assessment, and Management
https://www.sportsmed.theclinics.com...090-7/abstract

This study found no correlation between EAMC and dehydration

Last edited by martl; 05-13-2019 at 03:41 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:41 PM

Cramps (mostly nighttime) - Magnesium supplements?

I’ve been having quite bad cramps/muscle spasms in my leg in about what seems like the same spot as the OP mostly at night. Initially thought it was a hydration thing which just lead me to peeing more frequently as a result of drinking more water. I think that actually made things worse as it seemed like I was flushing minerals etc out of my system by doing so. Since then I went down the path of magnesium supplements and have come across some that work really well. I use 200 mg of elemental magnesium biglycinate at bed time (magnesium citrate will make you **** your pants) Knocks me out and eliminates 90% of my leg cramps. Stretching and yoga have also been a huge help.

I’ve also come to the realization that I’m most likely dealing with some sort of leaky gut type issue which prevents my body from properly absorbing what I eat. From what I’ve read there’s not a lot of real science about the whole leaky gut thing but I’ve eliminated gluten and alcohol and made great improvements in my overall health (was causing a tremendous amount of brain fog and fatigue). Just my $0.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2019, 06:52 PM

The tip about the type of magnesium compound was very helpful. I bought Mag R&R capsules on Amazon, 90 capsules for $40. Any evening that I feel so much as a twinge I take one before going to bed and it has worked (even though they say the serving size is 3 capsules). The capsules have some other supplements that are supposed to be symbiotic with the magnesium compound. Thanks all for the help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdwon View Post
I’ve been having quite bad cramps/muscle spasms in my leg in about what seems like the same spot as the OP mostly at night. Initially thought it was a hydration thing which just lead me to peeing more frequently as a result of drinking more water. I think that actually made things worse as it seemed like I was flushing minerals etc out of my system by doing so. Since then I went down the path of magnesium supplements and have come across some that work really well. I use 200 mg of elemental magnesium biglycinate at bed time (magnesium citrate will make you **** your pants) Knocks me out and eliminates 90% of my leg cramps. Stretching and yoga have also been a huge help.

I’ve also come to the realization that I’m most likely dealing with some sort of leaky gut type issue which prevents my body from properly absorbing what I eat. From what I’ve read there’s not a lot of real science about the whole leaky gut thing but I’ve eliminated gluten and alcohol and made great improvements in my overall health (was causing a tremendous amount of brain fog and fatigue). Just my $0.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk