Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2022, 12:52 PM

https://teamzealios.com/collections/sunscreen

25% off site-wide for Memorial Day.

Endorsed by Ted King and many endurance sports athletes.

I have hairy forearms, so I'm moving to sun-sleeves but will be using Zealios on my neck, ears, and face going forward.

My previous go-to was this: https://allgoodproducts.com/shop/sun...n-lotion-3-oz/

Works great also and isn't that bad to rub in - except when it's cold out, like is often the case in Oregon (start the ride at 40-deg and cloudy, end it at 75-deg and full sun) this time of year.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:57 PM

Any feedback on real-world performance of Zealios with regard to white residue? That's been the thing keeping me off of the mineral-based sunscreens as I don't want deal with the residue that inevitably ends up on my jersey and shorts (and doesn't wash off). They claim there's no residue, but claims and reality often don't line up.

Also, any insight into real-world differences between the SPF 45 and SPF 50 (reef safe) versions?
Old 05-27-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap_az View Post
Any feedback on real-world performance of Zealios with regard to white residue? That's been the thing keeping me off of the mineral-based sunscreens as I don't want deal with the residue that inevitably ends up on my jersey and shorts (and doesn't wash off). They claim there's no residue, but claims and reality often don't line up.

Also, any insight into real-world differences between the SPF 45 and SPF 50 (reef safe) versions?
I’ve always read anything over 30 ? Is not worth it.
Old 05-27-2022, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I’ve always read anything over 30 ? Is not worth it.
Largely true. SPF is a measure of relative time to sun burn - for example, if one's bare skin would get sunburned in 10 minutes under high intensity sunshine, then wearing a SPF 6 sunscreen would increase the time to sunburn to about 69 minutes ( = 6 x 10 minutes). By the time you reach an SPF of 30+, the sunscreen will have worn off or been sweated out before you reach the theoretical exposure time anyway, so you don't really gain the increased exposure time suggested by the SPF.

Also note that sunscreens don't block all wavelengths of UV equally, so even if a high SPF sunscreen increase exposure time fully to the UV frequencies that most commonly cause sunburn, then you'd still have been exposed to a lot of UV rays at other frequencies, and sun damage can still occur.
Old 05-27-2022, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Also never use chemical in Caribbean waters, Hawaii (banned) or wherever there are coral reefs.
This. But elsewhere (everywhere) as well. A timely article.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...ble-sunscreen/
Old 05-27-2022, 05:05 PM

Early detection by getting screened yearly by a dermatolgist is prudent as unfortunately, for many of us the damage was done in the past. Definitely minimize current damage, I like the Neutrogena 55 SPF product. When it goes on sale at Costco I stock up.
Old 05-27-2022, 05:06 PM

will turn 70 this wkend and can count the number of times I've used sunscreen on one hand.

SS wasn't a thing when I was growing up so didn't wear it and spent entire summers shirtless TRYING to get a killer tan.

as an adult, it doesn't seem like a good thing to slather chemicals over your body. anyone remember when most SS had PABA (para-amino benzoic acid) as an ingredient...? that special ingredient was later shown to cause damage to DNA...yay!

I visit the pool 5-6 days a week for 2-3 hours each time. watching the SS addicts is interesting...people stand at the edge of the water, spray themselves (most of which never reaches their skin and drifts out over the water) and then immediately jump in. amazing how they believe that crap is instantly absorbed and doesn't wash off...guess it would be way too much trouble to apply it at home or in the dressing room.

the clouds of SS being applied have a nauseating odor and creates a really nice scum line around the pool in short order.

it is incredible how many most moms line their brood up and spray them down, even directly in their faces...really? what can go wrong with that...?
Old 05-27-2022, 05:42 PM

All Terrain and Badger have been my go to over the years. Usually my face, neck, and ears only since I try to cover myself everywhere else with clothing. I find the child formulas to be way less agitating to my eyes when I sweat. Some of the sunscreen is so bad when you look into it, I can understand not wanting to use it. But if you spend a few hours out in the direct sun where I live, you’ll regret it. I don’t care how your leather like 70 year old non sunscreen skin handles the sun…you’ll fry out here!
Old 05-27-2022, 05:43 PM
Deconditioned!

Wifey is a Dermatologist/Moh's surgeon.

Yours truly is not allowed anywhere near a bike without being thoroughly coated in goop. I don't like how it feels on my skin...but skin cancer is much much much worse.

We use EltaMD. They have a formulation that is mainly zinc, minimal/no chemicals to be absorbed. Aint' cheap. But, you don't want my wife coming at you with a scalpel either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sun.JPG (10.2 KB, 190 views)
Old 05-27-2022, 06:14 PM
DELETE ACCNT

I'm in awe of how ignorant people are sometimes.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
I'm in awe of how ignorant people are sometimes.
+1; insightful
Old 05-27-2022, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Wifey is a Dermatologist/Moh's surgeon.

Yours truly is not allowed anywhere near a bike without being thoroughly coated in goop. I don't like how it feels on my skin...but skin cancer is much much much worse.

We use EltaMD. They have a formulation that is mainly zinc, minimal/no chemicals to be absorbed. Aint' cheap. But, you don't want my wife coming at you with a scalpel either.

30.00+ for 2oz, must be marketed by Silca.... Great that works, but can't we buy 4oz for under 10.00 and actually use the product and not skimp...
Old 05-27-2022, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
30.00+ for 2oz, must be marketed by Silca.... Great that works, but can't we buy 4oz for under 10.00 and actually use the product and not skimp...
For those not so well heeled, it’s so easy to make your own with a simple recipe of quality ingredients. We’ve been doing this for years. The face version we’ve dialed into almost no white hue for daily use and a heavier one for outdoor activities and then a body version that is definitely white-ish but it works quite well.

We purchased a one pound bag in 2012 of Zinc oxide for about 70 bucks and are still using it after countless containers of lotions.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I also feel like slathering chemicals on my skin is not a great solution. What's getting absorbed?

I wear hats all the time, shades for the eyes, use arm & leg sun sleeves, have sun gator for around the neck which can be pulled up for face and back of head coverage as well. It's all light weight so I generally carry it with me hiking, riding, etc... I just treat it like layering clothes, add or subtract as needed.

W.
take a look at Rubber Ducky sunscreen. It is mineral based and edible.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
take a look at Rubber Ducky sunscreen. It is mineral based and edible.
Very interesting. Reasonably priced and good availability. How do you like it on very hot days under strenuous activity? Thanks!

Greg