Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2022, 10:54 AM

I'm in. Hoping for better results this year (i.e. keep the weight off). Gonna try the IF thing again and lay off the fried food and massively sugary foods. Think I'll also do the calorie counting thing.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:58 AM

I'm fat. Fatter than I was when I was merely chubby. 2021 didn't help but poor decisions factor in as well. My wife and I are doing NOOM to lose weight and help build good habits about stress, food, and activity.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I'm fat. Fatter than I was when I was merely chubby. 2021 didn't help but poor decisions factor in as well. My wife and I are doing NOOM to lose weight and help build good habits about stress, food, and activity.
Would really appreciate if you could report back on your experience with Noom.. my understanding is that it is a form of cognitive behavioral therapy targeted at your relationship with food - does that sound right?
Old 01-04-2022, 11:44 AM

Speaking of IF- allowing four hours before last meal and bed with no snacking helps to facilitate this. And there are the additional benefits of better sleep and overall wellness.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Speaking of IF- allowing four hours before last meal and bed with no snacking helps to facilitate this. And there are the additional benefits of better sleep and overall wellness.
This is the hardest thing for me. I'm ALWAYS hungry later in the evening - and when looking at my calorie count, I have room to take something in.. usually that ends up being unsweetened soy-milk and high-fiber cereal - a couple hundred calories. Helps me sleep, so maybe its not so bad. Then again, eating at 10p is not in anyone's book as being a good thing, unless you're in the middle of stage race or hard training block and are trying to maximize your carb uptake. Maybe I need to eat more at lunch and dinner? Afternoon snack?
Old 01-04-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Would really appreciate if you could report back on your experience with Noom.. my understanding is that it is a form of cognitive behavioral therapy targeted at your relationship with food - does that sound right?
We're just beginning but it does make you think about what you eat and encourages more filling foods over calorie dense. If I was cycling like I was three years ago, it might not be the right answer, but we're mostly doing it to be more mindful about what we eat. Everything that is wrong with me will improve with less of me. My wife and are both tall so we can carry a lot of weight. She's 6'3" and was a division one volleyball player for her undergrad. I'm 6'1" and fat. We both need to lose weight.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:15 PM

I think there needs to be more emphasis placed on “why” people eat certain foods as opposed to “what” foods they eat.

Are you eating to satiate hunger? Or ward off other things, such as boredom, anxiety, or depression. Also, most people are chronically dehydrated. Often times, being thirsty will manifest itself as hunger.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I think there needs to be more emphasis placed on “why” people eat certain foods as opposed to “what” foods they eat.

Are you eating to satiate hunger? Or ward off other things, such as boredom, anxiety, or depression. Also, most people are chronically dehydrated. Often times, being thirsty will manifest itself as hunger.
Could not agree more. That's why I find Noom interesting.. Though there are probably low-tech solutions as well. Mindful Eating, etc.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
I rode 365 hours last year. Burned 350,000 calories based on data from a HRM. I also managed to gain 5 lbs Clean39T is right; you can't out-exercise a bad diet. At least I can't, not with my genes.
As a guy who needs to lose 30lbs, I can concur. I didnt exercise enough either over this past year (always use my kids as an excuse - need to stop doing that!) but I see a doctor about another health issue, and he said that diet is by far more important. He suggested the 80 / 20 rule - 80% diet and 20% exercise.

I am guilty on both counts - too much food, too little exercise.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
As a guy who needs to lose 30lbs, I can concur. I didnt exercise enough either over this past year (always use my kids as an excuse - need to stop doing that!) but I see a doctor about another health issue, and he said that diet is by far more important. He suggested the 80 / 20 rule - 80% diet and 20% exercise.

I am guilty on both counts - too much food, too little exercise.

But this presupposes that fat loss is the only benefit of movement (exercise) It’s not. There’s cardiovascular function, increased bone density, increased flexibility and proprioception, etc

Put another way: if person “A” chain-smoked (which is a known appetite suppressant) rarely exercised and ate nothing but alfalfa sprouts and lettuce and was quite thin and person “B” has a little muddle-aged spread (the proverbial “20lbs to lose”), but exercised consistently, person “B” would be significantly healthier overall.

These are extremes, granted. I’m just trying to illustrate a larger point. No pun intended.

Last edited by XXtwindad; 01-04-2022 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
I rode 365 hours last year. Burned 350,000 calories based on data from a HRM. I also managed to gain 5 lbs Clean39T is right; you can't out-exercise a bad diet. At least I can't, not with my genes.
That’s a surprising number of calories burned per hour. If you average 180 watts over 60 minutes on a trainer, you burn about 650 calories. That’s pretty hard riding, at least in my book. After an hour and a half of that kind of effort, about 1000 calories burned, I’m wasted and slimy.

Can’t even imagine the effort it takes to average 950 calories per hour.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:59 PM

I just started reading a book called Peak 40, looking for tips to lose a few pounds and feel sharper.

https://www.chelseagreen.com/product...UaAs7GEALw_wcB

The author had another book called Peak for folks that are still in their prime - that's not me right now.

So far, it supports most of what folks are suggesting. I've been enjoying it and learning more nuance around topics.

For example, Intermittent Fasting is a great tool and is recommended, but if you're already overweight, it's best to not push breakfast too late as your insulin levels won't moderate properly and you'll end up with swings that trigger cravings. This is not an issue for folks that are already not particularly overweight and active.

The book also delves into better ways to structure meals so that your body will maintain lower insulin levels and burn fat more efficiently. i.e. have a foundation of protein, then adjust fats and carbohydrates as your activity level dictates.

The author recommends starting your day with about 20 grams of protein for breakfast.

Another interesting tidbit was that you can only lose about 0.5-1% of your body weight per week in fat. Anything above that is water and muscle, which you clearly don't want to lose.

I'm only a third of the way through the book, but it has some interesting ideas I'd like to incorporate and understand on a personal level.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
I'm in!

I also added a starting and target FTP, for those who want to also track this. (Hope the OP doesn't mind!)
No worries, we added the target miles last year and this is an inherited worksheet.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
This is the hardest thing for me. I'm ALWAYS hungry later in the evening - and when looking at my calorie count, I have room to take something in.. usually that ends up being unsweetened soy-milk and high-fiber cereal - a couple hundred calories. Helps me sleep, so maybe its not so bad. Then again, eating at 10p is not in anyone's book as being a good thing, unless you're in the middle of stage race or hard training block and are trying to maximize your carb uptake. Maybe I need to eat more at lunch and dinner? Afternoon snack?
Not going to lie, the first 1-3 weeks of IF when I don't eat anything after 8:00 PM was PAIN. I have hunger pain before going to sleep, wake up in the middle of the night, etc.

But like a switch, after the third week my body adapted and understood that there is no food coming until the next day. And I was not suffering anymore. If you can HTFU for the first 3 weeks your body will be conditioned for it.

As usual, I am not a doctor and please consult with yours ...
Old 01-04-2022, 01:36 PM

I have always lost weight when I went to bed hungry. Yes, it is painful to lie awake before nodding-off when suffering, but once asleep, the pain evaporates. Fortunately, I don't awake in the middle of night with hunger pangs.

I also agree that the first three weeks of food restriction is the most challenging interval in the process. The body (and mind) do adapt to the change in caloric deprivation.

Good luck all.