Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
My goal is to primarily eat nutrient dense, minimally processed, plant-based foods off the bike - and let that naturally get me where I want to go. It always has in the past. And it also has really beneficial overall health benefits on top of that, at least for me. Win win.
Sounds like a plan. Getting the optimal weight is a byproduct. The calories in/calories out accounting is a dead end and does not seem to help people.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
I have some friends who have really good things to say about the Noom app. I am tempted to give it a try myself.

I just looked at it and would agree. It looks like it would be worth trying if it actually works beyond the time I’m paying for Noom (looks like 16 weeks-ish). What have your friends said about sustainability once finished with noom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2022, 08:40 AM

They (two of them) have kept the weight off, but I think it is too early to tell. Noom seems focused on instilling good habits so it should be more sustainable than crash dieting, in theory at least :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
What have your friends said about sustainability once finished with noom?
Old 01-03-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
They (two of them) have kept the weight off, but I think it is too early to tell. Noom seems focused on instilling good habits so it should be more sustainable than crash dieting, in theory at least :-)

Thanks! I’ve never been a fan of crash dieting either. I used running and counting calories to loose 50lbs years ago and the counting plus working out thing has always worked for me. Lately, I’ve kinda gotten lax about really accurately counting and I’ve also allowed myself to eat a ton of really crappy food. I need to get back to paying attention to what and how much I’m consuming. I’m learning that it’s something I’m going to always have to battle.

Old 01-03-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
The calories in/calories out accounting is a dead end and does not seem to help people.
I am doing some of this to start though.. just to regain perspective on how many calories are in some of the foods I've been eating. It's a great way to remember that cheese/dairy are killers, that you can cook vegetables without oil, etc. But long term, learning to stop eating when you're full, and eating foods that make you full before you've overconsumed (i.e., vegetables and fiber-containing proteins/grains), will make it so you don't need to track things beyond gauging if you are eating enough on the bike to fuel your performance.

Noom is intriguing because I do think a lot of us have social/psychological maladaptations around food and eating - things like rewarding yourself with beer/pizza/ice-cream after a long ride, eating beyond when you are full just because it's on your plate, or only eating certain foods after exercising. I'll be curious to hear what others' experience is with it.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:54 AM

I've found taking the time to count calories & log what I was eating (My Fitness Pal, free!) and weigh portions for a time helped me to get a handle on how many calories I was actually consuming and where to make the changes. From this it was easy to see where I was going wrong and do a few changes to get to the point where I was in a 500ish cal deficit for the day.

And it is all about calories in/out and thermogenics, the trick is to eat more low calorie high bulk foods that leave you satiated while running a daily deficit,

We all have a massive advantage with cycling! it's something that burns a bunch of calories and is fun! A few easy mods on the eating side, maybe up the intensity and/or time on the bike and it's not too difficult to reach a target weight if you take the time to figure it out & do it sustainably. Just don't get crazy about it, weight loss is a process, not an event.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:02 AM

My wife loves Noom, I think I'll jump on it too.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
Just don't get crazy about it, weight loss is a process, not an event.
I like that way of looking at it.

I also think of it as establishing a "new normal". My goal isn't to get to 170-175lbs and claim job-done - it is to get to that point, which represents a healthy, sustainable BF% for me - and have that be where I stay because I'm eating appropriately and healthfully for myself at that weight.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:08 AM

Intermittent fasting plus CICO is what worked for me a year ago. I am used to it that I just drink black coffee in the morning. If I plan to a ride, or intensive activities like skiing then I will eat some breakfast.

I found that IF with any calories tracking app will work.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
Intermittent fasting plus CICO is what worked for me a year ago. I am used to it that I just drink black coffee in the morning. If I plan to a ride, or intensive activities like skiing then I will eat some breakfast.

I found that IF with any calories tracking app will work.

IF plus counting calories worked really well for me last year until I started having an issue with sensitivity in my gut and esophagus. I was having really bad burning and ended up getting scoped and they implanted a sensory to monitor the pH of my esophagus. Turns out I have what’s called functional heartburn. My interpretation of this is I’m a wimp. This doesn’t change the fact that when I drink caffeine it drys throat out really bad and makes me clear my throat a ton. It kinda put me off the IF as I was really into having coffee in the AM. I tried decaf and tea but just not the same.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
I plan to focus more on weight training in addition to riding. Hope that if I gain some muscle it would help with metabolism and more calorie burning.

My doctor is also not happy with the trends in my cholesterol number.

Unless you are obese, the scale is not the best barometer of fitness. If you are focused on weight training (and you should be, because it’s a part of any balanced fitness regimen) the resulting muscle will show up as a net weight gain on the scale. Best to get an underwater body comp test to determine muscle/fat composition.
Old 01-03-2022, 12:43 PM

Plus one on intermittent fasting. If you're addicted to breakfast it can be hard. But once you learn to restrict eating to those 8 magical hours, and not binge, it works.

Long-time cereal and milk guy here. Took a while to adjust.
Old 01-03-2022, 12:48 PM

I also made a decision a few years ago to uncouple cycling from all other performance objectives. I have enough of those in my job. So I removed my cycling computer, stopped the subscription to Strava, even remove my watch. Just pure zen and the sound of the gears whirring. If I think of cycling as a means to weight loss, that will ruin it for me. I want it to be pure escape, every time, like that feeling you had as a kid riding down the block on your bike, away from cares. I now only think about weight loss on the bike when I'm dragging my mortal coil up an incline. Enough motivation there.
Old 01-03-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyBob View Post
I also made a decision a few years ago to uncouple cycling from all other performance objectives. I have enough of those in my job. So I removed my cycling computer, stopped the subscription to Strava, even remove my watch. Just pure zen and the sound of the gears whirring. If I think of cycling as a means to weight loss, that will ruin it for me. I want it to be pure escape, every time, like that feeling you had as a kid riding down the block on your bike, away from cares. I now only think about weight loss on the bike when I'm dragging my mortal coil up an incline. Enough motivation there.
Can I get an “amen?” Thank you Brother!!!
Old 01-03-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I'm in.. down from 192 to 186 since Thanksgiving-ish. Goal is to get back to 170-175, which I haven't seen in a long time, and stay there. Intermediate goal is 180 by mid-Feb. Eating clean off the bike and fueling my workouts so I can keep hitting my power targets on the bike. Should get it done. FTP is around 290W now, hope to push that to 310-320W this year.
Respectfully, see above. Some of those numbers are chimeric. What will it take to reach (and sustain) those numbers, and will it lead to self-fulfillment?