Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
This is the hardest thing for me. I'm ALWAYS hungry later in the evening - and when looking at my calorie count, I have room to take something in.. usually that ends up being unsweetened soy-milk and high-fiber cereal - a couple hundred calories. Helps me sleep, so maybe its not so bad. Then again, eating at 10p is not in anyone's book as being a good thing, unless you're in the middle of stage race or hard training block and are trying to maximize your carb uptake. Maybe I need to eat more at lunch and dinner? Afternoon snack?
That's a lot better than two pints of Talenti Gelato. I think the idea is that your body is not resting fully if it is working to digest. I dont know where the four hours came from. It would not take that long to digest a small amount of easily digested food.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:16 PM

In case anyone here works at Talenti, I'm all in for buying age-defying gelato, filled with HGH, EPO, some 'roids (either at the cow level or post-production) and some ibuprofen to keep down the swelling.

Vanilla chocolate chip, pistachio and mint chip are my preferred flavors.

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2022, 03:36 PM

At times those containers seem to multiply like tribbles around here.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
This is the hardest thing for me. I'm ALWAYS hungry later in the evening
Same here. I need to not eat so much later in the day, no matter how good the calories are.

I can give up cheese, no problem. But I make my own yogurt and want all of that good gut bacteria.

I grow most of my own vegetables in season, and many of the rest come from local organic farms. Even today with temps between 15 and 35F i can harvest lettuce from the cold frame. Lean red meat, chicken, various seafood. So most of my calories are "good".

I think that carbs are one of my problems. Decades ago when I stopped doing triathlons I kept eating like I was still training, plus I got a desk job. Double whammy. I need to cut out the healthy crackers and eat nuts or just nothing - no snacks, at least not carb snacks. Maybe more apple or something like that.

Eating before bed is the second big problem.

Working on those two should bring the total calorie count down.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:57 PM

Weight loss

1. I need motivation/inspiration. So I plan on a major mountain race this summer. I will never finish without dropping 25 pounds. If I lose the weight, I might finish.

2. Have to have willpower. If my blood sugar goes too low I am a goner. Temptations are too much. So it is fruit which gives me just enough to keep the brain going to provide needed discipline.

3. I weigh myself daily. I know the numbers will vary 2-3 pounds 'naturally.' Hydration, that days activities all factor in. I keep the long view in mind and watches the week's general trend.

4. I added two days a week of killer HIIT work, cross training to go along with 6 hours on rollers of easier stuff.
The HIIT stuff really revs my metabolism. I do repeats on a 190 step staircase.

5. I think a lot of weight loss depends on what you were eating before. And my before was an embarrassment. I am optimistic.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:38 PM

Yes, absolutely. He was talking in terms of weight loss specifically. He wants me to be vegan (which I am sometimes!) but noted that he could prescribe a vegan diet that would bring on diabetes quickly if he wanted to, so its all about regulation and specific circumstances. He certainly wasnt saying not to exercise - more that it weight loss is my primary goal (which it isnt, as I would rather be chubby with a healthy heart than skinny with a weak heart) then diet will conquer it more directly than exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post

But this presupposes that fat loss is the only benefit of movement (exercise) It’s not. There’s cardiovascular function, increased bone density, increased flexibility and proprioception, etc

Put another way: if person “A” chain-smoked (which is a known appetite suppressant) rarely exercised and ate nothing but alfalfa sprouts and lettuce and was quite thin and person “B” has a little muddle-aged spread (the proverbial “20lbs to lose”), but exercised consistently, person “B” would be significantly healthier overall.

These are extremes, granted. I’m just trying to illustrate a larger point. No pun intended.
Old 01-04-2022, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Would really appreciate if you could report back on your experience with Noom.. my understanding is that it is a form of cognitive behavioral therapy targeted at your relationship with food - does that sound right?
I'm on Day 2 of the free trial of Noom. Will it work? Absolutely. I've seen my wife's results and how it has changed her habits. Will it work for me? Maybe. It's like $110 for 4 months according to the goal I set, and while I spent double that on a drivetrain upgrade yesterday, for some reason this app seems expensive. But if I can hit that goal in 4 months I guarantee it'll do more for my performance than those new shifty bits will!

Essentially Noom trains you to eat categorized foods (green, yellow, and red). A certain ratio of each based on their caloric density. 100 calories of grapes will fill you up more than 100 calories of raisins. The water content is what you're after. So it helps ID those foods and guides you to healthy choices. Nachos and beer are still acceptable every now and then!

The app is well designed and easy to use. I like the reminders. You have to invest at least 5 minutes a day in learning to get what you want from it. So in addition to the cost, you have to invest time. But no diet foods, no fasting, no swearing off of indulgent foods. Let me know if you want a referral link, it saves you like 20% off and I get some sort of deal out of it too.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
I'm on Day 2 of the free trial of Noom. Will it work? Absolutely. I've seen my wife's results and how it has changed her habits. Will it work for me? Maybe. It's like $110 for 4 months according to the goal I set, and while I spent double that on a drivetrain upgrade yesterday, for some reason this app seems expensive. But if I can hit that goal in 4 months I guarantee it'll do more for my performance than those new shifty bits will!

