Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2022, 05:30 PM

I plateaued around 190-194 for weeks. Finally dropped into high 180s. Hit 185 which is below target of 187. BUT two days later I am at 190. I drink a ton but I think re-hydration must take my body a few days. I am 65 and have not weighed this little since pre high school. It can be done. I do body weight stuff for strength and my strength has improved markedly though I am still a weakling. I am more focused now on getting lean and losing fat than hitting a number.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:47 PM

Whoever wrote above, “Muzzle your pie hole” (their entire post!), thank you!

That really hit home and the payoff is 9 pounds gone in 3 weeks. Down from 239 to 230 and still headed south!

Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2022, 12:37 PM

I'm the opposite than what most want to do as far as losing weight. During cycling season, I have a hard time keeping it on. I'm 6'1" and vary between 150-155lbs, BMI ~20. I find it hard to chow a bunch of food after club rides on mon/thurs nights mainly because by the time I get home and eat, it's 9pm. Don't want to go to bed on a full stomach. Then there's the weekend ride(s) which can be longish (60-80mi) and I know I'm not replenishing lost calories to cover the deficit. Part of the problem I think is cutting back on some carbs lately, trying to better control blood glucose (I'm not pre-diabetic) and reduce cholesterol. I do eat pretty healthy otherwise, but always been hard to gain weight, even in the off season.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:12 PM

Good job everyone. I am stuck at my weight at the beginning of the year. need to be more disciplined.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
Good job everyone. I am stuck at my weight at the beginning of the year. need to be more disciplined.
Just start.

Not to brag or sound vain, but in retrospect my weight loss journey this year has had a significant effect on my overall well-being. Really enjoying being back to “fighting weight”.

I realized that in the crazy world we’re all living in nowadays, it’s a tiny piece of life one can easily control a bit that has a measurable, positive outcome.

You posted, so you’re thinking about it. Do it.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:47 PM

Here is my motivation for losing weight. My son graduated from Annapolis today and I was able to wear my old (retired in 2012) summer whites for the ceremony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grad.jpg (89.4 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg hug.jpg (73.6 KB, 81 views)
Old 05-27-2022, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
Just start.

Not to brag or sound vain, but in retrospect my weight loss journey this year has had a significant effect on my overall well-being. Really enjoying being back to “fighting weight”.

I realized that in the crazy world we’re all living in nowadays, it’s a tiny piece of life one can easily control a bit that has a measurable, positive outcome.

You posted, so you’re thinking about it. Do it.
Thanks. I have been working out regularly so it is a diet issue. Need to cut out the junk food.
Old 05-28-2022, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Here is my motivation for losing weight. My son graduated from Annapolis today and I was able to wear my old (retired in 2012) summer whites for the ceremony.
Congetulations Big Bill!
Jon
Old 06-03-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
DUDE...........I trimmed the beard and I GAINED weight. I think it kicked off a scientific reaction of extra estrogen production

But for real........I'm pissed. Better habits start TODAY. Goal is to be 175 by my birthday on June 18.

Posting this here so I can keep myself honest.....

Welp…..I’m just 15 days out from my birthday and it doesn’t look like I’m going to reach my “goal” weight by then but I’ll celebrate this mornings small victory of breaking 200 from peak of 219.

Consistency has been the key

Old 06-03-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Ummmm............so this is probably the most bada&& pic ever posted on Paceline. Congrats DAD and congrats to your son for graduating.

I always, always, always wanted to join the Navy. (was even named after the Destroyer my Grandpa served on in WWII........sigh)

Thank you both for your service.
Old 06-03-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Welp…..I’m just 15 days out from my birthday and it doesn’t look like I’m going to reach my “goal” weight by then but I’ll celebrate this mornings small victory of breaking 200 from peak of 219.

Consistency has been the key

Nicely done, Doug! What was the secret sauce for you? Combination of diet/exercise?
Old 06-03-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Nicely done, Doug! What was the secret sauce for you? Combination of diet/exercise?
Thanks bud. I work from home behind computer all day and travel at least every other week for work and I got into this habit of making the excuse of "well I just don't have the time to ride" so I'd do NOTHING instead of something.

So I committed to trying to ride 3x week for at least 1.5 hrs and if I couldn't find that time I'd walk for brisk 45 minutes. I think that ultimately is what sparked a few pounds and I just started feeling better and the desire to continually improve (consistency) kicked in (finally). Good habits breed good habits.

Cutting booze was another thing. No more empty calories M-F and instead save it for weekend. I've found it makes those weekend beers that much tastier (and effective )

And hey.....I'm growing the beard back as a reward so that's a bonus
Old 06-03-2022, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks bud. I work from home behind computer all day and travel at least every other week for work and I got into this habit of making the excuse of "well I just don't have the time to ride" so I'd do NOTHING instead of something.

So I committed to trying to ride 3x week for at least 1.5 hrs and if I couldn't find that time I'd walk for brisk 45 minutes. I think that ultimately is what sparked a few pounds and I just started feeling better and the desire to continually improve (consistency) kicked in (finally). Good habits breed good habits.

Cutting booze was another thing. No more empty calories M-F and instead save it for weekend. I've found it makes those weekend beers that much tastier (and effective )

And hey.....I'm growing the beard back as a reward so that's a bonus
Really smart regimen.

I think part of the issue with people that come from a high-achieving/athletic background such as yourself is the perception that if the work-out isn’t going to be an epic ass-kicker, why bother? I know a few people like this. But unless you really have the time to climb 4,000 feet everyday, that’s not the way the real world works.

A brisk 45 minute walk is the perfect solution. It may not win you kudos and plaudits on Strava, but it’s going to go a lot further toward improving your health and fitness.
Old 06-03-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Really smart regimen.

I think part of the issue with people that come from a high-achieving/athletic background such as yourself is the perception that if the work-out isn’t going to be an epic ass-kicker, why bother? I know a few people like this. But unless you really have the time to climb 4,000 feet everyday, that’s not the way the real world works.

A brisk 45 minute walk is the perfect solution. It may not win you kudos and plaudits on Strava, but it’s going to go a lot further toward improving your health and fitness.
So much truth in all those statements. I really credit my wife for changing my view or perception of "if I can't go ride for 2hrs at 200 watts then really what's the point".

In fact I had an epiphany last night: after getting some miles under my belt for past month or so my wife encouraged me to do an old staple the Thursday night group ride. It's nice leisurely and then sustained climb for about the last mile with about a 400M hammerfest at end. I remember the days I'd attack way too early and drive the pace and just make it miserable for anyone who wanted to 'play'. Last night I faded to the back at the base of the climb and half way up was passed by dude on MTB........and you know what, it's ok, the fitness will come.

Try that again in July mr. fast guy on a MTB
Old 06-03-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Ummmm............so this is probably the most bada&& pic ever posted on Paceline. Congrats DAD and congrats to your son for graduating.

I always, always, always wanted to join the Navy. (was even named after the Destroyer my Grandpa served on in WWII........sigh)

Thank you both for your service.
You're welcome. My son has a varsity letter in cycling from USNA. His bikes, wheels, and components came from this forum's classifieds. We're hauling the RV to Payson this afternoon.