Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2022, 10:08 AM

Just finishing two weeks in France

Relatively small, one-laners without too much traffic are a fun little merry go round. Bigger, busier, two-laners can scare the bjesus out of the most skilled rider. Good to have a route in the Garmin, have the map set to 3d view, so you know exactly which "hole" you are shooting for. Not for the faint of heart.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
Relatively small, one-laners without too much traffic are a fun little merry go round. Bigger, busier, two-laners can scare the bjesus out of the most skilled rider. Good to have a route in the Garmin, have the map set to 3d view, so you know exactly which "hole" you are shooting for. Not for the faint of heart.
I think it depends on the drivers and how common roundabouts are. We have lots of roundabouts in England and absolutely no issues...

I think the issue is moron drivers in the US
Old 05-28-2022, 10:56 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitlets View Post
All the roundabouts in DC are like this and it's the worst combination of road design.
Those were designed by L'Enfant when?

Me? I'd much rather deal with a roundabout than a stop light or sign. 1. cars more or less keep moving so I can act like a car too and 2. there's less last minute switching lanes as people try to 'get there first.'

YMMV

M
Old 05-28-2022, 10:57 AM

They took out a series of 2 lights and a stop sign along the strip in front of the high school where I teach. It still backs up, but not nearly as badly as it used to when there were traffic lights.

since I ride into work 2-4 times a week, I've found it a mixed bag. The issue isn't the roundabouts, it's more the asshat rednecks in their pickem up trucks who decide I'm a target - that's only when I'm leaving school to go home. In the morning there's no traffic and I actually go through all 3 and then take a side road into the school from the other end because you can accelerate through those things on a bicycle!

The after school thing I've had to ride up on the bricks in the center to avoid people who decided to go anyway because they're vehicle wins. It comes down to my usual attitude when riding - always assume everyone else will do the wrong thing and be ready for it.

Also- full hi-vis yellow or orange kit w/ front light and rear flashing (daytime visible) on the bike as well.
Old 05-28-2022, 11:26 AM

My town (Concord, MA) has a roundabout, and rotary, and several 4-way stops. Each is too different in regard to layout and traffic to do a 100% comparison, but here's my impressions:

The rotary is at an intersection of a 4 lane divided highway (2 lanes in each direction) and 3 secondary roads. This rotary has always been a problem for cars, and is far too dangerous for bicycles, so I have never attempted to ride my bike through it. Every once in a while I see a cyclist go through the rotary and been amazed that they weren't struck by a motor vehicle.

The roundabout is in the center of town, and tends to be quite busy. The traffic flow is quicker and smoother than a 4 way stop would be, and is usually fine for bicycles. But all too often when I cycle through the roundabout cars entering from one of the feeding streets will cut me off and force me to take evasive action.

The 4 way stops are slower to get through, and when traffic is heavier can cause backups. These are less efficiency for overall traffic flow (both motorized and non-motorized). But on the other hand, I find that motor vehicles are better at respecting the right-of-way of a bicycle, and I have been cut-off less frequently than at the roundabout.
Old 05-28-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
I think it depends on the drivers and how common roundabouts are. We have lots of roundabouts in England and absolutely no issues...

This. I'd been riding bikes on the road seriously for a decade prior to leaving England and never had an issue at a roundabout. But I have been hit by cars twice while they pulled across me into a side road while coming from the opposite direction.... And have had many drivers in the U.S. almost run stop signs while I've been crossing the junction. Gimme a roundabout over a four way stop any day of the week.

I don't necessarily agree with that last statement as the study was in Europe, and generally Californian drivers (where I am anyway) are very, very courteous to cyclists. Had way more near misses in Kent, Surrey and Essex than I ever did in New York or California.
Old 05-28-2022, 11:53 AM

Roundabouts have been becoming more common here. I don’t have any problem riding my bike though them. You have to be aware and assertive when riding though them. I have had more problems driving through them, some people just go straight through without yielding to others that have the right of way.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisroph View Post
I like them generally if designed right but have had numb nuts, usually pickup drivers, not want to yield to a road monkey in lycra on a bike with the right of way. That attitude is not restricted to roundabouts of course.
In my area I don't worry much about pickup drivers...haven't had any issues with them, it's the Tesla drivers you have to really keep an eye out for. Everyone AND their mother has one and a high percentage of them are regularly clueless, distracted, and/or complete a-holes on the road. I'm always vigilant, but Tesla drivers and roundabouts always shift me into hyper-vigilant mode. That's based on combined experiences both from the driving and riding standpoint.

YMMV.
W.
Old 05-28-2022, 02:54 PM

I try to ride 1% or less in what I consider city traffic. I ride about 4 miles through Estes Park and use the new roundabout that gets me to the Hwy 34/36 intersection. It's was fine all last year. Much better than a 4 way stop.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post

In my experience, Americans just don’t know how to properly use a roundabout.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQJ View Post
It's not their fault -- American cars can only go in straight lines.
Old 05-29-2022, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fried bake View Post
This is interesting. It sounds like the roundabout has caused people to run stop signs. Is the typical roundabout design to have stop signs at entrances?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it has stop signs, it is not a roundabout. A roundabout design requires only yielding to traffic already in the circle. If you are a bike already in the circle, everyone yields to you until you make your exit.

The current roundabout design paradigm is quite safe for all users, but in the US has distinct challenges:
- drivers have not necessarily been taught how to use them, or have taken the time to understand the rules
- there are a number of legacy ‘traffic circle’ designs still in operation which do not have the same rules. This causes confusion and if nothing else, a cynical response to the roundabout design.

My observation is that roundabouts in the US which replace three way intersections are the most successful. A good roundabout greatly improves traffic flow, and saves fuel. Win-win.

BTW there are lot of good ideas out there in modern traffic design which serve all users. Pick up any of Jeff Speck’s books for a good read and some good thinking.
Old 05-29-2022, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
It's not their fault -- American cars can only go in straight lines.
Except when we're weaving in and out of traffic like maniacs.
Old 05-29-2022, 05:03 AM

If idling cars at stops are one issue, then towns should work on timing their traffic lights to keep traffic moving. In my town they appear to be timed for a stop at every light.
Old 05-29-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQJ View Post
I can’t speak for everyone, but it was true in my case. When I moved to my new neighborhood, I drove incorrectly through one and got yelled at. By a cyclist.

Lesson learned.