Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-31-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
That Ottrott looks awesome freshened up. Any idea what his process was for stripping the paint? I’ve stripped paint of a Ti frame before, but never carbon. Looks like a fun project.
Don't know his process, but you might try contacting him...he's a great guy...
allan.wanta@hotmail.com
Old 11-01-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Nice work, Steve pal!
Thank you Weisan!
Old 11-01-2020, 12:42 PM

Alexi Grewal Coors Light Softride

It has progressed a bit from this photo but is still in my stand awaiting touching up the purple, and hopefully some replacement Campagnolo and Serotta decals. Had one short ride on it the day I finished the cables and bar tape. I'm happy with the progress from where the project was 2 months ago, when it was still in Dave Kirk's shop and I didn't even have a fork. It may never be truly finished unless I feel wealthy enough at some point to justify professional refinishing and a 1993-4 Record group. Thanks to Dave for the repairs, thollandpe for the frame and slowgoing for the fork.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20201020_23_27_59_Pro.jpg (95.6 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg full right DK floor.jpg (115.0 KB, 376 views)
Old 11-01-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Collecting parts for this little gem....

Been hanging on a hook here for years.

My son outgrew it before I got started with the build.

It won't be for me, but will be a fun loaner for two of my wife's cousins in Germany when they visit.
Is that a Rapid Tour? What size?
Old 11-01-2020, 01:35 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
New arrival Grandis is off to Franklin Frames for dropout replacement. Will be Springtime for this one. Can't wait.
Glad the Grandis arrived safely. And of course happy I could get you a replacement dropout. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 11-01-2020, 01:43 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
Is that a Rapid Tour? What size?
Not rapid tour....Does not have the cast seat cluster or the braze ons for a rear rack. Looks like a Colorado II.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1togo View Post
Not really a "winter" project (I live in Phoenix) but since I'm lacking some mobility due to a recent TKR, this will keep me busy...
I wasn't really happy with the existing paint scheme on my Ottrott so off it went to Allan Wanta for a re-do.....stripped to bare carbon and titanium...sprayed with semi gloss clear over minimum decals for an understated look. I'm happy!
build will be with Ultegra/Dura Ace, Thomson stem,carbon bars and seat-post, and Mavic Krysium Pro Carbon SL UST wheels with Schwalbe Plus One tubeless 30mm.

Old
New
Dang that is nice- I'd like that finish on my Nove` - is the Ti bead blasted or matt paint?
Old 11-01-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoz View Post
Dang that is nice- I'd like that finish on my Nove` - is the Ti bead blasted or matt paint?
Allan stripped both the finish on the carbon and the black paint on the ti...he didn't have the equipment to bead blast the ti and told me that sending it out was expensive. So the Ti was stripped, grinded (?) (assorted wheels on a hand grinder) and buffed....the whole bike was then clear coated....The Titanium came out great, it is a different finish from bead blasted.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1togo View Post
Allan stripped both the finish on the carbon and the black paint on the ti...he didn't have the equipment to bead blast the ti and told me that sending it out was expensive. So the Ti was stripped, grinded (?) (assorted wheels on a hand grinder) and buffed....the whole bike was then clear coated....The Titanium came out great, it is a different finish from bead blasted.
Awesome! thanks for the info!
Old 11-01-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Not rapid tour....Does not have the cast seat cluster or the braze ons for a rear rack. Looks like a Colorado II.
I wouldn't have thought that a Colorado would have had room for fenders, CRT is the only caliper brake model I could think of that I thought would.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:05 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
I wouldn't have thought that a Colorado would have had room for fenders, CRT is the only caliper brake model I could think of that I thought would.
I have a CII and a CRT. The CII will take thin fenders with a narrow tire. The CRT has a higher brake bridge. He may have had the bridge raised when he had the mounts for disks added. But the seat cluster is wrong for a CRT.

Btw, I love your soft ride restoration. What was wrong with the frame?
Old 11-02-2020, 08:43 AM

Frame was cracked almost completely around the rear part of the top tube. Dave said they originally used a thin tube there knowing that it wouldn't last forever. I believe he replaced it with something with thicker walls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20200502_22_37_48_Pro.jpg (54.9 KB, 277 views)
Old 11-02-2020, 08:46 AM

Gazelle special edition Team EEMLAND.

And probably will built the cyfac gothica I have moving around unless somebody buys it :P Since i got it i want to repaint it so the lugs are more visible. Maybe a TVM team type of work, been questioning this for a while. Winter coming so have time to spend on this.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:51 AM

If you do some brazing you can reinforce that thing from the outside IMO, and do like a tapper like of finish?? too much of a work to just replace the tube. IMO.

Quote:
Frame was cracked almost completely around the rear part of the top tube. Dave said they originally used a thin tube there knowing that it wouldn't last forever. I believe he replaced it with something with thicker walls.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:53 AM

We talked about an external repair but Dave decided to replace the tube. He said it was more work than he expected.