Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2019, 10:57 AM

Tariffs on cycling goods

Another thread on this subject started and was shut down last August when tariffs were still just a threat. Now that they've been applied to many goods we import from China, does anyone have knowledge of which parts of the bicycle supply chain are impacted? Will the Ibis Hakka MX I'm looking at be priced 25% higher later this year?

I'm not trying to start a political discussion on the merits or disadvantages of tariffs; I'm just looking for real information on how the new tariffs will impact prices of bicycle frames and components manufactured in China.

Thanks
Old 06-16-2019, 02:13 PM
Proud Grandpa

From White Industries
Quote:
TARIFF surcharge

In your recent orders you may have noticed there is a now a line item that says "TARIFF SURCHARGE: USA COMMODITY INCREASE DUE TO RECENTLY IMPOSED TARIFFS."

The surcharge is due to severe increases in material and bearing cost. Despite using US made aluminum, steel, and titanium, we have still seen an increase of well over 28% in raw material cost alone. For this reason we have had to start attaching a 4% surcharge on all orders. Rather than increasing our prices, the tariff surcharge is listed making it easy for us to adjust or hopefully eliminate this surcharge when/if the tariff situation stabilizes. Thank you for understanding.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:02 PM

They may raise the prices a little eventually, but to date China has been absorbing the tariffs by lowering their yuan value. So no one should be charging you more, saying it's due to the tariffs. If they do, they are mostly likely ripping you off.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:40 PM

That announcement from White is complete nonsense. Material cost up TWENTY EIGHT PERCENT and they decide to tack on a 4% "surcharge" due to tariffs?

Must be some potent pot smoke circulating in the HVAC these days.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
That announcement from White is complete nonsense. Material cost up TWENTY EIGHT PERCENT and they decide to tack on a 4% "surcharge" due to tariffs?

Must be some potent pot smoke circulating in the HVAC these days.

Makes sense to me. Raw material cost is only one part of the total cost of a finished good. A manufacturer will look at the total cost of their product before determining a price increase to cover higher material costs. Or at least that’s what my managers expect me to do😉.

Greg
Old 06-16-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
They may raise the prices a little eventually, but to date China has been absorbing the tariffs by lowering their yuan value. So no one should be charging you more, saying it's due to the tariffs. If they do, they are mostly likely ripping you off.
Do you have a source for that? I’d like to know more.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:24 PM

Sure. Here are links to 3 articles, and within these articles are comments and/or information pertaining to the yuan devaluation offsetting some of the tariffs. Given China's GDP is heavily based on exports, they will take a beating if the trade war continues, which I don't think it will. We represent about 20% of their economy and sooner or later, they will have to cry uncle and compromise on the negotiations.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-tar...article_inline

https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-i...s&page=1&pos=6

https://www.wsj.com/articles/chinas-...s&page=1&pos=1
Old 06-17-2019, 11:06 PM

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...r?srnd=premium

"Giant Manufacturing Co. saw the writing on the wall early on. The world’s biggest bicycle maker started moving production of U.S.-bound orders out of its China facilities to its home base in Taiwan as soon as it heard Donald Trump threaten tariff action in September.

“When Trump announced the plan of 25% tariffs, we took it seriously,” Chairwoman Bonnie Tu said in an interview at Giant’s Taichung City headquarters in Taiwan. “We started moving before he shut his mouth.”"
Old 06-18-2019, 10:34 AM

More specifically-

Who knows the country of manufacture of these frames?

Ibis Hakka MX- China

Salsa Warbird-_____

Niner RLT RDO-_____

Santa Cruz Stigmata-_____

Norco Search-_____

Specialized Diverge-_____
Old 06-18-2019, 12:07 PM

Salsa and Santa Cruz are China, but I haven't seen them adjust prices for the tariff yet.

Electra jacked up the retail/cost of their Townie (Chinese made, but best selling bike in the US) by $40 in response to the tariffs and we were told it might go up more.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:27 PM
Princess Sweat

You know, you could just call the MFG or a dealer.

Re: price increases. The cost of moving production from China to Taiwan added 6-10% to the cost of our goods last year.

For the first year my company and our assembly factory agreed to split the price increase and it would be negotiated from that point on. Other assembly factories are doing the same thing or simply moving their factories to Vietnam (that was already in the pipeline though).

XDS makes about 1.5million bikes a year for a lot of brands we know. They should have a Vietnam/Cambodia factory up and running by year's end.

The parts? Most of them will still come from China.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
Who knows the country of manufacture of these frames?

Ibis Hakka MX- China

Salsa Warbird-_____

Niner RLT RDO-_____

Santa Cruz Stigmata-_____

Norco Search-_____

Specialized Diverge-_____
My 2019 Diverge Comp (carbon) was made in Taiwan.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:49 PM
Vendor

Niner RLT 9's / the aluminium ones / are made in Vietnam.... not sure where the carbon ones are made, but first guess would be the same place...

Last edited by rain dogs; 06-18-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:49 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
Do you have a source for that? I’d like to know more.
"When the United States levies a tariff on something, it is the US importer who pays the tariff, not the foreign exporter. A tariff is a border tax on the buyer, not the seller—tariffs make it more expensive for a buyer to import a good into the country."

https://www.ipi.org/ipi_issues/detail/who-pays-tariffs