Essentially Noom trains you to eat categorized foods (green, yellow, and red). A certain ratio of each based on their caloric density. 100 calories of grapes will fill you up more than 100 calories of raisins. The water content is what you're after. So it helps ID those foods and guides you to healthy choices. Nachos and beer are still acceptable every now and then!

The app is well designed and easy to use. I like the reminders. You have to invest at least 5 minutes a day in learning to get what you want from it. So in addition to the cost, you have to invest time. But no diet foods, no fasting, no swearing off of indulgent foods. Let me know if you want a referral link, it saves you like 20% off and I get some sort of deal out of it too.
I signed up for the free 2-week NOOM trial out of curiosity. After listening to 10 minutes of their rah rah, I felt like shooting myself and canceled my subscription. Not for me. Why am I canceling -- one example...They award you these noomcoins when you complete the daily trifecta of weighing yourself, logging your meals and tapping "complete" after your last meal of the day. Took me back to the time my mother kept a star chart on the fridge to get me to brush my teeth. Having said that, if you are truly interested in trying it, I suggest signing up and then canceling within the 2 weeks -- before they allow you to cancel, they offer you a reduced rate at $19/month vs the $43/month price I was going to pay after the free trial was over.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:56 AM

Noom

I started answering all their stupid questions and after 5 minutes, I might have been 20% done. I thought I would try it. Done. No thank you.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronk View Post
I signed up for the free 2-week NOOM trial out of curiosity. After listening to 10 minutes of their rah rah, I felt like shooting myself and canceled my subscription. Not for me. Why am I canceling -- one example...They award you these noomcoins when you complete the daily trifecta of weighing yourself, logging your meals and tapping "complete" after your last meal of the day. Took me back to the time my mother kept a star chart on the fridge to get me to brush my teeth. Having said that, if you are truly interested in trying it, I suggest signing up and then canceling within the 2 weeks -- before they allow you to cancel, they offer you a reduced rate at $19/month vs the $43/month price I was going to pay after the free trial was over.
Great post. That’s pretty damn funny. What can you purchase with the “Noomcoins?” More “Noommerch?”

Here’s a (perhaps) depressing reality: long-term, “diets” don’t work. There’s ample evidence around that. We’re not hard-wired for negation. “Adjusting your eating habits” is a much better alternative.

Move more and avoid overly processed foods.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:26 AM

I've found that in order to lose weight I need to eat less food.

For anyone struggling with losing weight, try eating less. It sucks but it works. Skipping breakfast and not eating right before bed (AKA intermittent fasting) is a good way to eat less. If you can't make it to lunch then eat an early lunch and try to make it to dinner, or have a very small snack to get to lunch.

Obviously the first thing anyone should do to lose weight is to cut way back on alcohol. If you don't drink and are seriously overweight then you are definitely eating WAY too much food.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:44 AM

I lost 30 pounds last year and I only had to give up one thing; pleasure.

Restricting calories is not fun. If you cannot get your head wrapped around that then your efforts will fail.

I removed alcohol and desserts from my diet, and maintained my normal athletic activity of 7000 annual cycling miles, some Nordic skiing and a lot of walking. I do this anyway, but unloading those rubbish calories was the solution. Going to bed hungry also works.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
I lost 30 pounds last year and I only had to give up one thing; pleasure.

Restricting calories is not fun. If you cannot get your head wrapped around that then your efforts will fail.

I removed alcohol and desserts from my diet, and maintained my normal athletic activity of 7000 annual cycling miles, some Nordic skiing and a lot of walking. I do this anyway, but unloading those rubbish calories was the solution. Going to bed hungry also works.
As cyclists, we take pleasure in suffering.. the key is to frame this specific suffering as a means to an end. And then revel in it.

That said, once you get where you are going, you have to find a way to make it sustainable.

If I got back to eating like a guy who weighs 195-lbs (and used to weigh 240-lbs at one point) when I get down to 170-lbs, I won't be there for long.

That's where you transition from dieting to establishing a new lifestyle.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:40 PM

So far, Noom has showed me how much stress affected my eating habits. I like the reminders and lessons. I don't see it as a long term weight loss plan, I see it as a means to reach my target weight and stay there, so there will be some target caloric intake goal to maintain my new weight.

I'm sure it's not for everyone, but I brown bag my lunch and truly enjoy oatmeal for breakfast. I usually get home with 500ish calories remaining for the day. Last night we had a curry cauliflower soup with chicken by using a recipe on the website. It was good, and just right for an evening meal.

I let myself go for too long in the past 18 months. I'm trying to regain fitness and lose weight at the same time. Time will tell how much reduced caloric intake will impact that.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I let myself go for too long in the past 18 months. I'm trying to regain fitness and lose weight at the same time. Time will tell how much reduced caloric intake will impact that.
Keep volume low and intensity high IMO