Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2009, 03:02 PM

Delaware Water Gap Area

Anyone have experience riding out in this area? I'm newish to the north Jersey area, need to get out and away this weekend, and it's not too far from home. I figure I can throw the fly rod at dusk and dawn, ride during the day, and find some local spot for a burger and a beer. Any insight or ride/fish recommendations greatly appreciated.

Last edited by EddieBirdsell; 04-14-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieBirdsell
Anyone have experience riding out in this area? I'm newish to the north Jersey area, need to get out and away this weekend, and it's not too far away. I figure I can thrown the fly rod at dusk and dawn, ride during the day, and find some local spot for a burger and a beer. Any insight or ride/fish recommendations greatly appreciated.
I've ridden through the area a few times. A couple of times on an organized century (the Gap Gallup), once on a tour, and once on a ride a few friends put together. Its a beautiful area. I don't remember the road names (although something like Cherry Valley Road comes to mind, running parallel to Blue Mountain on the north side). Find some area bike clubs and see what sorts of rides they have listed. The Gap Gallup is run by the Lehigh Valley club - I'm sure you can do a search and find something from them. I can't give you any specifics, but a definite thumbs up recommendation to ride in that area.

-Ray
Old 04-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

I grew up in Wayne NJ (well, perhaps "grew up" isn't the right term). I spent a lot of time heading out in the direction of West Milford or Greenwood lake, looping back via Orange county NY and then across Skyline Drive. I can't help much with the water gap area as I've only been lost there a few times and don't know any of the roads ('cept Rt 80). I am thinking about a training trip back to NJ to ride the old stomping grounds if you're interested.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:38 PM

Don't miss Millbrook Village.

http://www.nps.gov/dewa/planyourvisi...1BikeRoads.pdf

http://www.njskylands.com/hsmillbrookvillage.htm (scroll down)
Old 04-14-2009, 03:44 PM

PA Randonneurs ride through and around this area a bit.

Water Gap 300K

Take a look at the cue sheet and map at the link above, it might give you some ideas for cycling routes in the area.

If you like long tough hilly rides you might want to come out on May 2 for the 300K (or the 200K version)
Old 04-14-2009, 03:48 PM

check out bikely.com

Delaware Search
Old 04-14-2009, 05:54 PM

Wow, awesome, thanks to all.

Ti Designs, you let me know when.

Anyone know where to get decent food and a good beer in the area?
Old 04-15-2009, 06:58 AM

the central bucks county bicycle club offers many rides the highlight being their fall "covered bridge ride" (website below) which is a little south. it's been many many years, but if i remember correctly, river road (rte32?) leaves the delaware water gap and runs south along the pennsylvania side of the delaware river and canal. very senic however the road is narrow with lots of w/e sight seeing traffic. don't know if i would be brave enough to ride it alone.

http://www.cbbikeclub.org/
Old 04-15-2009, 09:13 AM

The NJ DOT has a few nice rides on their website. I haven't tried this one yet, but it is in the Water Gap area:

http://www.nj.gov/transportation/com.../oldminerd.pdf

For beer, you should seek out the Ship Inn in Milford, NJ. The brew some fairly tasty english style ales, at least one on handpump. Unfortunately, the food is English style too.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl
The NJ DOT has a few nice rides on their website. I haven't tried this one yet, but it is in the Water Gap area:

http://www.nj.gov/transportation/com.../oldminerd.pdf

For beer, you should seek out the Ship Inn in Milford, NJ. The brew some fairly tasty english style ales, at least one on handpump. Unfortunately, the food is English style too.
Thanks for the additional info and links. Riding looks to be very nice, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

jemoryl: Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely check it out. As I said, "decent" food and "good" beer was the goal. I think this should fit the bill. Mmm, hand pump cask ale...
Old 04-16-2009, 12:15 PM

It's been a long time since I road the area. We used to camp in Hope, NJ, a few miles east of DWG, just to ride the area for the weekends. One memorable road was Shades of Death Road, a narrow lane lined with huge trees, at the time. Was a few miles long. Generally, great riding in the area.

I googeled the road and came up with this: http://www.angelfire.com/nj/OutcastsHomePage/SOD.html

Travel at your own risk. Baaawwaaaaaaaaa!
Old 04-17-2009, 07:58 PM

Funny you should mention Shades of Death: I just returned from a 56 mile solo ride in that area and did almost the entire length of SOD. Legs still tingling from exploring the hills north of Blairstown. Nice riding in that area, especially on a sunny Friday afternoon before drivers get out of work.
Old 05-24-2022, 09:17 AM

Reviving this thread as I’ll be in the area next weekend. Particularly looking for gravel and dirt roads to avoid the memorial day weekend drivers.

Any more recent resources/routes?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:23 AM

Great info here - subscribing.
I'm planning to ride from NYC to the Poconos this summer and would appreciate any feedback on routing. Thanks!
Old 05-24-2022, 11:06 AM

I think you go a bit more north until you are in the Upper Delaware Scenic and Recreational Area. You probably have a little better fishing, and more roads on both sides of the Delaware River in NY and Pa.