Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2018, 01:03 PM
Sensuous Man

DIY Carbon Frame Refinishing: Tips? Pics?

I'd like to give my carbon Scott Addict R3 a facelift and am considering trying the "Spray Bike" product line, as it states that it is safe for carbon surfaces.

https://us.spray.bike/

Anybody here ever undertake a DIY home spray job on their frameset?
How'd it go?
The product description states that they go on matte...but various clearcoats are available. Did you use one?

Have to pics to share of your refinished frame?

Please share your experiences!
Old 11-05-2018, 01:37 PM
Administrator

check out the squid website for some ideas and inspiration. i think those bikes are mostly aluminum, but the principals should be pretty much the same...

https://www.squidbikes.com/
Old 11-05-2018, 02:22 PM
Sensuous Man

Interesting! I didn't know there was a correlation between Squid and SprayBike.

Good pointers on there! Thanks.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:46 PM

I've used SprayMax over the years on a few different projects. You can get it through 66autocolor usually takes 2 cans per frame but held up super and looks great vs any other airsol options I've seen out there. As with any project prep is key, no matter the paint you use..

Would like to give the SprayBike stuff a shot some day
Old 11-06-2018, 02:26 PM

I stripped and repainted my Look 585 about 2 years ago. I also used SprayMax 2k Clear in a can over automotive paint in a can from an online source that claimed to match paint codes. The results were decent but it was a ton of work to prep and to get it glossy without a ton of orange peel.

Thread here: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...&highlight=585

I've been tempted to try Spraybike on my carbon CX bike. Would also love to hear how it holds up to serious use. I've also considered just hacking it with cans from Home Depot and possibly doing a clear over the top.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:31 PM

When I painted my daughter's balance bike, I had really good luck with Montana Gold Spray paint.

What made it apply well is that it is low pressure and wide nozzles so it was easy to lay down a few fine coats and not have it drip. I would use it again and would add a clear topcoat. She has yet to really use her bike, so I don't know how durable it is.

The standard primer I used on the other had needed lots of sanding to get rid of drips and runs and did not get into every nook.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:57 PM
Sensuous Man

What grit of sandpaper did you guys use to prep your frames prior to paint application?
Old 11-06-2018, 03:27 PM

Depends a lot of how deep you want to go, if you need to get rid off everything all the way down to the carbon you have to use like 400 grit... or just paint disolver thing gel... if you just want to clear the surface, just 500 or 600 wet sand paper will do it just fine.

No idea about that paint, need to buy a can to know exactly what type of paint it is, what I like is the amount of colors. I have refinished a couple of things for people here but what I used is polyurethane car clear coat. Dont like out of the can stuff... spraymax2k is polyurethane... what this bikecan thing is no clue.

Saying this because is not just go and paint over other finish, worse case scenario the paint can start bubbling and then is game over, time to repaint the whole thing. Polyurethane is pretty much safe and you can paint over anything with it, and just from cars you know will last a very long time, specially because it will block UV-light...

FOr the record, no idea about this paint, but the paint i would not use the clear a bike is rustoleum POS from home depot. No matter what they promess you, I would not advice to clear any carbon or steel with it.

Preparation, you sand then shoot the paint on top, 2 coats or so, sand the imperfections and then polish the heck out of it.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:52 AM
Sensuous Man

Okay I’m finally getting around to my winter project...in June...

I am going to attempt a facelift on my carbon Scott Addict R3, which currently sports its factory clear over paint/decals that can only be described as a silver and white “killer tribal”, but with the word SCOTT appearing on the frame set no fewer than 694 times.

My plan is to first go over the frame with 600 grit sandpaper to give the gloss coat a little bit of “tooth” for the respray to adhere to. Then I will clean with alcohol to remove all dust, etc.

Squid Bikes / Spray.Bike recommends using a primer on raw carbon.
My frameset is not technically “raw”.

Is use of a primer necessary over the prepped (sanded) factory clear?

If so, any suggestions on type/brand?
Old 06-18-2019, 12:31 PM

pm sent

--
Old 06-18-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devotion View Post
with the word SCOTT appearing on the frame set no fewer than 694 times.

This quote made me chuckle. Let me guess-- 2010-11 era? There was a period of a couple years where the big brands collectively lost their minds. It's like the designers let a 4 yr old loose with the sticker sheet. My buddy has a bike that we refer to as the "Trek Trek Trek". Not this one, but a similar level (I think there were even two under the downtube just in case you forgot):
Old 06-18-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delish View Post
I stripped and repainted my Look 585 about 2 years ago. I also used SprayMax 2k Clear in a can over automotive paint in a can from an online source that claimed to match paint codes. The results were decent but it was a ton of work to prep and to get it glossy without a ton of orange peel.

Thread here: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...&highlight=585

I've been tempted to try Spraybike on my carbon CX bike. Would also love to hear how it holds up to serious use. I've also considered just hacking it with cans from Home Depot and possibly doing a clear over the top.
I've done exactly this and agree 100%, it's held up well but definitely has orangepeel in spots. Sanding and prep is key, and having a good "booth" to spray in that lacks too much junk in the air and wind can be hard to find. You definitely want to protect your lungs and not spray this in your basement if you don't want your entire house to be toxic smelling for a long period of time.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:17 PM

Another option that may be worth considering is wrapping, especially if you don't want to redo the entire frame. Can save prep and finish time, and may preserve your warranty since repainting carbon usually voids it.

Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW5ox-1dXlM
Old 06-18-2019, 02:55 PM

I've used spray.bike over primer and not over primer. Either way it's not very durable, but the issue tends to be not that it's not adhering to the frame, but that the paint itself is very soft and scuffs/scratches very easily. In your situation, I wouldn't bother with a primer, unless you're going for a high-build primer to try to smooth other imperfections you haven't sanded out.